Galaxy S20 Series Discussion

mdob07

Just now, Terrell352 said:

I tried it. I didn't get standalone. Use Samsung band selection app and turn on N71 only. That will tell it

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Tried that. Phone still picked up B2 as an anchor. I'm convinced that SBS can't actually control NR band selection at this point.

Tried that. Phone still picked up B2 as an anchor. I'm convinced that SBS can't actually control NR band selection at this point.
If you had a T-Mobile SIM you could get into the service menu and force SA. The Sprint SIM locks out the dialer code.

It appears that the S20 actually has some support for VoNR when locked to SA on T-Mobile. The signaling (captured via Airscreen, which is basically the PC version of NSG) seems to show everything as NR without LTE fallback, since the phone advertises to the network that it doesn't support LTE when locked. And this seems to only work on the S20, not other SA capable 5G phones. But there's still a little uncertainty with it. Either way, T-mobile is making progress with it and appears to be ahead of a lot of providers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ingenium said:

If you had a T-Mobile SIM you could get into the service menu and force SA. The Sprint SIM locks out the dialer code.

It appears that the S20 actually has some support for VoNR when locked to SA on T-Mobile. The signaling (captured via Airscreen, which is basically the PC version of NSG) seems to show everything as NR without LTE fallback, since the phone advertises to the network that it doesn't support LTE when locked. And this seems to only work on the S20, not other SA capable 5G phones. But there's still a little uncertainty with it. Either way, T-mobile is making progress with it and appears to be ahead of a lot of providers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Question is whether SA would stick after a SIM swap back to Sprint. I have a Straight Talk data-only SIM that I could reactivate that sits on TMo, so I could test this.

As for VoNR support, betting that it isn't actual VoNR, but basically the NR equivalent of CallingPlus/WiFi calling, where calls run over IP without QoS. Same idea as VoIMS on the iPhone when you don't have service from one of the SIMs.

Question is whether SA would stick after a SIM swap back to Sprint. I have a Straight Talk data-only SIM that I could reactivate that sits on TMo, so I could test this. As for VoNR support, betting that it isn't actual VoNR, but basically the NR equivalent of CallingPlus/WiFi calling, where calls run over IP without QoS. Same idea as VoIMS on the iPhone when you don't have service from one of the SIMs.  

No it's real VoNR. It sets up the equivalent of a dedicated EUTRA session (I forget what it's called in NR) for it with the proper bearer. NSG isn't really able to decode a lot of the VoNR signaling to get codec details and such yet.  

IMG_20200808_151451_381.thumb.jpg.55b5fbdcc3b2e474b0e00530ac677c0f.jpg1cd1459010a879d6e8196da12def4025.jpg

There are likely a lot of issues with it still. It's probably not supposed to be public yet, and it's a fluke that you can access it by forcing SA. It probably won't launch more widely until the x60 comes out, which is the first modem that's supposed to support it.

Regarding the SIM swap, I doubt it. In my experience, changing the SIM resets all locking back to none/default. But you can certainly try.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

OneUI 2.5 update is out for unlocked and T-Mobile S20's. Still no standalone 5G on the unlocked version.

Well if it'll work Iike on my T-Mobile phone the unlocked version isn't missing much. For me SA will work for a minute then go back to saying "Roaming Not Allowed". Worked for about 20 minutes earlier now its back to that again. 

On 9/1/2020 at 6:51 AM, BlueAngel said:

Been solid here, luck of the draw I guess. Factory reset?

Having issues with GPS on my runs now, it'll track me for a bit, then lose me, pick me up, lose me, etc. Tested with GPS Test and Fix, found out I'm not really getting a solid GPS lock. Finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset and still can't get a solid lock. What do you get when you run GPS Test and Fix? I know geographically we're all in different areas seeing different satellites. I feel like I'm using the Galaxy S2 all over again. 

http://imgur.com/a/REAJVG1

I've used this phone for runs all summer long, nearly every day, and never had an issue until the August 29th update. Now it's like clockwork, lost GPS signal. 

