Galaxy s21 leaks and rumors

dkyeager

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/12/08/exclusive-here-are-the-official-galaxy-s21-s21-and-s21-ultra-teasers/

https://tech.hindustantimes.com/mobile/news/samsung-galaxy-s1-appears-on-geekbench-with-8gb-ram-snapdragon-888-71607164583801.html

Last time I bough a Samsung, they tried to kill me with an exploding phone(s).  May finally be ready to go back.  LG seems to be getting forever weaker. X60 modem capabilities with integrated into the processor chip, dramatically improved CA, 5G version of VoLTE, etc.

another exciting aspect is Wi-Fi 6E, which includes the huge 6GHz band.  Wonder if it will also include the just announced expansion of the 5GHz Wi-Fi band (https://wifinowglobal.com/news-and-blog/fcc-adopts-new-5-9-ghz-rules-unlocking-gigabit-wi-fi-in-5-ghz/)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 3:00 PM, BlueAngel said:

I really hope there isn't a curved display on the Ultra, no one wants a curved screen. But if you get the plus you get screwed on specs.

The article says, and shows a curved display on the Ultra.  It's not a deal breaker for me, but I would also like to see a flat screen.  

It sure looks like a a big nothing burger for most, other than the external design stuff.  I'm more interested in the x60 model stuff, since I learned about it a while back.  NR CA, voice over NR, etc. I'm not sure that's enough for me to upgrade from the S20 Ultra, however.  I just don't know that there will be enough NR deployed (in my area) in the next year to make a significant difference over the S20U.

25 minutes ago, jporter12 said:

The article says, and shows a curved display on the Ultra.  It's not a deal breaker for me, but I would also like to see a flat screen.  

It sure looks like a a big nothing burger for most, other than the external design stuff.  I'm more interested in the x60 model stuff, since I learned about it a while back.  NR CA, voice over NR, etc. I'm not sure that's enough for me to upgrade from the S20 Ultra, however.  I just don't know that there will be enough NR deployed (in my area) in the next year to make a significant difference over the S20U.

They seem to just be taking away features like the sd card slot and stuff, no value coming from my S20 Ultra.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 12:24 PM, BlueAngel said:

They seem to just be taking away features like the sd card slot and stuff, no value coming from my S20 Ultra.

I was excited until I heard about the missing SD card.  I don't like sharing my photos with Silicon Valley and others.

• Like 1

I might upgrade my wife's S9+ to an S21+ 256GB.  She may not want it since it doesn't have a MicroSD Slot or a 3.5mm Audio Jack.  She teaches Elementary School Music Full Time and often needs to connect her phone to the speakers in her classroom or on the mobile cart I built her just for teaching during COVID.  Sure, she could own multiple USB-C to 3.5mm adapters, but that should not be necessary on a $800+ "Smartphone."

All this stripping away of features is ridiculous and makes me glad I spent $179 for my Moto G Stylus (2020).  I placed that on a Kickstart v1 line and it works great!  It does everything I need and has MicroSD and 3.5mm audio.  Plus, it support AptX HD for much better Bluetooth Audio.  Samsung refuses to give us this basic feature that improves audio considerably with compatible devices.

If Moto would commit to a guaranteed minimum of 2 or 3 timely OS Version updates and 3 Years of security updates, It would be hard to not recommend Motorola phones once again.  They just need to add Wireless Charging and it would be a slam-dunk.

• Like 1

Upgrading from my S10.  No way I would have done it if Samsung wasn't offering $550 credit trade in (I know the Sprint offer is even better but have to commit to 2 years.  I'm sure I'll still be with them but who knows).  Just going with plain S21.

The $700 credit for the S20 means I'm now in line for a 256GB S21. A bit annoyed about the various downgrades, but I didn't use the microSD card slot or higher resolution screen, hopefully won't notice the RAM drop, and don't care about having a glass-backed phone. A better fingerprint reader and the extra network features from the new modem are sufficient for an upgrade, and renewing the device after several months for about what the deductible would be on an insured phone is pretty nice.

Figure I'll use the phone for awhile, then pass it on to a family member when the next hotness comes out, as I doubt Samsung will run a deal quite this good again.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 4:26 PM, clbowens said:

In my order, it also says something about "TNXSETUPZZZ-TNX Collateral".

