Jump to content

Galaxy S20 Series Discussion


Recommended Posts

Just now, Terrell352 said:

I tried it. I didn't get standalone. Use Samsung band selection app and turn on N71 only. That will tell it

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
 

Tried that. Phone still picked up B2 as an anchor. I'm convinced that SBS can't actually control NR band selection at this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The phone comes with a screen protector pre-installed. It's not tempered glass but it's pretty good and I'd honestly refrain from removing it/switching it out unless it gets scratched up quite a bit.

Android 11 + One UI 3.0 beta is out: https://www.xda-developers.com/one-ui-3-0-beta-galaxy-s20-samsung-android-11-update/ Installed it earlier today. My phone actually went through two OTA cycles

Samsung logo on power-off. Phone model info, then Samsung logo along for boot. My guess is that both animations are now identical to the unlocked version, and I'll be able to confirm this on Thursday.

Posted Images

Tried that. Phone still picked up B2 as an anchor. I'm convinced that SBS can't actually control NR band selection at this point.
If you had a T-Mobile SIM you could get into the service menu and force SA. The Sprint SIM locks out the dialer code.

It appears that the S20 actually has some support for VoNR when locked to SA on T-Mobile. The signaling (captured via Airscreen, which is basically the PC version of NSG) seems to show everything as NR without LTE fallback, since the phone advertises to the network that it doesn't support LTE when locked. And this seems to only work on the S20, not other SA capable 5G phones. But there's still a little uncertainty with it. Either way, T-mobile is making progress with it and appears to be ahead of a lot of providers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ingenium said:

If you had a T-Mobile SIM you could get into the service menu and force SA. The Sprint SIM locks out the dialer code.

It appears that the S20 actually has some support for VoNR when locked to SA on T-Mobile. The signaling (captured via Airscreen, which is basically the PC version of NSG) seems to show everything as NR without LTE fallback, since the phone advertises to the network that it doesn't support LTE when locked. And this seems to only work on the S20, not other SA capable 5G phones. But there's still a little uncertainty with it. Either way, T-mobile is making progress with it and appears to be ahead of a lot of providers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
 

Question is whether SA would stick after a SIM swap back to Sprint. I have a Straight Talk data-only SIM that I could reactivate that sits on TMo, so I could test this.

As for VoNR support, betting that it isn't actual VoNR, but basically the NR equivalent of CallingPlus/WiFi calling, where calls run over IP without QoS. Same idea as VoIMS on the iPhone when you don't have service from one of the SIMs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

 

 

 

Question is whether SA would stick after a SIM swap back to Sprint. I have a Straight Talk data-only SIM that I could reactivate that sits on TMo, so I could test this. As for VoNR support, betting that it isn't actual VoNR, but basically the NR equivalent of CallingPlus/WiFi calling, where calls run over IP without QoS. Same idea as VoIMS on the iPhone when you don't have service from one of the SIMs.  

 

 No it's real VoNR. It sets up the equivalent of a dedicated EUTRA session (I forget what it's called in NR) for it with the proper bearer. NSG isn't really able to decode a lot of the VoNR signaling to get codec details and such yet.  

IMG_20200808_151451_381.thumb.jpg.55b5fbdcc3b2e474b0e00530ac677c0f.jpg1cd1459010a879d6e8196da12def4025.jpg

 

There are likely a lot of issues with it still. It's probably not supposed to be public yet, and it's a fluke that you can access it by forcing SA. It probably won't launch more widely until the x60 comes out, which is the first modem that's supposed to support it.

 

Regarding the SIM swap, I doubt it. In my experience, changing the SIM resets all locking back to none/default. But you can certainly try.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

OneUI 2.5 update is out for unlocked and T-Mobile S20's. Still no standalone 5G on the unlocked version.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

OneUI 2.5 update is out for unlocked and T-Mobile S20's. Still no standalone 5G on the unlocked version.

Well if it'll work Iike on my T-Mobile phone the unlocked version isn't missing much. For me SA will work for a minute then go back to saying "Roaming Not Allowed". Worked for about 20 minutes earlier now its back to that again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love how Sprint phones are now forgotten, Verizon was the first with the new update, followed by T-Mobile and AT&T. Yet Sprint is left alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2020 at 12:30 AM, BlueAngel said:

One UI 2.5 is finally out.

Battery life has been horrid. I've cleared caches and eeeraythang. Terrible update for battery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

Battery life has been horrid. I've cleared caches and eeeraythang. Terrible update for battery. 

Been solid here, luck of the draw I guess. Factory reset?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2020 at 6:51 AM, BlueAngel said:

Been solid here, luck of the draw I guess. Factory reset?

