Galaxy S20 Series Discussion

mdob07

2 hours ago, transitwatch889 said:

Wrote this post on reddit see if it helps

I'm not sure I follow the toggling roaming situation?? None of my roaming has changed and nothing needed to be toggled? 

Also, you said "enabled CA profiles" as in just checked them all??

BUT I went back to the Band Selection App and set the priorities back for B41, B25, B26, rebooted, RCS seems to be working now thankfully. The Roaming status is still "not roaming" in SIM card status in settings. I did go into the ##3282# menu and enabled the LTE Roaming, which was the only thing that was "off". Band selection seems to stick fine after reboots, so I'll keep with this for a while and see what's up. Then I'll have to do all this on my wife's phone....yikes. But she'll be pissed if she tries to use her phone outside home, fortunately that hasn't been the case for her. Friggin' nightmare at a time when I (and probably many of us) don't particularly need something else like this to have to deal with. 

On 4/28/2020 at 11:15 PM, NebraskaCoder said:

I can still toggle VoLTE. I wonder if in Omaha, Nebraska they have different 5G towers. SignalCheck Pro says I'm on LTE 1900 (B2 on T-Mobile) but it shows 5G in the title and I'm getting faster speeds than I did on 4G (I hadn't checked recently though). Not sure if I'm truly on 5G even though I have full bars at home when I didn't before.

A touch off topic so I apologize, but I didn't realize we had another Omaha member on here. If you wouldn't mind sharing your experience so far I would be interested to hear it. I'll link the Nebraska thread below. It hasn't been used in a while, but now seems like as good a time as any to revive it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mmark27 said:

I'm not sure I follow the toggling roaming situation?? None of my roaming has changed and nothing needed to be toggled? 

Also, you said "enabled CA profiles" as in just checked them all??

BUT I went back to the Band Selection App and set the priorities back for B41, B25, B26, rebooted, RCS seems to be working now thankfully. The Roaming status is still "not roaming" in SIM card status in settings. I did go into the ##3282# menu and enabled the LTE Roaming, which was the only thing that was "off". Band selection seems to stick fine after reboots, so I'll keep with this for a while and see what's up. Then I'll have to do all this on my wife's phone....yikes. But she'll be pissed if she tries to use her phone outside home, fortunately that hasn't been the case for her. Friggin' nightmare at a time when I (and probably many of us) don't particularly need something else like this to have to deal with. 

I specifically mention this was due to my personal experience. Just to state that before I continue. I experienced that because I enabled Wi-Fi calling while connected to Sprint as the secondary Roaming Network and it disconnected and did not reconnect when moving back over to Wi-Fi to Sprint data. Which at some point prevented my device from reconnecting when trying to establish data and voice afterwards.

So in case someone attempted what I did at some point, data transmission would not occur  and would leave the network status bar grayed and x'ed out .

It's just to clear the profile and refresh the system so it does connect. Which is why I made big deal in post in regard to messing with the Wi-Fi calling settings.

In regards to the CA profiles. They're deactivated with the update at least for me. I was only getting 1 carrier performance when connected to band 41. I enabled CA profiles for band 41 in the service menu screen. I would say use basic knowledge of what bands, Sprint uses for Carrier aggregation. And if you mess up you always can reset.

I'm not super technical I just read, and pieced it together so I can only give you my success and failures.

7 minutes ago, transitwatch889 said:

I specifically mention this was due to my personal experience. Just to state that before I continue. I experienced that because I enabled Wi-Fi calling while connected to Sprint as the secondary Roaming Network and it disconnected and did not reconnect when moving back over to Wi-Fi to Sprint data. Which at some point prevented my device from reconnecting when trying to establish data and voice afterwards.

So in case someone attempted what I did at some point, data transmission would not occur  and would leave the network status bar grayed and x'ed out .

It's just to clear the profile and refresh the system so it does connect. Which is why I made big deal in post in regard to messing with the Wi-Fi calling settings.

In regards to the CA profiles. They're deactivated with the update at least for me. I was only getting 1 carrier performance when connected to band 41. I enabled CA profiles for band 41 in the service menu screen. I would say use basic knowledge of what bands, Sprint uses for Carrier aggregation. And if you mess up you always can reset.

I'm not super technical I just read, and pieced it together so I can only give you my success and failures.

Okay, yes, that's great. Just thought I was missing something. We're all good. And thank you! 