Edit: seems like this is an issue everyone is having after the update checking Samsung Members and Reddit. 

4 hours ago, mmark27 said:

Having issues with GPS on my runs now, it'll track me for a bit, then lose me, pick me up, lose me, etc. Tested with GPS Test and Fix, found out I'm not really getting a solid GPS lock. Finally bit the bullet and did a factory reset and still can't get a solid lock. What do you get when you run GPS Test and Fix? I know geographically we're all in different areas seeing different satellites. I feel like I'm using the Galaxy S2 all over again. 

http://imgur.com/a/REAJVG1

I've used this phone for runs all summer long, nearly every day, and never had an issue until the August 29th update. Now it's like clockwork, lost GPS signal. 

Edit: seems like this is an issue everyone is having after the update checking Samsung Members and Reddit. 

My GPS is fine, haven't had any issues.

https://postimg.cc/hhwyb4Q5

yea, mine hasnt had gps or battery issue..

Only gps is with permissions on a golfing app i use.. I have it set for only when in use.. and the app give me grief everytime, that it might not work right (it does)  but other than that, zero issues

Something still isn't great with my GPS. It's locking most of the time, but often if I access Maps directions by just using the Assistant like "hey google navigate home" it'll lose signal lock and freeze up. Most other times, it's completely fine. It's very strange. I haven't tried it running this week because it's too dark in the AM and it's been raining, so I've been relegated to the treadmill and my stories. The Boys season 2 is quite good and darker than the first. 

A very nice thing that I can report is that The New T-Mobile has flip flopped on the LTE and "5G" speeds around me. Before the "5G" (automatic setting in Connections) was nearly unusable with dl speeds in the 1 mb/s range and upload failed....whereas the LTE was 5-10 down and 2 up.....I'm now seeing 10-20 on the "5G" signal and nearly unusable on LTE/CDMA only settings. So that's something, I guess. 

We are not actually getting 5G NR though, just B66 LTE. It's just nice to have the opportunity to get a real 5G signal now if I come across one. 

10 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

Something still isn't great with my GPS. It's locking most of the time, but often if I access Maps directions by just using the Assistant like "hey google navigate home" it'll lose signal lock and freeze up. Most other times, it's completely fine. It's very strange. I haven't tried it running this week because it's too dark in the AM and it's been raining, so I've been relegated to the treadmill and my stories. The Boys season 2 is quite good and darker than the first. 

A very nice thing that I can report is that The New T-Mobile has flip flopped on the LTE and "5G" speeds around me. Before the "5G" (automatic setting in Connections) was nearly unusable with dl speeds in the 1 mb/s range and upload failed....whereas the LTE was 5-10 down and 2 up.....I'm now seeing 10-20 on the "5G" signal and nearly unusable on LTE/CDMA only settings. So that's something, I guess. 

We are not actually getting 5G NR though, just B66 LTE. It's just nice to have the opportunity to get a real 5G signal now if I come across one. 

We're not getting 5G SA but we're definitely getting 5G NR.

I can't determine if my connection issues are network related or phone related..

There are times where it just doesn't work. Spotify says no internet, speed test won't connect. But it says I have bars, and usually in the mid 90s to low 100s.

The last time it happened, I tried a phone call (volte right?). It worked so I connected to something. But data still wasn't working.  Drove down the road to a "new" tower and it worked..  airplane mode off and on doesn't work... Reboot does..

What do you think?

18 hours ago, floorguy said:

I can't determine if my connection issues are network related or phone related..

There are times where it just doesn't work. Spotify says no internet, speed test won't connect. But it says I have bars, and usually in the mid 90s to low 100s.

The last time it happened, I tried a phone call (volte right?). It worked so I connected to something. But data still wasn't working.  Drove down the road to a "new" tower and it worked..  airplane mode off and on doesn't work... Reboot does..

What do you think?