Having issues with GPS on my runs now, it'll track me for a bit, then lose me, pick me up, lose me, etc. Tested with GPS Test and Fix, found out I'm not really getting a solid GPS lock. Finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset and still can't get a solid lock. What do you get when you run GPS Test and Fix? I know geographically we're all in different areas seeing different satellites. I feel like I'm using the Galaxy S2 all over again. 

http://imgur.com/a/REAJVG1

I've used this phone for runs all summer long, nearly every day, and never had an issue until the August 29th update. Now it's like clockwork, lost GPS signal. 

 

Edit: seems like this is an issue everyone is having after the update checking Samsung Members and Reddit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mmark27 said:

Having issues with GPS on my runs now, it'll track me for a bit, then lose me, pick me up, lose me, etc. Tested with GPS Test and Fix, found out I'm not really getting a solid GPS lock. Finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset and still can't get a solid lock. What do you get when you run GPS Test and Fix? I know geographically we're all in different areas seeing different satellites. I feel like I'm using the Galaxy S2 all over again. 

http://imgur.com/a/REAJVG1

I've used this phone for runs all summer long, nearly every day, and never had an issue until the August 29th update. Now it's like clockwork, lost GPS signal. 

 

Edit: seems like this is an issue everyone is having after the update checking Samsung Members and Reddit. 

My GPS is fine, haven't had any issues.

 

https://postimg.cc/hhwyb4Q5

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

Stupid phone. I factory reset again and then again, and now I get a 3Deez nuts GPS fix. 

Really strange.

Link to post
Share on other sites

yea, mine hasnt had gps or battery issue..

Only gps is with permissions on a golfing app i use.. I have it set for only when in use.. and the app give me grief everytime, that it might not work right (it does)  but other than that, zero issues

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something still isn't great with my GPS. It's locking most of the time, but often if I access Maps directions by just using the Assistant like "hey google navigate home" it'll lose signal lock and freeze up. Most other times, it's completely fine. It's very strange. I haven't tried it running this week because it's too dark in the AM and it's been raining, so I've been relegated to the treadmill and my stories. The Boys season 2 is quite good and darker than the first. 

A very nice thing that I can report is that The New T-Mobile has flip flopped on the LTE and "5G" speeds around me. Before the "5G" (automatic setting in Connections) was nearly unusable with dl speeds in the 1 mb/s range and upload failed....whereas the LTE was 5-10 down and 2 up.....I'm now seeing 10-20 on the "5G" signal and nearly unusable on LTE/CDMA only settings. So that's something, I guess. 

We are not actually getting 5G NR though, just B66 LTE. It's just nice to have the opportunity to get a real 5G signal now if I come across one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

Something still isn't great with my GPS. It's locking most of the time, but often if I access Maps directions by just using the Assistant like "hey google navigate home" it'll lose signal lock and freeze up. Most other times, it's completely fine. It's very strange. I haven't tried it running this week because it's too dark in the AM and it's been raining, so I've been relegated to the treadmill and my stories. The Boys season 2 is quite good and darker than the first. 

A very nice thing that I can report is that The New T-Mobile has flip flopped on the LTE and "5G" speeds around me. Before the "5G" (automatic setting in Connections) was nearly unusable with dl speeds in the 1 mb/s range and upload failed....whereas the LTE was 5-10 down and 2 up.....I'm now seeing 10-20 on the "5G" signal and nearly unusable on LTE/CDMA only settings. So that's something, I guess. 

We are not actually getting 5G NR though, just B66 LTE. It's just nice to have the opportunity to get a real 5G signal now if I come across one. 

We're not getting 5G SA but we're definitely getting 5G NR.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't determine if my connection issues are network related or phone related..

 

There are times where it just doesn't work. Spotify says no internet, speed test won't connect. But it says I have bars, and usually in the mid 90s to low 100s.

 

The last time it happened, I tried a phone call (volte right?). It worked so I connected to something. But data still wasn't working.  Drove down the road to a "new" tower and it worked..  airplane mode off and on doesn't work... Reboot does..

 

What do you think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, floorguy said:

I can't determine if my connection issues are network related or phone related..

 

There are times where it just doesn't work. Spotify says no internet, speed test won't connect. But it says I have bars, and usually in the mid 90s to low 100s.

 

The last time it happened, I tried a phone call (volte right?). It worked so I connected to something. But data still wasn't working.  Drove down the road to a "new" tower and it worked..  airplane mode off and on doesn't work... Reboot does..

 

What do you think?

