Galaxy S20 Series Discussion

mdob07

gotcha.. wasnt sure if it was a + vs ultra thing or what
Also Tmo has the most uninformed network. You will see towers with B66/4+B12 and some with B66/4 +B2+B12+B71 or B66/4, B71, B12 and even some with just B12 or just B66/4.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Also Tmo has the most uninformed network. You will see towers with B66/4+B12 and some with B66/4 +B2+B12+B71 or B66/4, B71, B12 and even some with just B12 or just B66/4.

I havent dug that far into them yet.. I was with them for about a year is all, and that was 3 yrs ago or so... I know when i was.. there were great areas (better basement penetration vs sprint) where I am.. but then in other "expected" better areas.. they SUCKED.. It showed great signal strength.. but ohhhh you couldnt even send a tweet or text on them.... it was bad, made me feel happy about sprint..

But things are looking UP for sure now.. and with sprints spectrum and tower overlays...  yeah buddy

9 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

Thats how tmo operates. With Sprint its really simple. B25, B26 or 2-3XCA b41.

With tmobile you could be using B66+B2+B12 one min and the next using B2+B12 or B12+B4. Its there load balancing act so to speak.

And with T-Mobile CA isn't very persistent. It seems to only come on when needed, except I have been noticing n71 quite a bit when idle, of late.

FYI, Microsoft's store has the S20 for $750 right now, and the S20+ for $900. I just picked up an S20 for my mom (she'll be keeping her unlimited talk + text + 20GB of data plan on Ting) now that I've confirmed that the S20 is a solid phone/worth the price. I figure the phone won't get much cheaper for awhile, and this should last her for a good three years :)

In other news, at least in my area T-Mobile refuses to carrier-aggregate B71 with...well...anything. Now, this may be because they have two 10x10 carriers in B66 and two in PCS here, but it looks like they'll aggregate 2+4/66+12, despite 12 being a mere 5x5 channel (B71 is 15x15 right now). Maybe they're keeping B71 free for indoor coverage or something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iansltx said:

Got a software update this morning. Sprint boot/power-off logo is gone. Security patch level is now June. Not noticing any other differences yet.

What does it show on boot/power-off now?

3 minutes ago, clbowens said:

What does it show on boot/power-off now?

Samsung logo on power-off. Phone model info, then Samsung logo along for boot. My guess is that both animations are now identical to the unlocked version, and I'll be able to confirm this on Thursday.

• Like 3

So loving the phones... 

Question... how do I get my old (from the note 😎 notification sounds back???  They were just the stock sammy ones.. but they arent on the S20... and its kind of annoying.  You get use to 1 sound, then its gone.

Would it be in my files somewhere, when it did the transfer??

Samsung logo on power-off. Phone model info, then Samsung logo along for boot. My guess is that both animations are now identical to the unlocked version, and I'll be able to confirm this on Thursday.
I have the unlocked S20 ultra and the Sprint S20 5G and can confirm its just like the unlocked version now.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 1:31 PM, iansltx said:

Got a software update this morning. Sprint boot/power-off logo is gone. Security patch level is now June. Not noticing any other differences yet.

Yeah it was some minor camera fixes but yeah no more Sprint logo.

The S20 I ordered is now running on Ting/Sprint. VoLTE was off by default but worked perfectly, including HD calling, when turned on. That phone shows the LTE+ icon when on B41, where mine shows the thinner-lettered generic LTE icon in the same situation. T-Mobile roaming doesn't appear to exist...forcing T-Mo bands grants no service.

For where she uses her phone, this won't be an issue, but it'll be interesting to see how long it takes before MVNOs get T-Mobile roaming.

FWIW the SIM I got from Ting was a Boost/Virgin branded model. I wonder (but doubt) if Ting/Sprint customers will technically belong to Sprint as of 7/1.

I don't know how much everyone else voice types but this latest update has really destroyed voice recognition for me. It is defaulting to the Samsung voice recognition and if I do switch it over to googles it is unbearably slow now when it was super fast before.

10 hours ago, transitwatch889 said:

I don't know how much everyone else voice types but this latest update has really destroyed voice recognition for me. It is defaulting to the Samsung voice recognition and if I do switch it over to googles it is unbearably slow now when it was super fast before.

Works fine for me and I have the update that rolled out within the last 48 hours.

13 hours ago, iansltx said:

Works fine for me and I have the update that rolled out within the last 48 hours.

If I just use the Google keyboard instead of the Samsung keyboard with the Google Voice to text. It's better as it seems to be doing server and on device translation. While the Google voice-to-text solo application seems to only be trying to do server-side which is slowing down the speech recognition.

• 1 month later...

According to Reddit, this update added support for standalone n71 and n41. There was also some internal documentation that showed that T-Mobile has already started deploying standalone 5G. Their 5G network in North Dakota is almost entirely standalone at this point.

According to Reddit, this update added support for standalone n71 and n41. There was also some internal documentation that showed that T-Mobile has already started deploying standalone 5G. Their 5G network in North Dakota is almost entirely standalone at this point.
Standalone n71 sounds,SLOW

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Got the August security update this morning. No mention of NR-SA. Betting that's because connectivity is still routed through the Sprint backbone, and Sprint never even started building a 5G core (no huge need to when you're guaranteed to have LTE everywhere you broadcast 5G). T-Mobile's certainly capable of rerouting Sprint customers over to their own backbone, and they've already done so for a few Sprint customers, so maybe we'll get SA at some point. My guess is that this update enables it, but it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes to avoid confusion.

Got the August security update this morning. No mention of NR-SA. Betting that's because connectivity is still routed through the Sprint backbone, and Sprint never even started building a 5G core (no huge need to when you're guaranteed to have LTE everywhere you broadcast 5G). T-Mobile's certainly capable of rerouting Sprint customers over to their own backbone, and they've already done so for a few Sprint customers, so maybe we'll get SA at some point. My guess is that this update enables it, but it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes to avoid confusion.
I tried it. I didn't get standalone. Use Samsung band selection app and turn on N71 only. That will tell it