Galaxy S20 Series Discussion

mdob07

it was the case for the group of us last week in the initial run.
Well I have the unlocked S20 Ultra on Sprint and I seen the 5G icon but it was not using NR. I have seen a friend in Phoenix with a Tmobile one plus and a unlocked S20 Ultra with the latest firmware and the S20 would only use LTE but would say 5G while the one plus would use 5G NR for real.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

Well I have the unlocked S20 Ultra on Sprint and I seen the 5G icon but it was not using NR. I have seen a friend in Phoenix with a Tmobile one plus and a unlocked S20 Ultra with the latest firmware and the S20 would only use LTE but would say 5G while the one plus would use 5G NR for real.

im not really sure as tmo seems to be playing fast and loose with how they do 5G (or reflect it on device).  i have the 5G icon showing right now but it always seems to show now even if i am just connected to band 2 (with no NR).  if i go down the street NR will show.

those of us who got the initial S20 update had the Sprint | SPRINT display so unless they changed something, that is how a lot of us knew we got the update.

im not really sure as tmo seems to be playing fast and loose with how they do 5G (or reflect it on device).  i have the 5G icon showing right now but it always seems to show now even if i am just connected to band 2 (with no NR).  if i go down the street NR will show.
those of us who got the initial S20 update had the Sprint | SPRINT display so unless they changed something, that is how a lot of us knew we got the update.
So you got yours from Sprint? I have yet to see a NR connection even when it says 5G.

4 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

So you got yours from Sprint? I have yet to see a NR connection even when it says 5G.

yes from sprint.  i had no native Sprint 5G around me prior to this so once they sent out the update last week it was like a switch was flipped.  im sure there was plenty of others around the country who had the same experience.

47 minutes ago, swintec said:

yes from sprint.  i had no native Sprint 5G around me prior to this so once they sent out the update last week it was like a switch was flipped.  im sure there was plenty of others around the country who had the same experience.

Yup

14 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

One thing i just noticed today on my S20.  It shows the 5G icon but if data is otherwise unused / idle...NR is missing from the service menu screens.  Once I start passing traffic it will populate.  maybe that is the issue for you?

anyone have issues with signal check constantly giving an audible notification?  Started out of the blue this morning and the only way to stop it is exit out of SC for good.

One thing i just noticed today on my S20.  It shows the 5G icon but if data is otherwise unused / idle...NR is missing from the service menu screens.  Once I start passing traffic it will populate.  maybe that is the issue for you?
The 5G indicator doesn't indicate 5G on T-Mobile. It just means that you might be able to use 5G.

Right now, 5G is only "non standalone" (NSA). This means that LTE has to be the primary carrier, and then it CAN aggregate with NR if it's available, but doesn't have to. If the LTE connection you're using has the ability to aggregate an NR carrier, regardless of whether or not NR is connected or deployed, it shows 5G. That's all that the indicator means, that you can use 5G if it's been deployed. There may not be NR even deployed on that tower, but generally it means that at least one of the nearby towers has NR deployed.

The only way to reliably confirm it is engineering screens or NSG.

Standalone (SA) NR is supposed to begin deployment in December I heard, so hopefully the indicator will be a bit more useful then

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The 5G indicator doesn't indicate 5G on T-Mobile. It just means that you might be able to use 5G.

Right now, 5G is only "non standalone" (NSA). This means that LTE has to be the primary carrier, and then it CAN aggregate with NR if it's available, but doesn't have to. If the LTE connection you're using has the ability to aggregate an NR carrier, regardless of whether or not NR is connected or deployed, it shows 5G. That's all that the indicator means, that you can use 5G if it's been deployed. There may not be NR even deployed on that tower, but generally it means that at least one of the nearby towers has NR deployed.

The only way to reliably confirm it is engineering screens or NSG.

Standalone (SA) NR is supposed to begin deployment in December I heard, so hopefully the indicator will be a bit more useful then

Yeah sounds like false advertising to me. Most people don't know they are not using 5G.

• Like 2

Yeah sounds like false advertising to me. Most people don't know they are not using 5G.

It's tough to say whether it's internally malicious/misleading, or simply a limitation of Android. Android 10 is pretty limited with it's API for 5G. Android 11 is supposed to be better (maybe this will be fixed then?).

