Galaxy s21 leaks and rumors

dkyeager

New update. Says it can not be reversed. Patch level remains the same, Jan 1, which makes me nervous. Want to see that band selector app works first.

Build Number : G998U1UEU5BULH
Android version : S(Android 12)
Release Date : 2022-01-24
Security patch level : 2022-01-01
• Overall stability of your device has been improved.
• The security of your device has been improved.

42 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I only have BULJ on my phone are you unlocked?

Yes, factory unlocked.

Basically forced to do the update within two days.  Samsung band selector app still works on the Verizon network MVNOs. One noticeable change so far: 4G in large letters in top right icon with LTE going down the side.  5G icon looks the same if on the LTE bands that switch over and the site at least has DSS.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/at-ts-latest-5g-network-upgrade-may-only-work-with-2022s-best-phones/

Hopefully the completion will fix this.  I would think it would just fall under n78, which is already present, at least on the factory unlocked.

The new bands in the x65 modem (to be used in the s22) and their frequencies are:

n259 41000
n70 1700
n53 2483

29 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Wasn't expecting this but I'll take it, seems to be really smooth compared to the last update.

yes, this finally feels "smooth" again with scrolling and app openings. Probably just jinxed it by saying it, but hey maybe they're finally making progress?? 

The band selector app still works on the Verizon network after this latest update.

A bunch of high-end Samsung phones just got another year of software upgrades: https://www.androidpolice.com/samsung-leapfrogs-google-by-announcing-4-year-android-os-upgrade-commitment/

21 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Pointless when you upgrade every year.

IF you upgrade every year. Last few years I haven't seen big enough improvements between iterations to feel the need to upgrade every year. Looking at the S22, even the ultra, not seeing enough yet to justify upgrading my S21 Ultra. So the additional software support is welcomed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

IF you upgrade every year. Last few years I haven't seen big enough improvements between iterations to feel the need to upgrade every year. Looking at the S22, even the ultra, not seeing enough yet to justify upgrading my S21 Ultra. So the additional software support is welcomed. 

Even though I'm exploring the option (basically, I was already contemplating balance payoff after we moved and using net proceeds from selling our prior home, which then trade in gets me under half the monthly payments I'm doling out now...less if I went straight Samsung for 36 vs 24 mo plan), I couldn't agree more. 

Even with a totally different model with totally different chipset/hardware...my wife has the A32 5G and in day to day use other than the size differential I can't tell any difference in actual usage/performance really.  Oddly there's one thing I actually even like better about hers; since we both keep our phones in vibrate mode 95% of the time, I much prefer the vibration sound/pattern on her phone than my S21.  The S21 isn't as 'pronounced' we'll say as I'd prefer when vibrating off text messages.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

Even though I'm exploring the option (basically, I was already contemplating balance payoff after we moved and using net proceeds from selling our prior home, which then trade in gets me under half the monthly payments I'm doling out now...less if I went straight Samsung for 36 vs 24 mo plan), I couldn't agree more. 

Even with a totally different model with totally different chipset/hardware...my wife has the A32 5G and in day to day use other than the size differential I can't tell any difference in actual usage/performance really.  Oddly there's one thing I actually even like better about hers; since we both keep our phones in vibrate mode 95% of the time, I much prefer the vibration sound/pattern on her phone than my S21.  The S21 isn't as 'pronounced' we'll say as I'd prefer when vibrating off text messages.

Interesting.  Was using my wife's A32 5G today and thinking the same thing as opposed to my S20 FE 5G. 

Heck, ours even have the same screen size.  Lol.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

21 hours ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

Interesting.  Was using my wife's A32 5G today and thinking the same thing as opposed to my S20 FE 5G. 

Heck, ours even have the same screen size.  Lol.

There is a whole school of thought that getting the 5g budget phones is the way to go. I have one s21 ultra for mmWave and Wi-Fi 6e. Then my new phone herd is all Samsung using the band selector app. I have an unlocked a32 5g and the T-Mobile variant. Not the same max speeds, but will do great for most people.

The press just seems to care about cameras.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New security update on s21 ultra unlocked:https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G998U1/VZW/doc.html

• Like 1

The UI 4.1 update seems to have made the 5G UC indicator for N41 grossly inaccurate.   My Tmo S21 ultra will indicate UC even after a few minutes of idling on B66 LTE only.   Two steps forward and one step backwards.   SMH.