Sprint TEP raising prices from $8 to $11 starting June 16?

newboyx

I plan on cancelling once I get a new phone. Good Sprint phones (not even old ones) go for 200 and less on craigslist, so if the deductible is going to be that high, I might as well save the $11 a month and cancel TEP.

It looks like the TEP insurance is going to raise prices again from $8 to $11/month and the phone deductible will be raised from $50 or $100 to $150 or $200 depending on the phone starting June 16.

Personally I think it is ridiculous that insurance will cost over $10/month. Every other major carrier still maintains its phone insurance at $7/month. I cancelled my insurance about 6 months ago after having it for about 1.5 years. I ended up using my insurance only once because I couldn't receive calls and got it mainly because the HTC Touch Pro was an unreliable phone. I can see a lot of cancellations on the phone insurance if its $11/month.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-tep-going-11-lte-devices-come-june-16-could-be-day-lte-goes-live

20 months between upgrades * $11 per month + $200 deductible = $420

Cost of a new phone off contract about $550...

At that rate, you're almost better off paying yourself the $11 per month, especially if you have multiple lines.

I need to stop paying insurance just so I have $8/ mo less I have to come up with.

If you don't do much to your phone, then you don't really need the insurance. Even as much as hacking as I do on Android, I haven't bricked a phone yet. To be honest, if the deductibles are also increasing as well to $150 - $200 then I mind as well find a used phone on craigslist for cheaper. I only plan to use the phone for 2 years anyways because new ones will be far superior than my current phone.

If you don't do much to your phone, then you don't really need the insurance. Even as much as hacking as I do on Android, I haven't bricked a phone yet. To be honest, if the deductibles are also increasing as well to $150 - $200 then I mind as well find a used phone on craigslist for cheaper. I only plan to use the phone for 2 years anyways because new ones will be far superior than my current phone.

It was a good thing I had my insurance last year, but I hope to never have my phone stolen ever again, or lose it for that matter.

It was a good thing I had my insurance last year, but I hope to never have my phone stolen ever again, or lose it for that matter.

http://www.amazon.com/Parachute-Military-7-Strand-Camping-Survival/dp/B001B6LFLU that costs less than 1 month of insurance, and you can tie the phone to your belt loop. You could even make it just short enough to stop the fall before it hits the floor.

I won't tell you what we call that in the military though... oh ok (dummy cord) lol

http://www.amazon.com/Parachute-Military-7-Strand-Camping-Survival/dp/B001B6LFLU that costs less than 1 month of insurance' date=' and you can tie the phone to your belt loop. You could even make it just short enough to stop the fall before it hits the floor.

I won't tell you what we call that in the military though... oh ok (dummy cord) lol[/quote']

However, that doesn't stop someone from robbing you right in your home.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

• 2 weeks later...

I get that Sprint is hurting for revenue etc but c'mon this combined with the family plan changes will up my monthly bill by $11/mo. or $132/yr. So basically I am paying an additional month for my service. What do I get for the increased cost in terms of utility? It doesn't drop my deductible (it increases). It doesn't increase my network speeds (they have decreased). It doesn't give me faster phone upgrades (they have lengthened the period between upgrades).

I am actually getting fed up with Sprint right now because this bill creep keeps happening and I am frankly tired of it. Network Vision sounds cool and I hope it turns out well. However, what also sounds cool is paying $10 more than Sprint will be charging me AND having a complete network on Verizon.

I get that Sprint is hurting for revenue etc but c'mon this combined with the family plan changes will up my monthly bill by $11/mo. or $132/yr. So basically I am paying an additional month for my service. What do I get for the increased cost in terms of utility? It doesn't drop my deductible (it increases). It doesn't increase my network speeds (they have decreased). It doesn't give me faster phone upgrades (they have lengthened the period between upgrades).

I am actually getting fed up with Sprint right now because this bill creep keeps happening and I am frankly tired of it. Network Vision sounds cool and I hope it turns out well. However, what also sounds cool is paying $10 more than Sprint will be charging me AND having a complete network on Verizon.

As far as upping the monthly rate for insurance, that only applies to LTE phones. And I agree changes to discounts on rate plans isn't fun. But in the next year and a half, almost the entire Sprint network will be over-hauled and over-layed with LTE and it will be seamless, except where Sprint doesn't have coverage. Give them a chance. I am, and my service got worse after 6 months of having Sprint but has been getting better this year.

• 1 month later...

...and of course the GSIII-32GB is in the more expensive bin (but not the most expensive one...that's reserved for the iPhone 4S).

Re: repairs, what am I hearing about a $35 repair fee? Does that cover any repair that wouldn't result in an insurance claim?

Then again, both times I've dropped my Epic by a Sprint store to get it repaired, they've ended up handing me a replacement phone. Both times were more than a year after I bought the first Epic (one ~14 months in, one ~20 months in).

I've never needed to file an insurance claim...the only phone I've ever gotten wet was my Touch Pro, which continued functioning perfectly afterwards and never required a repair or replacement (I actually bought that phone outright, but it was during a period where Sprint insurance could be applied to such a phone).

So with all that in mind, I wonder what I should do here. I want to make sure I can get my phone repaired/replaced if the problem is the fault of the phone (every single one of my problems have been). I don't, on the other hand, need strictly-speaking insurance because if it's my fault that the phone is broken (has never happened) I'll just suck it up, get a cheap, unsubsidized Android phone and go from there.

Any suggestions, interwebs?