It's possible that Google was having trouble reliably detecting if an NR carrier was used (or maybe a modem limitation?), so they just looked for that flag instead. It might be something like the indicator has to be tied to the primary carrier, and they didn't have time to re-write and test the code to make it instead reflect information from an aggregated carrier. There also weren't many (any?) 5G capable devices when Android 10 was released, and there definitely weren't early enough in development to make big changes.

Is that the reason? Maybe, maybe not, but it's a plausible explanation. Or they just wanted to exaggerate coverage lol.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

Yes, this could be fodder for a Verizon ad, assuming their 5g indicator works any better.  Given AT&T just displays 5ge or whatever.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 11:45 AM, Terrell352 said:

Unlocked S20s don't have NR71 enabled yet. I have the same issue. You'll noticed Speedtest app still says LTE. When I had NR41 It would say 5G. 

• Like 1

Yes, this could be fodder for a Verizon ad, assuming their 5g indicator works any better.  Given AT&T just displays 5ge or whatever.
I just used my girlfriend's Sprint S20 and my Ultra and she was using real NR while my ultra had the icon but was not using it.

Can anyone with a UNLOCKED GALAXY confirm that they can actually use NR?

Unlocked S20s don't have NR71 enabled yet. I have the same issue. You'll noticed Speedtest app still says LTE. When I had NR41 It would say 5G. 
Odd that last security update came with a prl update so I thought that did it.

Just now, Terrell352 said:

Odd that last security update came with a prl update so I thought that did it.

If you download the samsung band selector app you'll notice that all the T-Mobile 5G NR bands still aren't available. I'm hoping they don't forget about us. 

If you download the samsung band selector app you'll notice that all the T-Mobile 5G NR bands still aren't available. I'm hoping they don't forget about us. 
Yep I see now. So the unlocked version needs another update to enable it.

• Like 1

Has anyone gotten the May update yet? Both my phones are still saying no update available on the April security patch. Seems to be running a bit late, I wonder if the COVID pandemic is slowing them down also.

Has anyone gotten the May update yet? Both my phones are still saying no update available on the April security patch. Seems to be running a bit late, I wonder if the COVID pandemic is slowing them down also.
My unlocked verison got the update last week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

My unlocked verison got the update last week.

Any n41?

8 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

No the unlocked version didn't get n71. Not sure if it can get n41

Hardware wise they are the same product. Were n71 rights sold to T-Mobile in some secret deal like the ones Verizon bought?  Normally not a conspiracy theorist, but weird ot has not been addressed. No wonder the prices for the unlocked S20s have dropped.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:23 PM, S4GRU said:

Can you imagine Tmo's 5G prospects without Sprint spectrum?  They really needed this.  Everyone thinks Sprint needed Tmo.  But Tmo needed Sprint just as bad.  It really can be amazing together.  It's just going to be bumpy along the way, especially in some markets.

n71 is really only going to be useful as a fallback to n41.  To fill in the gaps.  Then, a 10MHz n71 connection wouldn't be so bad if it was only handling the places of the same site that n41 cannot reach.

Robert

I dont know if you remember my foray into the Tmo world a few years back (i mean I griped about a lot of things, so it may have blended)  But there was a reason I came back to sprint.. At least for the west of the rockies

Where sprint and Tmo were.. sprint generally had better speeds. Coverage was ehhh on the outskirts, but speeds ALWAYS better

Tmo had a bit better coverage radius but even though it said I had 2 or 3 bars of service.. speeds were, well like 1/2 bar.. Or like we are seeing in the comments on this thread..

Now reading through, looks like most are on the east coast having problems, and the midwest seems ok...

Is this a phone issue?? or signal/Tmo issue???  Kicking sprint customers off to Tmo like it "appears" is not going to be a smart move.. those who have stuck with sprint, understand their issues.. You go and add Tmo issues, and what makes them think its going to be better???

I have NOOOOO doubt, in the end.. maybe a year-ish.. IT will be wellllll worth the headache..

But reading these comments (trying to decide if I want to go to an S20+ or Ultra... And I cant decide if its a phone related issue.. or getting kicked over to Tmo Issue...

Either way the marriage was needed.. the fact there was ever an argument (more so from the "experts") show just how uneducated or bought, people supposedly in the know were\are...