I have this same exact problem, but it only happens when i am connected to 5G and afaik, a specific tower in my town.  I notice it mostly when i am out for my walk at night.  I round the street corner and data is dead (shows 5G, phone calls still work).  I get to pretty much the same spot further down the road and data starts working again.

I have started very large downloads to max the connection out just to "catch" it dropping out and i can watch the speeds decrease to 0 as i round the corner.

I have found data will come back online though.  So either its dropping out for X number of minutes / seconds or maybe a certain panel / sector is having problems (since it is so predictable for me, literally happens between the same two points)?  not really sure.

Android 11 + One UI 3.0 beta is out: https://www.xda-developers.com/one-ui-3-0-beta-galaxy-s20-samsung-android-11-update/

Installed it earlier today. My phone actually went through two OTA cycles to update all the way. A profile update afterward lost 5G for me, but another profile update got it back. I'm seeing some instability (system UI crashing) when the phone gets hot, but otherwise things seem fine.

If you're super tied to your phone, you might want to skip this one. But since I'm at home all the time right now, the slight reliability dip doesn't bother me, so I'll keep the beta 'til the next one comes out.

Network-wise, ##DATA# no longer shows CA combos other than the Sprint ones (25/26/41, interestingly including n41+B25), though they still work. ServiceMode now shows MIMO rank on the PCC. It's saying B41 near me is running 2 streams, whereas TMo B66 and 2 are at four, at least while traffic is being passed.

• Like 3

On 9/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, swintec said:

I have this same exact problem, but it only happens when i am connected to 5G and afaik, a specific tower in my town.  I notice it mostly when i am out for my walk at night.  I round the street corner and data is dead (shows 5G, phone calls still work).  I get to pretty much the same spot further down the road and data starts working again.

I have started very large downloads to max the connection out just to "catch" it dropping out and i can watch the speeds decrease to 0 as i round the corner.

I have found data will come back online though.  So either its dropping out for X number of minutes / seconds or maybe a certain panel / sector is having problems (since it is so predictable for me, literally happens between the same two points)?  not really sure.

I noticed it yesterday, it did it when connected to band 71.. I drove back to where i was going.. and know exactly which tower I should be on, and how it behaves.... it never kicked off of 71.. in fact (if Tmo towers keep sectors and notes the same to a tower, 2,12,66, all read the same notes for that tower and it looks like they do, if that makes sense??)  Anyway.. this band 71 tower which ever it may be did NOT read to the tower it SHOULD be... So I dont know, it didnt have any of my notes for whichever tower it may be...

Hope that makes sense lol.. i go back and read and had to change a little wording..

On 9/11/2020 at 3:30 PM, mmark27 said:

Not sure how more of yous guys aren't having GPS problems, my wife's phone finally updated and immediately started to fail and her dot was wandering around on Google Maps...... but as an update, I heard from Samsung. They know about the GPS dropouts and failed locks. It's almost isolated only on T-mobile's software build. It's an issue with Qualcomm's 5G chip and the GPS component. It will be fixed in ~2 weeks in the next update. 

I hope your data issues are fixed on the next update too. I always have these kinds of issues with my data dropping out or locking on to a shitty signal. It's just the cost of doing business with The New T-mobile I've learned. Going back in time 6 years when Sprint's network was unusable. 

On 9/18/2020 at 2:25 PM, mmark27 said:

Not sure how more of yous guys aren't having GPS problems, my wife's phone finally updated and immediately started to fail and her dot was wandering around on Google Maps...... but as an update, I heard from Samsung. They know about the GPS dropouts and failed locks. It's almost isolated only on T-mobile's software build. It's an issue with Qualcomm's 5G chip and the GPS component. It will be fixed in ~2 weeks in the next update. 

I hope your data issues are fixed on the next update too. I always have these kinds of issues with my data dropping out or locking on to a shitty signal. It's just the cost of doing business with The New T-mobile I've learned. Going back in time 6 years when Sprint's network was unusable. 

Updating rolling out now. 5% get it today, more tomorrow and Sunday. 

• Like 1