Galaxy S20 Series Discussion

mdob07

On 6/4/2020 at 4:00 AM, dkyeager said:

My concern is they will kill the hidden menus needed for the band selection. Alternatively, once August 1st hits you might not even have this choice.  The LG V60 could be a Sprint version or only T-Mobile. - 8 days.

If you mean the majority of the merger is done, and they are then (how to word it) merging the 2 companies onto each others towers  ( I think thats what i mean) 

Then it shouldnt matter... because then you will be on the "best" for where ever you are..

With that said, its still alllllll about where you land (in a fixed spot like a home) between antennas... So like around my home.. Purple are sprint, red is known tower... and the other based on signal strength is a guess  (yesterday it parked me on Tmo for a few hours.. while I was out, kind of weird)  anyway, see how much closer that Tmo is.. yet its signal SUCKS.. i go to the west and north along "Angel street) and booooom... .So i am usually on the one to the east, or the new one to the south.. right now, band 26, on the southern one... you go farther west of that maybe Tmo tower, there isnt a whole lot of sprint... they NEEEEEEED the Tmo towers, or to build new ones out there... LOTS of new houses have been going in..

Anyway, when the 2 towers combine, or select which is best.. I have no doubt around here it will be AWESOME.. because, they compliment each other so well out here  hole vs hole. hahahaah

towers.png

ok wellll I bit the bullet and got 1 of each .. 

My wife was due an upgrade, she is getting the S20

I am switching our home phone to cell (so i will swap the phones around hahaa) 

and I added a new line because, damn they are cheap

so also added the + and Ultra, ill give them a spin and see

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 6:46 PM, floorguy said:

oie 1st impression of the standard S20.... ehhhh TO SKINNY.

Why is this thing soooooooo NARROW.... crazy

Basically identical width to my PH-1, so I don't mind :)

Ok I am going to have to eat my words, and take back anything negative about what TMO was doing in Utah... (Well no, because it was true then) but now... Oh my damn..

Ok what's the easiest way to get pictures of my phone to here? I have some interesting (to me at least) screenshot comparisons. (I am running my trusty note 8, and the s20 ultra side by side..

The s20 DOES automatically kick you to TMO. BUT if things are in place, that's a good thing..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

Yep it add the camera fix and FINALLY adds 5G on tmobile!!! Unlocked S20 Ultra!!ca673e939af7f0f4c01887779a31bbb6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Does the band selection work? (n71 will still need an anchor band of course).

Can you get n41?

Thanks

oh 1 other thing..

what is a good case, screen protector??  I liked the IQ shield for my note 8.. and tried it on these.. but it might be just a little to big, that cases push edges.

I am trying a otterbox commuter, or this off brand with the ring on the back (actually seems decent) for the ultra

And a spigen for the +

43 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

Yes I have force 5G by selecting b66 nad N71

Let us know if you pickup n41. Thanks

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

I will they should be testing it at least.

How will we know if they're testing it? Will B41 go off line for Sprint LTE?? Do they need more/new equipment on the Sprint towers? (feel free to point me to any article explaining this)

I have to keep my phone in LTE/CDMA only mode (no 5G) to get any decent signal, but if/when they start testing 5G off Sprint towers I'm not really going to know in this mode. right? I fear Madison will be the last market to get any improvements anytime soon. 

How will we know if they're testing it? Will B41 go off line for Sprint LTE?? Do they need more/new equipment on the Sprint towers? (feel free to point me to any article explaining this)
I have to keep my phone in LTE/CDMA only mode (no 5G) to get any decent signal, but if/when they start testing 5G off Sprint towers I'm not really going to know in this mode. right? I fear Madison will be the last market to get any improvements anytime soon. 
First you need to find out if there are any N41 antenna on a tmobile tower in your area. They (at least here) will test when they are putting the equipment up. Sometimes the test is 20 mins and sometimes 2-3 hours. This is for N71 btw. It usually goes back offline for 3-6 weeks. The earfcn sometimes will change too so it can make room for N41. I have not seen that yet as this is the first N41 antenna in the marion county FL.

• Like 1

So a quick question??

Sitting at my desk explaining to my daughter how to read her signal check i installed on her phone 😎🤣

I was noticing her + was showing different bands then my ultra.. sitting in the same location..

Is this because her SC was the lite and mine was the PRO???  whats this about??

So a quick question??

Sitting at my desk explaining to my daughter how to read her signal check i installed on her phone [emoji41][emoji1787]

I was noticing her + was showing different bands then my ultra.. sitting in the same location..

Is this because her SC was the lite and mine was the PRO???  whats this about??
What phone do you both have? Also what network is it using?

3 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

First you need to find out if there are any N41 antenna on a tmobile tower in your area. They (at least here) will test when they are putting the equipment up. Sometimes the test is 20 mins and sometimes 2-3 hours. This is for N71 btw. It usually goes back offline for 3-6 weeks. The earfcn sometimes will change too so it can make room for N41. I have not seen that yet as this is the first N41 antenna in the marion county FL.

But you'd have to assume that T-mobile would be using _some_ of the Sprint towers? In Madison, T-mobile is terrible for signal and if they integrated a few of Sprint's towers, they'd blanket this city very well. I know of a few T-mobile tower locations that I can check on my drive to and from work. (I am keeping up with the thread loosely on the merger)

Edit: we have the faux "5G" indicator on B66 LTE here in Madison, so the tower is at least broadcasting the 5G for the signal icon, but no actual NR connections that I've seen. 

• Like 1

But you'd have to assume that T-mobile would be using _some_ of the Sprint towers? In Madison, T-mobile is terrible for signal and if they integrated a few of Sprint's towers, they'd blanket this city very well. I know of a few T-mobile tower locations that I can check on my drive to and from work. (I am keeping up with the thread loosely on the merger)
Sprint has more rural towers here than tmo and will likely have at least 5 keep towers. Most towers they are co located on though.

2 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

What phone do you both have? Also what network is it using?

sorry was a little vague

She has the + I have the ultra (why i posted here hahaha) 

And they were both bouncing around on the different tmo bands

• Like 1

sorry was a little vague

She has the + I have the ultra (why i posted here hahaha) 

And they were both bouncing around on the different tmo bands
Thats how tmo operates. With Sprint its really simple. B25, B26 or 2-3XCA b41.

With tmobile you could be using B66+B2+B12 one min and the next using B2+B12 or B12+B4. Its there load balancing act so to speak.

Just now, Terrell352 said:

Thats how tmo operates. With Sprint its really simple. B25, B26 or 2-3XCA b41.

With tmobile you could be using B66+B2+B12 one min and the next using B2+B12 or B12+B4. Its there load balancing act so to speak.

gotcha.. wasnt sure if it was a + vs ultra thing or what