I have this same exact problem, but it only happens when i am connected to 5G and afaik, a specific tower in my town.  I notice it mostly when i am out for my walk at night.  I round the street corner and data is dead (shows 5G, phone calls still work).  I get to pretty much the same spot further down the road and data starts working again.

I have started very large downloads to max the connection out just to "catch" it dropping out and i can watch the speeds decrease to 0 as i round the corner.

I have found data will come back online though.  So either its dropping out for X number of minutes / seconds or maybe a certain panel / sector is having problems (since it is so predictable for me, literally happens between the same two points)?  not really sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Android 11 + One UI 3.0 beta is out: https://www.xda-developers.com/one-ui-3-0-beta-galaxy-s20-samsung-android-11-update/

Installed it earlier today. My phone actually went through two OTA cycles to update all the way. A profile update afterward lost 5G for me, but another profile update got it back. I'm seeing some instability (system UI crashing) when the phone gets hot, but otherwise things seem fine.

If you're super tied to your phone, you might want to skip this one. But since I'm at home all the time right now, the slight reliability dip doesn't bother me, so I'll keep the beta 'til the next one comes out.

Network-wise, ##DATA# no longer shows CA combos other than the Sprint ones (25/26/41, interestingly including n41+B25), though they still work. ServiceMode now shows MIMO rank on the PCC. It's saying B41 near me is running 2 streams, whereas TMo B66 and 2 are at four, at least while traffic is being passed.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, swintec said:

I have this same exact problem, but it only happens when i am connected to 5G and afaik, a specific tower in my town.  I notice it mostly when i am out for my walk at night.  I round the street corner and data is dead (shows 5G, phone calls still work).  I get to pretty much the same spot further down the road and data starts working again.

I have started very large downloads to max the connection out just to "catch" it dropping out and i can watch the speeds decrease to 0 as i round the corner.

I have found data will come back online though.  So either its dropping out for X number of minutes / seconds or maybe a certain panel / sector is having problems (since it is so predictable for me, literally happens between the same two points)?  not really sure.

I noticed it yesterday, it did it when connected to band 71.. I drove back to where i was going.. and know exactly which tower I should be on, and how it behaves.... it never kicked off of 71.. in fact (if Tmo towers keep sectors and notes the same to a tower, 2,12,66, all read the same notes for that tower and it looks like they do, if that makes sense??)  Anyway.. this band 71 tower which ever it may be did NOT read to the tower it SHOULD be... So I dont know, it didnt have any of my notes for whichever tower it may be...

Hope that makes sense lol.. i go back and read and had to change a little wording..

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 3:30 PM, mmark27 said:

Something still isn't great with my GPS. It's locking most of the time, but often if I access Maps directions by just using the Assistant like "hey google navigate home" it'll lose signal lock and freeze up. Most other times, it's completely fine. It's very strange. I haven't tried it running this week because it's too dark in the AM and it's been raining, so I've been relegated to the treadmill and my stories. The Boys season 2 is quite good and darker than the first. 

 

Not sure how more of yous guys aren't having GPS problems, my wife's phone finally updated and immediately started to fail and her dot was wandering around on Google Maps...... but as an update, I heard from Samsung. They know about the GPS dropouts and failed locks. It's almost isolated only on T-mobile's software build. It's an issue with Qualcomm's 5G chip and the GPS component. It will be fixed in ~2 weeks in the next update. 

 

I hope your data issues are fixed on the next update too. I always have these kinds of issues with my data dropping out or locking on to a shitty signal. It's just the cost of doing business with The New T-mobile I've learned. Going back in time 6 years when Sprint's network was unusable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Similar Content

    • By lilotimz
      Samsung Network Vision equipment are highly distinct and fairly easy to spot compared to the equipment that other vendors are deploying. Sprint is Samsung's first extremely massive American contract (baring Clearwire) so there  should be no issues in confusing these equipment for another carrier which happens often with Ericsson NV equipment.

      Below are images of Samsung equipment which includes antennas, remote radio units, base stations, and their mounting configurations. 
       
      Samsung antenna with eSMR 800 RRU & PCS 1900 RRU

      A close look at a Samsung setup





      Next Generation Samsung Configuration
      RRH-P4 4T4R 1.9 GHz  | RRH-C4 4T4R 800 MHz| RRH-V3 2.5 GHz

      Next Generation 8 Port Dual Band Antenna Setup 
      4 port 800 MHz RRH-C4 800

      (source: dkyeager)

      (source: dkyeager)
      Narrow beam setup

      High Capacity Site with 2 Antennas & 3 RRUs (2x PCS & 1x SMR).
      Second antenna is PCS only for now.


