Samsung Galaxy A32 5G thread

PythonFanPA

10 hours ago, Trip said:

What band selector options does it have for NR, if I might ask?  Been considering picking one up and then disabling all future updates on it the way I did with my new S21FE.

- Trip

With the factory unlocked, a lot more bands show:

AT&T MVNOs: n2, n5, n66, n77

T-Mobile MVNO: n2, n5, n25, n41, n71, n77, n78

Verizon MVNO: n2, n5, n66, n78

Note that Verizon currently limits access to n77 and n78 and mmWave depending on MVNO and account type.

Also note that T-Mobile locked just shows n41 and n71.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trip said:

... disabling all future updates on it the way I did with my new S21FE.

- Trip

How?

59 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

How?

Enabled USB Debugging, then with ADB installed on my computer:

adb shell
pm uninstall --user 0 com.wssyncmldm
pm uninstall --user 0 com.sec.android.soagent

I also disabled policy updates in the Security settings and the auto update options in Developer Options.  I no longer even have an option to manually do an update on my phone.

- Trip

• Love 1

47 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

With the factory unlocked, a lot more bands show:

AT&T MVNOs: n2, n5, n66, n77

T-Mobile MVNO: n2, n5, n25, n41, n71, n77, n78

Verizon MVNO: n2, n5, n66, n78

Note that Verizon currently limits access to n77 and n78 and mmWave depending on MVNO and account type.

Also note that T-Mobile locked just shows n41 and n71.

Bleh, what a mess.  I was hoping it was consistent.  Sounds like a bit more trouble than it's worth.

Because Network Signal Guru is unable to do any NR band locking at the moment, I'm looking for alternatives for the future.  I wonder if the MediaTek engineering mode is still available...

- Trip

• 4 weeks later...

New update rolling out for T-Mobile. https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-A326U/TMB/doc.html

This likely wipes out the Samsung Band Selector app, but if phone is only on T-Mobile the dialer code for this likely still works.

Unknown if it fixes NR41 SCP being reported as NR7.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I saw a good deal on a factory unlocked A32 5G on eBay and was able to convince the seller to show me the software info screen--and it was May.  So I jumped on it.

Stuck one of my Tello SIMs in it, and while my Moto One 5G Ace would connect to n71 SA, this phone refuses to do so.  And with only 0 for the TA value, it's less useful for LTE than my older devices. 

Oh, and the *#2263# menu doesn't work properly for NR.  So definitely glad I'm able to disable updates.

- Trip

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Trip said:

Well, I saw a good deal on a factory unlocked A32 5G on eBay and was able to convince the seller to show me the software info screen--and it was May.  So I jumped on it.

Stuck one of my Tello SIMs in it, and while my Moto One 5G Ace would connect to n71 SA, this phone refuses to do so.  And with only 0 for the TA value, it's less useful for LTE than my older devices. 

Oh, and the *#2263# menu doesn't work properly for NR.  So definitely glad I'm able to disable updates.

- Trip

*#2263 menu working at all surprised me given unlocked firmware.  Besides Tello, I also use Boost Mobile on T-Mobile and the Samsung band selection app.  On Tello it would find n71 SA including site details, but not connect.  On Boost using T-Mobile, the behavior is the same. except it only has the n71 band.  In both cases you also get neighbors.

Can connect to n71 SA with T-Mobile locked phone with TNX.  Then put in Tello sim and rebooted, which works with psim but reported not esim on esim phones. Mobile IP address does not work. Outbound calls ring once and die with any sim in Columbus, OH.  Boost Mobile using T-Mobile network is stuck on connecting... like unlocked (can see site info and neighbors).

Could always root it I guess and try NSG which uses modem commands iirc.  A53 5G unlocked  with before June firmware another option.

Are there any devices on which NSG will lock 5G-NR?  Doesn't offer the option on my Moto One 5G Aces or on my (now dead) One Plus N10 5G. 

And I didn't think the Snapdragon Samsungs could be rooted.

- Trip

19 hours ago, Trip said:

Are there any devices on which NSG will lock 5G-NR?  Doesn't offer the option on my Moto One 5G Aces or on my (now dead) One Plus N10 5G. 

- Trip

The one plus used to be good for that, but we're taken over.  Trying to do it with a one plus nord 200 5g. Need to back it up to android 11 first because 12 has so many issues.  Then ask them to give me the key for the bootloader which takes a week. Then root it. Might take me a while but can keep you posted.

Actually think the issue with n71 is a mvno network restriction. Will try to get a real T-Mobile sim and test it (T-Mobile has not seen fit to move my billing off Sprint nor light up fully upgraded tower for 18 months. Grrr.)

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 8:18 PM, Trip said:

- Trip

Ok tested with T-Mobile sim that uses T-Mobile billing (different from TNX) and had no issues connection to SA n71 on A32 5g factory unlocked.

Also tried Tello on unlocked S21 Ultra with SA 71 and had no n71 at all.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

FYI the latest T-Mobile A32 update appears to remove the Samsung band selector app. :(

EDIT: *#2263# menu still works.

Samsung is gradually killing this app across all product lines. Doesn't seem like they are killing *#2263# or *#73#

• 2 months later...

