Galaxy S20 Series Discussion

mdob07

52 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

S20 Ultra. 

I have a iPhone 12 Pro Max. I tested this phone against a unlocked s21 ultra and the iPhone held signal while the Samsung didn’t. Only device that’s better that I’ve tested reception wise is my trusty old s6 active from att. That phone gets signal in places that the coverage map claims no service. The iPhone 12 Pro Max is about 3-5 dbm worse then the s6 active. That device is also rubber and plastic, no glass. Also 2x2 antennas vs iPhone at 4x4. 

1 hour ago, stealth said:

I have a iPhone 12 Pro Max. I tested this phone against a unlocked s21 ultra and the iPhone held signal while the Samsung didn’t. Only device that’s better that I’ve tested reception wise is my trusty old s6 active from att. That phone gets signal in places that the coverage map claims no service. The iPhone 12 Pro Max is about 3-5 dbm worse then the s6 active. That device is also rubber and plastic, no glass. Also 2x2 antennas vs iPhone at 4x4. 

Well that is good to know, my S20 Ultra has been phenomenal signal wise. 

16 minutes ago, stealth said:

Let me know how reception compares to your s20 

As of now it’s pretty much the same, I rarely encounter a situation where I never have service. I usually have 1-3 bars of n71 on my S20 in my house, sitting on 1-2 on the iPhone but obviously the signal bars aren’t quite representing the same. But I remain on 5G 99% of the time like I did on my S20. 

Edited by BlueAngel

I couldn't stay away for long, gonna return the iPhone I told myself I wouldn't do this but iPhone just doesn't work for me, tried giving it a weekend but being back on my Ultra feels natural iPhone is slow and laggy lol oh well. 

On 5/1/2020 at 2:01 AM, mmark27 said:

I'm not sure I follow the toggling roaming situation?? None of my roaming has changed and nothing needed to be toggled? 

Also, you said "enabled CA profiles" as in just checked them all??

BUT I went back to the Band Selection App and set the priorities back for B41, B25, B26, rebooted, RCS seems to be working now thankfully. The Roaming status is still "not roaming" in SIM card status in settings. I did go into the ##3282# secret menu and enabled the LTE Roaming, which was the only thing that was "off". Band selection seems to stick fine after reboots, so I'll keep with this for a while and see what's up. Then I'll have to do all this on my wife's phone....yikes. But she'll be pissed if she tries to use her phone outside home, fortunately that hasn't been the case for her. Friggin' nightmare at a time when I (and probably many of us) don't particularly need something else like this to have to deal with. 

*#0011# - This code shows the status information of your GSM network such as registration status, GSM band, etc.;

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

That's messed up, I have the May 1st update on my S20 Ultra and no esim.

It looks like the T-Mobile Galaxy S20 doesn't have eSim either. This update just brought the Sprint N2U in-line with the T-Mobile N2U which was one of the first TMO Android devices to get eSim.

5 minutes ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

It looks like the T-Mobile Galaxy S20 doesn't have eSim either. This update just brought the Sprint N2U in-line with the T-Mobile N2U which was one of the first TMO Android devices to get eSim.

Supposedly the next update will enable esim but it's a wait and see I guess.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, long time no see...

So I just ordered an S20 FE to replace my LG V30+, which is being phased out. Should have it by the end of the week.

My question is: Assuming I have a choice, what are the pros and cons of using my existing Sprint SIM versus changing over to a T-Mobile Sim. I know I'll have to make the switch some time, but hopefully I will still have options for the next six months or so.

Thanks

Jim

2 hours ago, jlbattagli said:

So I just ordered an S20 FE to replace my LG V30+, which is being phased out. Should have it by the end of the week.

My question is: Assuming I have a choice, what are the pros and cons of using my existing Sprint SIM versus changing over to a T-Mobile Sim. I know I'll have to make the switch some time, but hopefully I will still have options for the next six months or so.

Thanks

Jim

Pros: Roaming agreements and international roaming without issue.

Cons: No standalone 5G. I can't remember if your phone can aggregate 5G carriers but if not, then SA-5G isn't helpful unless you are in a very rural. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jlbattagli said:

Thanks

Jim

I personally would use the Sprint SIM as long as you can. I tried switching over to the T-Mobile one. And I have issues with connecting to  band 41 on my s20 ultra. That's simply could be personal to me but I would rather you not have the issue

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jlbattagli said:

Thanks

Jim

T-Mobile is now rapidly shutting down the Sprint network as the first December 31, 2021 deadline approaches.

Time to make the switch.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JimBob said:

T-Mobile is now rapidly shutting down the Sprint network as the first December 31, 2021 deadline approaches.

Time to make the switch.

Depends on where you are. Sprint still has the larger network in Omaha/Nebraska. T-Mobile works fine, but having easier access to Sprint sites is still valuable here, and the Sprint SIM helps a little with that even though it is technically using T-Mobile first (TNA).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies.

I live and mostly work in the West Michigan market. Home is just about exactly between two towers - I connect to different towers depending on if I'm in the front or back of my house. 🙃  Needless to say, signal isn't the greatest, but usually good enough for what I do. For some weeks now I've been connecting to Tmo, usually B12 or occasionally B4, and throughput actually seems higher than the Sprint B25 I used to get. The place where I do the bulk of my work these days used to have Sprint B41, but a few months ago they shut that off and B25 was the best I could do there (Still pretty good - strong signal). Then I started connecting to Tmo B4, and that has been tremendous!

I guess I'll find out about 5G (stand-alone or otherwise) once the new phone shows up. At this point, I'm just hoping it pulls in signal as well as my V30; if it does, the 4G will suit me fine most of the time. I think I'll likely stay on the Sprint SIM as long as it works well - I've seen some reports that it is very hard to go back to Sprint once the Tmo SIM is used.

Again, thanks for your input.

20 minutes ago, jlbattagli said:

I guess I'll find out about 5G (stand-alone or otherwise) once the new phone shows up. At this point, I'm just hoping it pulls in signal as well as my V30; if it does, the 4G will suit me fine most of the time. I think I'll likely stay on the Sprint SIM as long as it works well - I've seen some reports that it is very hard to go back to Sprint once the Tmo SIM is used.

The fact that you were already connecting to T-Mobile signals on your V30 is a good sign! The FE will likely come with a Sprint SIM in it, so just activate it as you would have activated any device previously and see how your performance is. Currently, there isn't a huge benefit to SA 5G unless you live on a fringe signal area and would benefit from the larger n71 carrier VS the narrow B71 carrier. It sounds like that isn't the case, so NSA 5G will work well for you and provide greater throughput than SA 5G. 

SA 5G will only become the better option (aside from the exception noted above) once n66 is more widespread and we start to see carrier aggregation between n71, n66 and n41. 

• Thanks 1