PythonFanPA

Dish Network/Boost Mobile cell/5G buildout thread

Hot take for y'all: if DIsh doesn't come to an agreement to buy Boost, they should be forced to lease their spectrum to whoever does, indefinitely. Because we all know that, given the option, Dish will sit on their spectrum and do precisely nothing useful with it for years. Right up until they're forced to loan it to someone who actually has a network.

Hot take for y'all: if DIsh doesn't come to an agreement to buy Boost, they should be forced to lease their spectrum to whoever does, indefinitely. Because we all know that, given the option, Dish will sit on their spectrum and do precisely nothing useful with it for years. Right up until they're forced to loan it to someone who actually has a network.
Could be but that's also a pretty big fine to pay.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Tengen31 said:

Could be but that's also a pretty big fine to pay.

Oh, it's definitely a huge fine to pay. The intention is getting a 4th mobile carrier out of this, and I'd personally rather it be dish if they get their darned network deployed.

They actually have plenty of spectrum of their own, and have it spec'd for largely unpaired use on the AWS side, so with NR-SA they could have some pretty phenomenal speeds. If they ever. Freaking. Deploy. Their. Network.

Oh, it's definitely a huge fine to pay. The intention is getting a 4th mobile carrier out of this, and I'd personally rather it be dish if they get their darned network deployed.
They actually have plenty of spectrum of their own, and have it spec'd for largely unpaired use on the AWS side, so with NR-SA they could have some pretty phenomenal speeds. If they ever. Freaking. Deploy. Their. Network.
Yeah have your see what the future holds. If they build out network but do it without buying boost that is a big mistake. They need to have a standout prepaid carrier. TMobile has metro, att cricket and vzw visible. Dish can change the Boost name if they see fit. Yes boost has lost customers, but that is likely do to running off sprint and not having access to tmo where sprint doesn't have coverage and lack of VOLTE. Running off TMO network for the first 7 years and if dish can have more coverage by that time when sprint did that will help also.

It seems that Dish will close the Boost transaction on July 1st:

The company did not officially close the purchase, nor did it provide any of the parameters of the pending deal, including how many customers might be involved or the final price.

But the company's announcement – made via an SEC filing – represents Dish's intention to enter the wireless industry, first as an MVNO of T-Mobile and, potentially, as a nationwide 5G network operator.

It appears that the Department of Justice had to step in during the negotiations between T-Mobile and Dish to push the transaction forward. "On June 17, 2020, the Department of Justice (the 'DOJ') determined that T-Mobile has complied with the requirement in the final judgment entered by a federal district court in Washington, D.C. on April 1, 2020 (the 'Final Judgment') to provide Dish the ability to cross-provision any new or existing customer of the prepaid business with a compatible handset onto the T-Mobile network," T-Mobile wrote in its own SEC filing on the matter. "As a result, we believe all conditions to closing under the Asset Purchase Agreement (other than those conditions that can only be satisfied at closing) have been satisfied and, subject to the satisfaction of the conditions that must be satisfied at closing, the closing of the Prepaid Business Sale will occur on July 1, 2020."

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/dish-said-it-will-buy-t-mobiles-boost-on-july-1/d/d-id/761784?

All of you can breathe now 😅!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

The company did not officially close the purchase, nor did it provide any of the parameters of the pending deal, including how many customers might be involved or the final price.

But the company's announcement – made via an SEC filing – represents Dish's intention to enter the wireless industry, first as an MVNO of T-Mobile and, potentially, as a nationwide 5G network operator.

It appears that the Department of Justice had to step in during the negotiations between T-Mobile and Dish to push the transaction forward. "On June 17, 2020, the Department of Justice (the 'DOJ') determined that T-Mobile has complied with the requirement in the final judgment entered by a federal district court in Washington, D.C. on April 1, 2020 (the 'Final Judgment') to provide Dish the ability to cross-provision any new or existing customer of the prepaid business with a compatible handset onto the T-Mobile network," T-Mobile wrote in its own SEC filing on the matter. "As a result, we believe all conditions to closing under the Asset Purchase Agreement (other than those conditions that can only be satisfied at closing) have been satisfied and, subject to the satisfaction of the conditions that must be satisfied at closing, the closing of the Prepaid Business Sale will occur on July 1, 2020."

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/dish-said-it-will-buy-t-mobiles-boost-on-july-1/d/d-id/761784?

Excellent.  Price of DISH stock now significantly up: https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/DISH

14 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I knew that DISH would not walk away.  It was a bluff.  They pretty much were committed.  But Charlie couldn't pass up an opportunity to turn the screws and try to renegotiate a better deal thinking he may have an upper hand.  I don't believe the Feds would have ever reversed the Sprint/Tmo transaction.  Too far gone.  And Tmo did all the right things in good faith.  It just could have left DISH in the cold.  And that's what I meant by 'blow up in their faces" for the member who asked the question up the thread.

Robert

• Like 4

I don't even think this was a big deal.  There was no required purchase needed until July 1st.  Analysts "predicted" it would be earlier, they were wrong so "OMG. DISH IS DOING WHAT DISH DOES".  If the prediction was closing on July 1st, like the agreement states, we'd have less click bate. 

For Dish, I think they have valid concerns with a Boost handoff.  Wasn't until mid June that DOJ confirmed TMobile was compliant. If I was Dish, I wouldn't hold TMobile at their own word that they were complaint so the DOJ stepping in a good thing. Plus in the mean time Dish could argue the value of the Boost business has decreased but I wouldn't expect much room there for them to haggle that. 

If I knew Dish was rapidly building out their network I'd put on a line on them just out of curiosity. 

Cash flow wise Dish may have gotten Boost for nothing.  https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/dish-to-raise-1b-for-general-corporate-purposes  Boost was the most profitable part of Sprint according to the anti-trust judge.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:09 PM, dkyeager said:

Cash flow wise Dish may have gotten Boost for nothing.  https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/dish-to-raise-1b-for-general-corporate-purposes  Boost was the most profitable part of Sprint according to the anti-trust judge.

Dish might have to settle for lower income from their leases since T-Mobile just signed leases with two other companies:

T-Mobile has applied for instant spectrum leases with Channel 51 License Company and LB License Co. to lease 600 MHz spectrum in a number of major markets, including Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, New Orleans, St. Louis, San Francisco, Dallas, Atlanta and Seattle, among others.

Currently, these companies are lending 600 MHz spectrum to T-Mobile to help the carrier boost its network during the Covid-19 pandemic.

The parties have filed their application with the FCC, and if granted, the leases would exist until February 28, 2023.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/t-mobile-strikes-600-mhz-spectrum-leases-8-out-10-top-markets

8 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

Yeah it looks like they might be getting serious about deploying their network. A little more detail courtesy of Light Reading:

Importantly, Fujitsu will supply the physical radio hardware that will broadcast 5G signals from atop Dish's cell towers around the US. Dish said in a release that it will use Fujitsu's lowband Tri-Band radio unit (supporting spectrum bands n71, n26 and n29) and midband Dual-Band radio unit (supporting spectrum bands n70 and n66), both of which adhere to open RAN design principles. Dish added that the radios would support passive MIMO. 

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/dishs-5g-radios-to-come-from-japans-fujitsu/d/d-id/762069?

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

DISH enters retail wireless market with close of Boost Mobile, advances build of the nation's first standalone 5G network:

https://ir.dish.com/news-releases/news-release-details/dish-enters-retail-wireless-market-close-boost-mobile-advances

• Like 2

Well, there goes nothing 😂.

All jokes aside, I am very happy that they took the first step towards becoming the fourth carrier.

• Like 2