For those using Verizon and/or AT&T networks, the Samsung Band Selector app now says it has a workaround to all it to work (was firmware disabled in June 2022)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is the right place to talk about the A52 5G, but I want to talk about it.  I bought a T-Mobile branded but network unlocked one from eBay, with the intent to use the SamFW FRP tool to unlock all the bands on it, like I had with two Verizon-branded A42 5G phones, and my S21FE.

As it came, the phone only has three NR options in the *#2263# menu, n41-NSA, n71-SA, and n71-NSA.  So not particularly helpful on the NR front.

Well, after several hours of futzing with it, I seem to be unable to get more out of it than that.  By flashing first the firmware from the TMB to XAA variant, and then changing the CSC from TMB to XAA as well, I was able to at least allow the *#73# menu to open.  But upon doing so, the UE Setting and Info menu necessary to enable the missing bands isn't present.  The option that was in its place just says to go to *#2263# when selected.  I tried changing the CSC to VZW in the hopes that it would make it work properly like it did on the A42 5G phones, but no luck.  I seem to be stuck with it as-is.

I imagine that if I let it update all the way up to the most recent update, I'll lose the Samsung Band Selection tool, but gain the ability to lock it through *#2263# or *#73# as T-Mobile has, presumably, enabled n41 SA and n25 SA in a later update.  I'm considering doing that, as I think the trade-off is probably worth it in the long run.  Alternatively, this could just be my n71-locked phone.  I'll have to think on it.

After all the frustration I've had with the Samsung phones I've tried to adapt for band locked logging purposes (my A32 and A42s both had their own problems), I will probably not buy any more Samsung phones for this purpose.  Shortly after I ordered the A52, I saw a post on Reddit from someone who bought a Moto Edge 5G (2022) and rooted it, and it band locks NR with Network Signal Guru and supports all the Dish bands as well as most everything else.  I think that's my future.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'll gladly take them, but I think I'm at the end of the line.

- Trip

Well, chamb e-mailed me to suggest looking for a specific option in the *#2263# menu, and while it didn't work (actually, I didn't understand what he was saying at first), it did give me an idea.  I used *#73#, made my way to the band selection menu, then backed out and got to NAS Configuration, and then backed out again and that landed me on the UE Setting screen, which allowed me to do the steps in the guide.  Bizarre, but I'm glad.

Bad news is that while it allowed me access to add additional bands, it only added them in NSA, not in SA (still only n71-SA is available).  I tried redoing several different steps in the guide to get SA enabled for other bands without success.  I also tried changing the CSC back to XAA and that didn't help either.  Also, it seems that n71 SA only actually works with the TMB CSC set; in XAA, I get a "no connection" instead.  So I've switched it back to TMB.

Next I tried "Method 2" in the guide.  I believe this is what chamb meant for me to do.  This worked!  I now had access to SA for all the NR bands the phone supports.  Unfortunately, actually locking any SA band now results in no service.  I'm still fidgeting with it in the hope that I can figure out what I need to do to make SA work properly.

- Trip

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trip said:

Well, chamb e-mailed me to suggest looking for a specific option in the *#2263# menu, and while it didn't work (actually, I didn't understand what he was saying at first), it did give me an idea.  I used *#73#, made my way to the band selection menu, then backed out and got to NAS Configuration, and then backed out again and that landed me on the UE Setting screen, which allowed me to do the steps in the guide.  Bizarre, but I'm glad.

Bad news is that while it allowed me access to add additional bands, it only added them in NSA, not in SA (still only n71-SA is available).  I tried redoing several different steps in the guide to get SA enabled for other bands without success.  I also tried changing the CSC back to XAA and that didn't help either.  Also, it seems that n71 SA only actually works with the TMB CSC set; in XAA, I get a "no connection" instead.  So I've switched it back to TMB.

Next I tried "Method 2" in the guide.  I believe this is what chamb meant for me to do.  This worked!  I now had access to SA for all the NR bands the phone supports.  Unfortunately, actually locking any SA band now results in no service.  I'm still fidgeting with it in the hope that I can figure out what I need to do to make SA work properly.

- Trip

So the firmware deadline dates are April 1, 2022 or a bit later and then Dec 31, 2022 for the various published Samsung tricks.  Wish Samsung would leave the factory unlocked able to band lock. One Plus is also getting hinky since their purchase by Oppo.  Like Moto. NSG works best with Qualcomm modems iirc

1 hour ago, Trip said:

My A52 is actually sitting on the April 1, 2022 update version and I did a lot of my tinkering on the March version.  So that doesn't really explain the issues.

- Trip

For me the phone is also a big factor. My a32 5gs work perfectly, but extremely difficult/impossible to find more matching requirements. My s21 Ultras work great, but NSA reporting is non existent for unrooted phones (SCP and cellmapper).  The T-Mobile network also wants a phone to be able to do SA CA to let you select a SA band for more than a second. The actual reporting on what bands a phone supports is also absimal, especially when they first come out, which is often when they have the most features we want for our hobby.

I'm wondering if I need to just update the phone to a more modern build.  The NR5G CA option doesn't work ("not supported" it says) but n71 SA does work on it as long as it's set to TMB.  Just not in GCF or XAA.

- Trip