Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE

Abyss19707

Any Photon Q users in active LTE markets? I'd like to know how the radios perform on this phone, plus also if you have a comparison between it and the SGS III, I'd love to see how they compare side by side.

Picked up my Photon Q on Sunday. I am very impressed with the quality and connectivity with this phone! Not only do you get EVDO Roaming by default, but suddenly Sprint's 3G seems better than Verizon in most places now! I don't know how this is possible, but in places where I've gotten 0.05 to 0.15 MPBS download rates, I suddenly am getting 1.5 MBPS or higher. Upload speeds are in the low 1's as well, which just blows my mind. Mind you, this is in South Carolina, where the Sprint network has really been lacking lately. Couldn't be Network Vision, because my old Photon wasn't getting these speeds on the very same day.

Anybody have any ideas, or other Photon Q users out there experiencing the same? Please share! :)

So I just went up from my iPhone 4S and was getting .15-.2 down all the time..and.05 to .15 up....with this phone I have been seeing between .75-1.4 down...I was curious too...my phone says its connected to EvDo-rev.A:8.... I am wondering if this has anything to do with it....could anyone with a WiMax Motorola Photon chime in and say (if it does) what its connected to (A:6 or A:8)....my Evo Shift doesn't say (just EvDo rev A) and I'm wondering if its an LTE thing or a Motorola thing...and maybe someone with a GS3 or Evo LTE see what theirs say....its just weird that this phone does awesome on data and others connected to the same tower have horrible speeds...

• Like 1

So I just went up from my iPhone 4S and was getting .15-.2 down all the time..and.05 to .15 up....with this phone I have been seeing between .75-1.4 down...I was curious too...my phone says its connected to EvDo-rev.A:8.... I am wondering if this has anything to do with it....could anyone with a WiMax Motorola Photon chime in and say (if it does) what its connected to (A:6 or A:8)....my Evo Shift doesn't say (just EvDo rev A) and I'm wondering if its an LTE thing or a Motorola thing...and maybe someone with a GS3 or Evo LTE see what theirs say....its just weird that this phone does awesome on data and others connected to the same tower have horrible speeds...

My Photon just says "Network Type: CDMA - EvDo Rev. A"

Doesn't have the number after it. I think it's a ICS thing, given that the Photon (WiMax) has Gingerbread still.

I've noticed this, and several other Photon Q users have also mentioned the improvement in data performance over previous devices under identical and familiar conditions.

We don't have an explanation, or even any really good guesses, but we'll take it! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Just FYI to anyone with the Q that might be interested, there appears to be a new PRL as of today (non-corporate), 55008 (I did a random check and pulled it down, was previously on 55006). I managed to pull it with QPST and post it over on XDA, and sent digiblur a PM so he can throw his analysis goggles to it.

Just FYI to anyone with the Q that might be interested, there appears to be a new PRL as of today (non-corporate), 55008 (I did a random check and pulled it down, was previously on 55006). I managed to pull it with QPST and post it over on XDA, and sent digiblur a PM so he can throw his analysis goggles to it.

Thanks, I haven't looked at the 55xxx series yet. I bet it's the supposed international roaming prl for LTE devices on standard accounts . I still laugh at these international ones as GSM doesn't use prls.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

If I'd have known beforehand I'd be able to pull anything to begin with I would have pulled 55006 so you could compare changes too, but hadn't tried downloading the latest QPST and getting it working with the Q before seeing the new PRL pop up.

If I'd have known beforehand I'd be able to pull anything to begin with I would have pulled 55006 so you could compare changes too, but hadn't tried downloading the latest QPST and getting it working with the Q before seeing the new PRL pop up.

Where do you download QPST anyway? Or do you have to be a developer to get it?

I have a member that is giving me their Photon Q for $200 and an upgrade to the Premier Sponsor level. So I'll be rocking the Q soon too. I will put it through our radio performance testing for comparison to the other devices.

Robert

• Like 8

I have a member that is giving me their Photon Q for $200 and an upgrade to the Premier Sponsor level. So I'll be rocking the Q soon too. I will put it through our radio performance testing for comparison to the other devices.

Robert

Awesome, looking forward to reading a post or article on that!

• Like 1

Well, to people who didn't want this phone over International SIM card issues, there is good news.

According to XDA, the "embedded" SIM card is Removable. This will void your warranty, but, if you have the Photon Q and know about technology, chances are you probably voided the warranty by rooting it.

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1929143

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The Photon Q is now free at Sprint.com for new users. Not sure about upgrades though. Will update as soon as I know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Paradigm 3.0 using Forum Runner

• 3 months later...

I bought a used Photon Q on eBay ($145) so that I can save my upgrade subsidy for a later tri-band LTE phone this fall or winter. Hopefully, I made the right decision. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops, but it in the wrong thread. Apparently there is a soak test on going for an upgrade to the Photon Q over at xda

There is a link over at xda for the soak test, it's 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. I've downloaded and will install it on my wife's Q tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a used Photon Q on eBay ($145) so that I can save my upgrade subsidy for a later tri-band LTE phone this fall or winter. Hopefully, I made the right decision. :blush:

I am considering doing the same. How do you like the phone so far?

I wish more of the mid-priced 2012 phones would get JB upgrades (Viper, Victory, ZTE Flash). I want a stop-gap phone to get me LTE, and save my upgrade for later in the year, but I was so happy to have proper group text messaging on JB, I really don't want to go back to ICS. So MoPhoQ may be the way to go, even though I really have no need for the keyboard!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

I am considering doing the same. How do you like the phone so far?

I wish more of the mid-priced 2012 phones would get JB upgrades (Viper, Victory, ZTE Flash). I want a stop-gap phone to get me LTE, and save my upgrade for later in the year, but I was so happy to have proper group text messaging on JB, I really don't want to go back to ICS. So MoPhoQ may be the way to go, even though I really have no need for the keyboard!

I am satisfied with it. It sometimes has quirks in regards to charging and and touch screen sensitivity, but nothing serious. Whether that has to do with the phone model or the fact that I bought it used and slightly abused, I do not know.

My main desire is just to get Network Vision completed in my area and then upgrade this fall hopefully to a better phone that has triband LTE support and a removable SIM card.