Whoa, Verizon to acquire Tracfone

Tracfone has 13 Million of their 21M customers on the Verizon network, which leaves 8M on other networks. I am thinking that the regulators should make Verizon spin those customers off.

Considering Dish's recent purchase of Ting after picking up Boost from T-Mobile I wouldn't be surprised if Dish threw their hat in the ring to buy Tracfone, knowing they can't outbid Verizon but sill doing it in case Verizon needs to make concessions to get approval. Dish could easily scoop up a couple million customers and possibly a favorable MVNO agreement or roaming deal with Verizon.

13 hours ago, hescominsoon said:

since so many of tracfone are already verizon i do not see a reason for divestures.

So what happens to the tracfone subs that are on other networks? There is an inherent conflict of interest.

5 hours ago, hescominsoon said:

since so many of tracfone are already verizon i do not see a reason for divestures.

Only about 12 Million of Tracfone's customers are on Verizon. That's just over half of them. If they were allowed to keep that 12 Million and forced to sell the rest, they'd have roughly the same amount of prepaid subscribers as T-Mobile and AT&T.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• So if anyone is wondering about the TMO and Shentel Deal. I got some what of an update today. Had an interesting day today not long before I went into work and when I was working. Saw a Technician out for Shentel using a Sprint truck looking at a a telephone line. I’m assuming they may be looking at putting up on the pole at some point. But stopped and talked a few minutes and asked what’s going on with the TMO and Shentel negations and alls he knew is that they didn’t take TMO up on the first offer they did for Shentel. And at work one of the Sprint Store workers came in and since the ones here work for Shentel I asked the same question. He said that Shentel had declined the first offer and that they are trying to negotiate a deal. He seemed like they will come to a good deal soon he hopes. 
    • Had an interesting day today not long before I went into work and when I was working. Saw a Technician out for Shentel using a Sprint truck looking at a a telephone line. I’m assuming they may be looking at putting up on the pole at some point. But stopped and talked a few minutes and asked what’s going on with the TMO and Shentel negations and alls he knew is that they didn’t take TMO up on the first offer they did for Shentel. And at work one of the Sprint Store workers came in and since the ones here work for Shentel I asked the same question. He said that Shentel had declined the first offer and that they are trying to negotiate a deal. He seemed like they will come to a good deal soon he hopes. 
    • Yup, in western PA and northeast Ohio, Sprint coverage blows away T-Mobile's. T-mobile seems to have built a barebones network just to claim coverage. In the Youngstown area I'd estimate that Sprint has 2x as many towers as T-mobile. Pittsburgh also has better site density and site placement. The only places I know where T-mobile has better coverage are along 376 between the 76-376 interchange near Beaver Falls and 224, and on the route northeast of Pittsburgh going up to I-80, where there is a 20 minute stretch of no Sprint service but T-mobile does. T-mobile built their network in this area to cover highways and major roads, but once you get off those, Sprint wins. Hopefully they keep most of the sites. Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    • Another one: https://www.fiercewireless.com/financial/softbank-to-sell-majority-stake-brightstar  
    • Hmm, I'm betting this is why I keep getting a "ROAMING NOT ALLOWED" in the service menu when I try to force SA N71. I had an issue trying to activate both my S20+ and Tab S6 when I switched to T-Mobile in April. Long story short they fixed the issue by giving me new SIM cards for both at a local store. My current SIM does not say R15 on it, it just says TM9263.