Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE

Abyss19707

I see comments like this all over the place and it kind of bothers me. IMHO there is no reason' date=' except for the power user who keeps over three batteries, to be concerned about not being able to swap out batteries. There are to many alternatives out there now that cost less than a factory battery. They can also be as small as a carabiner. Personally I bought myself a 2500ma solar charger. I have only had to use it once and that was while I was vacationing at Disney with the gps on all day. Not picking on you. Just kinda throwing it out there.[/quote']

I swap batteries often. It's much quicker than charging. I don't want to have to have my phone tethered to a charger.

Sent with AOSP JB Toro on Forum Runner

I have only had to use it once and that was while I was vacationing at Disney with the gps on all day.

You had GPS active all day while at a Disney theme park??? What happened to "It's a small world after all"?

AJ

• Like 3

I swap batteries often. It's much quicker than charging. I don't want to have to have my phone tethered to a charger.

Sent with AOSP JB Toro on Forum Runner

To me its just easier to plug a usb backup in and keep moving. But to each his own. Besides, I don't have a choice :)

You had GPS active all day while at a Disney theme park??? What happened to "It's a small world after all"?

AJ

Its bigger than it looks! The GPS was for Foursquare before I realized Foursquare works acceptably well without GPS.

I sure hope you aren't comparing bars! Only measure actual signal strength. Maybe the bars reference was just for dramatic effect?

Robert

Yes I was joking with the bars :) Just actual use in their travel trailer. I can't wait for NV in their campground area. They are essentially in the overlap/edge coverage between two rural towers. I'm seriously hoping that the 20% gain with NV there is in coverage area, not signal strength near the tower.

I'm currently running a Photon Q and am surprised at the battery life, as it was one of my major concerns with this device.

I'm still concerned with battery replacement as the battery eventually deteriorates over the next couple of years, but for right now the "daily life" appears to be better than I honestly expected.

I'm slowly adding some normally heavy drain apps that run in the background to get an idea how much margin I have.

STILL, I'd greatly prefer a user replaceable battery!

• Like 2

Picked up my Photon Q on Sunday. I am very impressed with the quality and connectivity with this phone! Not only do you get EVDO Roaming by default, but suddenly Sprint's 3G seems better than Verizon in most places now! I don't know how this is possible, but in places where I've gotten 0.05 to 0.15 MPBS download rates, I suddenly am getting 1.5 MBPS or higher. Upload speeds are in the low 1's as well, which just blows my mind. Mind you, this is in South Carolina, where the Sprint network has really been lacking lately. Couldn't be Network Vision, because my old Photon wasn't getting these speeds on the very same day.

Anybody have any ideas, or other Photon Q users out there experiencing the same? Please share! :)

• Like 1

Ever since I have been able to add PRL 11119 to my Epic for EVDO roaming I have been perfectly happy with my service (i dont roam much but it helps when I do). Will I be able to add the 11119 PRL to this phone or do the new phones that are LTE capable use a different PRL numbering scheme?

Ever since I have been able to add PRL 11119 to my Epic for EVDO roaming I have been perfectly happy with my service (i dont roam much but it helps when I do). Will I be able to add the 11119 PRL to this phone or do the new phones that are LTE capable use a different PRL numbering scheme?

Read the post 2 before yours...

Read the post 2 before yours...

Saw it but was a bit suspect since it was never mentioned before (would be a big deal to many I think) as a feature. Is this the first phone to do this for non-business only plans? Is this the way LTE handsets will be going forward?

Saw it but was a bit suspect since it was never mentioned before (would be a big deal to many I think) as a feature. Is this the first phone to do this for non-business only plans? Is this the way LTE handsets will be going forward?

Well, it is advertised as a business phone. Even if it doesn't have the 3G roaming factory, all the other LTE phones have had people adding custom PRL. I'm sure that the Photon will as well.

Even if it doesn't have the 3G roaming factory...

Wait, there is a factory that makes 3G roaming? That blows my mind.

AJ

• Like 3

You would not want 11xxx PRL anyways on a 800SMR capable phone. You would want 12xxx.

Wow that phone looks amazing. I hope you could turn off the edge lit keys as I never had to look at the keys on my Epic. If I didn't already have my EVO I would seriously consider this phone. You just can't beat a real keyboard. I don't really mind the onscreen as much now especially since the evo has such a large screen but the keyboard is just odd to me at times and a find myself still cussing it after several months. It's great to see Sprint covering everyone's needs with a nice lineup of phones.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad Cartridge

• Like 2

The Photon Q is using a device specific PRL, which includes EV-DO roaming entries??? Am I missing something?

AJ

The Photon Q is using a device specific PRL, which includes EV-DO roaming entries??? Am I missing something?

AJ

That may be the case. My PRL, not changed or modified in any way, is 55006. On my drive to work, I go through a few roaming areas, particularly on Verizon and US Cellular. Both have given me EvDo, and download speeds up to 2.5 Mbps.

That may be the case. My PRL, not changed or modified in any way, is 55006. On my drive to work, I go through a few roaming areas, particularly on Verizon and US Cellular. Both have given me EvDo, and download speeds up to 2.5 Mbps.

What sort of plan do you have? Anything special about it? I am all over this if there is EVDO roaming country wide. I looked quick at the specs and it does show support for 1xRTT data (though maybe it would jusdt show EVDO and LTE or something).

Digiblur, is the PRL version number posted above something you have seen before?

What sort of plan do you have? Anything special about it? I am all over this if there is EVDO roaming country wide. I looked quick at the specs and it does show support for 1xRTT data (though maybe it would jusdt show EVDO and LTE or something).

Digiblur, is the PRL version number posted above something you have seen before?

No, nothing special about the plan that I have. It's an everything data share 1500 plan with 5 lines.

Nope.. But I doubt it has 3g roaming for all of the US like the corporate ones do.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Some of the South Carolina markets were among those where Sprint listed Alltel EV-DO as native in Sprint PRLs. Since Owen is located in the Palmetto State, I have to wonder if this is just a vestige of that relationship.

AJ

• Like 1

Some of the South Carolina markets were among those where Sprint listed Alltel EV-DO as native in Sprint PRLs. Since Owen is located in the Palmetto State, I have to wonder if this is just a vestige of that relationship.

AJ

That wouldn't explain why I get EvDo on US Cellular though, and in markets where my original Photon only got 1x.

I played with the Motorola Photon Q this past weekend at a Sprint store and I must say its a pretty solid device. At first I was adamant on not wanting another QWERTY keyboard smartphone since they add thickness. As I started playing with it, I actually kinda liked typing on the QWERTY keyboard again since the keys are nicely spaced out thanks to a 4.3 inch screen. It reminded me of the days I was using a HTC Touch Pro with the QWERTY keyboard. I will never be truly satisfied with a touch screen keyboard since I find the buttons to be too close to each other.

Some small beef I have with the Photon QWERTY keyboard is that since it is on a 4.3 inch screen vs. a 2.7 inch screen on my HTC Touch Pro that I find my thumbs to be reaching a bit to type horizontally. Also I don't like the fact that the battery wasn't much larger than 1785 maH (should have been at least 2000 to 2200 maH minimum) and the fact that it only has 8 GB ROM storage (about 5 GB after Android software). Nevertheless, I do like the phone and comparing it to my Photon 4G, I say its a solid device and definitely would suite the customers who have been looking for high end QWERTY smartphones.