Anybody know what that is?

Also, 128GB S21 here.

its the tnx tmobile sim card.

itll let you use tmobile as primary network.

you will be able to use tmobiles sa 5g.

16 hours ago, sunmybun said:

its the tnx tmobile sim card.

itll let you use tmobile as primary network.

you will be able to use tmobiles sa 5g.

For those who currently have a 4G phone looking to buy an unlocked S21 directly from Samsung, if you order a sim card from Sprint via chat, will they send a TNX sim card by default?  Or is there a non-TNX sim card available that would use Sprint as the primary network in non-5G areas where it would use Sprint 4G instead of T-Mobile 4G?  

2 hours ago, Member21 said:

For those who currently have a 4G phone looking to buy an unlocked S21 directly from Samsung, if you order a sim card from Sprint via chat, will they send a TNX sim card by default?  Or is there a non-TNX sim card available that would use Sprint as the primary network in non-5G areas where it would use Sprint 4G instead of T-Mobile 4G?  

i do not know about ordering from samsung directly or through sprint via chat...sorry

I got my TNX card for my s20 ultra at a tmobile store. its free.

whichever sim you use, thats the primary network you would be using for 2g3g4g5g etc lol

you just use the sprint sim to use sprint as primary but 5g will be only NSA. also you wont be able to take advantage of the new Qualcomm X60 modem. you could do ca with 5g SA in tmobiles network.

On 1/16/2021 at 10:54 AM, sunmybun said:

just use the sprint sim to use sprint as primary but 5g will be only NSA. also you wont be able to take advantage of the new Qualcomm X60 modem. you could do ca with 5g SA in tmobiles network.

Do you have official confirmation that NR CA won't work on Sprint? I was on a call yesterday where I asked this question and was given the opposite answer, though I'm not certain the rep knew what He was talking about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iansltx said:

Do you have official confirmation that NR CA won't work on Sprint? I was on a call yesterday where I asked this question and was given the opposite answer, though I'm not certain the rep knew what He was talking about.

i dont know about nr ca entirely.

but from what i can tell when using my s20 ultra with sprint sim, i was never able to connect to a standalone 5g.

1 hour ago, sunmybun said:

i dont know about nr ca entirely.

but from what i can tell when using my s20 ultra with sprint sim, i was never able to connect to a standalone 5g.

Right, it's widely known that SA doesn't work unless you have TNX. But you seemed to indicate that you had information on NR CA capabilities on TNA. We don't know whether the two are related; I don't think there's anything stopping T_Mobile from running B66+n71+n41 or B2+n71+n41 with 2 or 66 as the PCC (so, NSA).

11 minutes ago, iansltx said:

Right, it's widely known that SA doesn't work unless you have TNX. But you seemed to indicate that you had information on NR CA capabilities on TNA. We don't know whether the two are related; I don't think there's anything stopping T_Mobile from running B66+n71+n41 or B2+n71+n41 with 2 or 66 as the PCC (so, NSA).

i dont have any official confirmation or any sources about it. but on the tmobile site, it says that sprint users cannot access SA 5G

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/latest-sim-for-great-network-experience

like you said, tmobile mayy do nsa ca but i doubt tmobile will want sprint users or roamers using their 5g with nr ca.

i will def check it out when i get my s21 ultra. ill check with both sprint and tmobile sims.

my posts are based on my anecdotal experiences. didnt mean to have you think i have straight facts.

but someone i know has the lg velvet 5g. he can do nr ca only with tmobile sim. (tmo version with dimensity 1000c). he only could get 5g nsa with the sprint sim and no nr ca but lte ca with nsa.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:14 PM, sunmybun said:

but someone i know has the lg velvet 5g. he can do nr ca only with tmobile sim. (tmo version with dimensity 1000c). he only could get 5g nsa with the sprint sim and no nr ca but lte ca with nsa.

That's actually important information. If the Velvet can't get NR CA with a Sprint SIM, but can with a TMo one, that does indicate that the S21 may have something similar going on. At which point I don't think it's a matter of TMo wanting one way or the other. Rather, Sprint's core can't do NR CA because n41 was going to be the only band.