Verizon 5G Coverage

Found some more CBRS yesterday afternoon, including 4CA (plus B13 and maybe 2/66)? My my estimation, I was 0.8 mi from the macro broadcasting, with signal in the mid -120s, but ~10 SNR. I don't think B48 contributed much to speeds, but the fact that the noise floor was so low meant that the connection still happened.

So VZW is definitely using GAA here, as they should. Just checked CA combos on my phone and it looks like they could aggregate n77 with a single B48 carrier, plus 2+13, so at the end of this year they could wind up with 25x25 FD + 80 MHz TD on X60-based devices, not far behind T-Mobile's 30x30 (2+66) FD + 80 MHz TD (n41) that they can run now.

• Like 1

One thought I had here is that VZW may lean on CBRS as additional capacity for their home broadband, aggregated with C-Band, particularly in 2022-2023 when they only have 60 MHz of n77 available. Unfortunately, current modems can only aggregate one B48 carrier with n77, but in urban areas VZW has at least 20 MHz of PALs so that kinda works out. If they can get someone to make CPE that aggregates multiple B48 carriers, they'll be even more competitive.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, iansltx said:

One thought I had here is that VZW may lean on CBRS as additional capacity for their home broadband, aggregated with C-Band, particularly in 2022-2023 when they only have 60 MHz of n77 available. Unfortunately, current modems can only aggregate one B48 carrier with n77, but in urban areas VZW has at least 20 MHz of PALs so that kinda works out. If they can get someone to make CPE that aggregates multiple B48 carriers, they'll be even more competitive.

Seems like CBRS will be to Verizon what LAA is for T-Mobile in some areas. The difference is that LAA range is abysmal. It's usually worse than mmWave. However, thanks to there already being a mature ecosystem of n41 and LAA capable devices, T-Mobile is able to take advantage of all of the spectrum they have deployed here. In NYC we have seen T-Mobile aggregate 60MHz n41 + 20MHz Band 66 + 20MHz Band 2 + (20MHz x 3) Band 46.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Tutela released a new report analyzing Verizon's 5G network: https://www.tutela.com/blog/impact-analysis-user-experience-improvements-from-verizons-5g-rollout

• Mobile experience for 5G capable users is virtually indistinguishable from non-5G capable users using modern handsets, on Verizon's network, in 5G-enabled areas.

• Verizon's implementation of Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS) quickly delivered 5G coverage but does not deliver material mobile experience improvements versus 4G. This is somewhat unsurprising considering the high quality of Verizon's existing 4G network.

• The biggest difference to performance is noticeable during peak hours, where Verizon's 5G network is barely impacted by the increase in traffic but where 4G performance dips as the network is loaded. This means that 5G users are advantaged during these busy, congested periods.