Verizon 5G Coverage

red_dog007

n77 up to 100MHz in Louisville now. Speeds haven't been great compared to what it is capable of, mostly around 400-450 down. Didn't see much difference when it widened from 60 to 100MHz. Assuming backhaul needs to catch up. Verizon has a ton a c band gear already installed here.

oivBirk.jpg 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Still no Verizon 5G SA in my area yet. Have seen it is starting to pop-up in other places. 3g still alive, so not a fully automated process. Many Toyota owners and others will be surprised when their navigation dies.

Edited by dkyeager
verizon 3g now dead in Columbus, OH.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So it turns out the standoff between the FAA and FCC over C band was totally unnecessary.  Could have been solved with $26M that could have easily come from the proceeds of the auction.  https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/faa-says-26m-will-cover-costs-prevent-5g-interference

• Sad 3

• 3 months later...

Verizon ‘not just chasing POPs’ in 5G mid-band race 

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/verizon-not-just-chasing-pops-5g-mid-band-race

Verizon isn’t talking about when it will launch Voice over New Radio (VoNR) or network slicing, both of which rely on a 5G core. It’s also not saying when the 5G core will be fully deployed. Verizon started moving customer traffic onto its new 5G core last year.

And don’t even think about asking when Verizon will match T-Mobile when it comes to mid-band 5G coverage.

— — — — —

“We know exactly where we’re deploying, why we’re deploying,” she said, and they’re not getting into a game of saying when it will match anyone else’s mid-band 5G coverage. 

Sounds to me like Verizon is trying its best to ignore its competitors' biggest advantage over itself. Ignoring their competition is exactly what got them into this position. They coasted on their reputation for so long that they never thought they'd see the day where AT&T has a larger and faster LTE network than them and T-Mobile would have a larger and faster 5G network than them. They've got to be feeling the pressure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Verizon is doing another round of Marco expansions around Louisville. Found another new site this morning which makes 5 new sites in the past few months. The one I found this morning is badly needed in that area for coverage, I usually can only get b13 in that area currently. They must really be feeling the pressure from T-Mobile around here.  

4 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Looks like Verizon is doing another round of Marco expansions around Louisville. Found another new site this morning which makes 5 new sites in the past few months. The one I found this morning is badly needed in that area for coverage, I usually can only get b13 in that area currently. They must really be feeling the pressure from T-Mobile around here.  

Their plan is to go back through and do the suburban / fringe areas with n77. Especially once more of their n77 licences open up later in the year iirc.

Reporting in from Albuquerque, a lot of the city now has n77 at 100 MHz (though I've seen 60 in some places), and there's a fair amount of CBRS live. On top of that, I got mmW downtown, with 3.4+ Gbps down and around 450 Mbps up. There's still some inconsistency, where things will drop all the way down to LTE, as n77 isn't exactly the most robust band (T-Mobile rarely drops to LTE), but enough traffic is on 5G now that the areas with LTE are fine connectivity-wise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

No 850MHz 5G? Figured a 5G connection would be pretty robust with that.

n5 is definitely present in my area since I have mapped a bunch of N5-SA for Verizon. 

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found mmW at the Austin airport at Gate 15. It's a bit shaky, as mmW is wont to be, but I can live with 700+ Mbps speeds while tethered. Sure beats the heck out of the free airport WiFi at this point.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Albuquerque C-Band has been bumped to 100+60 MHz, making VZW the fastest carrier here in a number of places. They're also now running n5 at 15x15. T-Mobile still has more FD NR deployed, but VZW has more overall.

Also saw 100 MHz n77 in Austin but haven't seen and n77 SCC yet.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 6 months later...

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/verizon-network-slicing-operational-trials

Smart political move bt Verizon. The FCC can't complain about network slicing used to support first responders.