Sign in to follow this  
shawn.j.virchow

Odd Tower Placement in Lincoln, Nebraska

So I was driving home from work the other day, and drove by this newly constructed tower, at the intersection of Adams St. and some unmarked road, but leads to the Windmill St. roundabout.

Is there a way to look up who operates on this tower?

http://g.co/maps/4dsb9

http://g.co/maps/pd6me

This tower I know is managed by Crown Castle, per the signage outside. I thought it was strange though because there's a very VERY large tower (one of the largest I've ever seen) just down the street that serves the area with Verizon 1X, 3G, and LTE, Sprint's 3G, and AT&T's 3G that would more than be enough for this area.

http://www.americantower.com/SiteLoc...nited%20states

My Transform Ultra (Boost Mobile/Sprint) shows five bars when I'm by both towers (not sure on db readings). The Cricket phone (which seems to have very similar coverage to the Sprint tower...) shows three bars, Verizon shows three bars, and AT&T shows no bars thanks to their complete neglect for Nebraska.

Also, I know of a tower that needs some serious attention. This tower is quite unique in the way it's been implemented, but has some horrible 3G speeds. The max I've ever gotten on this tower according to the Speedtest.Net app on Android is 0.10 down, 0.03 up. The oddly placed tower above in the first paragraph always gives me 2.53 down, 0.89 up, same with big red up there.

This site is unique because on the property, are four towers. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and Cricket, all within one area, independent from each other.

http://www.americantower.com/SiteLoc...nited%20states

Edited by shawn.j.virchow

I have seen sites with 2 or 3 towers that you could throw a rock and hit all of them from each other. Just one of those things.

S4GRU Sponsor members get access to maps that show every single Sprint site in the country. They are Google maps. You can zoom in, pan around and click on the site for information. Below is an example of your area.

Robert

gallery_1_1_186253.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By vanko987
      I'm new to this forum, and I've seen people mention cell sites with specific ID's (for example, SF33XC664). Is there any significance to these ID's, and is there a way to decode them? Also, how do I figure out what the cell site ID's are for towers near me?
      Thanks! I'm excited to start talking on this site more 😀
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 

Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

A close look at a Samsung setup

Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

(source: dkyeager)

(source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.

Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ

Close up of standard antenna connectors 

Samsung Cabinets

Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By kckid
      Sprint announced at MWC trade show in Barcelona that 5G will go live with 4 cities starting in May  (Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Kansas City )
      https://phys.org/news/2019-02-sprint-5g-network-chicago-atlanta.html

• By ActionJacksonWX
      Sprint announced the MVNO Google Fi will use its network for 5G in a press release (that is, once there are actually 5G capable phones compatible with Google Fi someday):
      https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-to-provide-5g-wireless-services-for-google-fi.htm

This is the first I've heard about Fi and 5G so far. Google has pretty much kept mum on the topic, so I'm somewhat encouraged.
    • By lilotimz
      Samsung TDD-LTE gear which are being utilized in Clearwire priority sites. .   Clearwire - Samsung TDD-LTE RRH SLS-BD106Q & Antennas           Samsung TD-LTE RRUs mounted behind BRS/EBS Antenna     Sprint 2500-2600 mhz TD-LTE Setup Note the Antennas are much thicker and fatter than the antennas being utilized by Sprint Network Vision.  

Clearwire TD-LTE Base Station / Cabinet
      May be subject to change as TD-LTE sites start being integrated into the Network Vision setups.

Happy Hunting!
        I'll clean the post up this weekend when I have more time.   Courtesy of Sbolen from Missouri market. Samsung TDD RRH SLS-BD104Q1
      Samsung TDD RRH SLS-BD106Q
    • Send me a diagnostic report next time you run into that.. but based on what is on the screen, that looks like a legitimate T-Mobile connection. My Pixel 4 has a hard time letting go of T-Mobile LTE in some strong Sprint areas as well. -Mike
    • As an update to the 5G discussion -- I have received several diagnostic reports from users who noted they were connected to 5G at the time (thanks!), however I have not seen an example where the API is reporting any 5G data. Everything has appeared as regular LTE for now. Please keep sending me reports, I am sure eventually we will have a device that reports it properly! At a minimum it will need to be on Android 10, because the 5G reporting routines did not exist in earlier versions. -Mike
    • No, its because Speedtest has considerably more servers to ping (meaning less hops and closer in proximity) from than any of those other servers you mentioned. Typically, the fastest speed would be considered the most accurate. 
    • So I've noticed that my Speed Test app always seems to show faster speeds than what I'm actually getting. Just now Speed Test showed I was getting 14Mbps down. OpenSignal and Root Metrics were showing 4Mbps and 5Mbps respectively. My Twitter, reddit and Safari apps are running like I'm on a 5Mbps connection. Just this past weekend in Chicago, Speed Test was saying I was getting 5Mbps. OpenSignal and RootMetrics were showing <1Mbps and 1Mbps respectively and my apps were running like they would on a 1Mbps connection. Has anyone else noticed this? I wouldn't be surprised if they were prioritizing speed test connections.  
    • gotcha ok thanks! would at least like to know if the capability is there and that it's possible to enable...