      Canadian IBEZ (NO SMR)

      Special Case PCS Only Setup for Canadian IBEZ




      Close up of standard antenna connectors 

      Samsung Cabinets

       
       
      Powerpoint slides from Samsung / Sprint
      *disclaimer - all  powerpoint diagrams and images were found through public municipality online databases and is by no means misappropriated through malicious means*
      *Credit goes to those whom took pictures of these equipment. You know who you are*
    • By S4GRU
      by Jeff Foster
      Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
      Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 7:46 PM MST
       
      Since last fall, there had been talk of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus launching on American carriers other than Big Red. Sprint has finally announced several weeks ago that it is the another vendor slated for release in the U.S. Suffice to say, many of us out there, especially those adverse to heading to Verizon and paying its premium prices, are excited about the impending release.
      The good news is that Google could be working on an updated version of the Galaxy Nexus. It has unofficially been dubbed the Galaxy Nexus Plus. There is much anticipation that it will be released before Sprint turns on LTE this summer. It’s not the first time an OEM has refreshed a device and re-released it to the market place, which works to our advantage. It’s rumored that the new Galaxy Nexus will have either a 1.5 or 1.8 GHz Texas Instrument OMAP4670 dual core processor. This would be a significant upgrade from the 1.2 GHz dual core processor found in the current Verizon version.
      We don’t know anything about official specs, but it’s also rumored to have an 8 MP camera. This is a noteworthy upgrade to the 5 MP shooter on the Verizon model (which has been lauded by many techies). We already know that the Sprint model will come installed with Google Wallet, per previous announcements. Some rumors also point to a beefier battery as well. The phone should have all the other features that’s on the current Galaxy Nexus, so now all we have to do is wait.
       
       
      Source: http://androidandme....era-on-the-way/
    • By danlodish345
      hello all i feel i should start a note 9 rumor thread  please post rumors and what not here.
    • By SturgeonGeneral
      S9 S9+ reported into the FCC
      https://www.droid-life.com/2017/12/28/galaxy-s9-galaxy-s9-show-fcc-already/
    • By jreuschl
      Noticed on TM Reddit that the S8 Active is coming unlocked, so would be compatible with Sprint.
      (Also supports TM B71)
  • Posts

    • So if anyone is wondering about the TMO and Shentel Deal. I got some what of an update today. Had an interesting day today not long before I went into work and when I was working. Saw a Technician out for Shentel using a Sprint truck looking at a a telephone line. I’m assuming they may be looking at putting up on the pole at some point. But stopped and talked a few minutes and asked what’s going on with the TMO and Shentel negations and alls he knew is that they didn’t take TMO up on the first offer they did for Shentel. And at work one of the Sprint Store workers came in and since the ones here work for Shentel I asked the same question. He said that Shentel had declined the first offer and that they are trying to negotiate a deal. He seemed like they will come to a good deal soon he hopes. 
    • Had an interesting day today not long before I went into work and when I was working. Saw a Technician out for Shentel using a Sprint truck looking at a a telephone line. I’m assuming they may be looking at putting up on the pole at some point. But stopped and talked a few minutes and asked what’s going on with the TMO and Shentel negations and alls he knew is that they didn’t take TMO up on the first offer they did for Shentel. And at work one of the Sprint Store workers came in and since the ones here work for Shentel I asked the same question. He said that Shentel had declined the first offer and that they are trying to negotiate a deal. He seemed like they will come to a good deal soon he hopes. 
    • Yup, in western PA and northeast Ohio, Sprint coverage blows away T-Mobile's. T-mobile seems to have built a barebones network just to claim coverage. In the Youngstown area I'd estimate that Sprint has 2x as many towers as T-mobile. Pittsburgh also has better site density and site placement. The only places I know where T-mobile has better coverage are along 376 between the 76-376 interchange near Beaver Falls and 224, and on the route northeast of Pittsburgh going up to I-80, where there is a 20 minute stretch of no Sprint service but T-mobile does. T-mobile built their network in this area to cover highways and major roads, but once you get off those, Sprint wins. Hopefully they keep most of the sites. Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    • Another one: https://www.fiercewireless.com/financial/softbank-to-sell-majority-stake-brightstar  
    • Hmm, I'm betting this is why I keep getting a "ROAMING NOT ALLOWED" in the service menu when I try to force SA N71. I had an issue trying to activate both my S20+ and Tab S6 when I switched to T-Mobile in April. Long story short they fixed the issue by giving me new SIM cards for both at a local store. My current SIM does not say R15 on it, it just says TM9263.
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...