😂 Actually DO NOT enable LTE roaming otherwise it hops right back over to T-mobile. Man, this isn't a tenable solution long term. Wisconsin has a lot of huge holes in coverage that uscc lte filled. 

18 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

😂 Actually DO NOT enable LTE roaming otherwise it hops right back over to T-mobile. Man, this isn't a tenable solution long term. Wisconsin has a lot of huge holes in coverage that uscc lte filled. 

Yeah it was only for the domestic roaming in the mobile connection settings on device. Not dialer menu, to clarify! 

7 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

A touch off topic so I apologize, but I didn't realize we had another Omaha member on here. If you wouldn't mind sharing your experience so far I would be interested to hear it. I'll link the Nebraska thread below. It hasn't been used in a while, but now seems like as good a time as any to revive it!

So, Dkoellerwx, I used to be on here in that same thread under a different username of OmahaBasil. I left long ago and when I recently came back about half a year ago, I couldn't login to that account. I created this account but it turns out you helped with my first question on there in page 9 (https://s4gru.com/forums/topic/2495-network-visionlte-market-west-iowanebraska-market-omahacouncil-bluffslincoln/page/9/). I'll go make a post over there.

It depends on your market. For me it is was band 25 profiles and band 41, that I enabled personally.  I an not familiar with the tdd blocks band 41 is in as I have macro and small cells in mine at different frequencies. So it enabled  all of them. I figured one would stick.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 7:15 AM, mmark27 said:

If you guys need a car charger that does "Super Fast Charging" with the S20 series, this one works well. I have it. 

ENERGEAR 45W USB Car Charger - USB-C Ultra Fast Charger with PD 3.0 - Multiple Safety and Usability Certifications - USB-IF Certified - incl. 3 ft. USB Type-C to Type-C Cable (White/Gold) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QM1JGDY/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_OsIzEb098FKC4

Is yours still working well? I've been through 2 of these, tried in different vehicles, used different cables, and both will charge either of my phones about 10% then stop. They also make a very high pitched whining noise when plugged in and charging. 

1 minute ago, mdob07 said:

Is yours still working well? I've been through 2 of these, tried in different vehicles, used different cables, and both will charge either of my phones about 10% then stop. They also make a very high pitched whining noise when plugged in and charging. 

Huh, weird. Mine still work just fine. Sorry to hear about yours. 

On 4/28/2020 at 7:27 PM, mmark27 said:

Oooo, baby. This 0.25 Mbps 5G is clearly the future! Can't wait for my email to download a single message. 

On 4/28/2020 at 7:29 PM, Tengen31 said:

That is why I find lowband 5G pointless. 5G should just be mid band and Mmwave. Put all 600 on LTE and you wouldn't notice a difference. Even tho vzw is planning it next with n5 and at some point n13.

Can you imagine Tmo's 5G prospects without Sprint spectrum?  They really needed this.  Everyone thinks Sprint needed Tmo.  But Tmo needed Sprint just as bad.  It really can be amazing together.  It's just going to be bumpy along the way, especially in some markets.

n71 is really only going to be useful as a fallback to n41.  To fill in the gaps.  Then, a 10MHz n71 connection wouldn't be so bad if it was only handling the places of the same site that n41 cannot reach.

Robert

• Like 3

Can you imagine Tmo's 5G prospects without Sprint spectrum?  They really needed this.  Everyone thinks Sprint needed Tmo.  But Tmo needed Sprint just as bad.  It really can be amazing together.  It's just going to be bumpy along the way, especially in some markets.
n71 is really only going to be useful as a fallback to n41.  To fill in the gaps.  Then, a 10MHz n71 connection wouldn't be so bad if it was only handling the places of the same site that n41 cannot reach.
Robert
Oh I know and agreed they need Sprint.. I'm only saying that n71 performs the same as LTE so I don't see the point of it. B41 5G for sure. TMO could on their own done CBRS and Cband but that will just delay them, so yes they need Sprint.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

So my days with my S20 Ultra are numbered, I am paying off my lease this week. Too many issues for a $1400 phone, the average camera quality/focusing issues to the less than stellar battery life and recent reports of the camera lens cracking for no reason I've just had enough of Samsung. Had the S10 Plus last year and of course I had the modem issue, two years two duds. The quality just isn't there anymore and there are no other comparable Android phones. iPhone 11 Pro Max here I come, I hope Samsung can get their crap together next time around as I am not too fond of iPhone but my choices are limited.

2 hours ago, mirskyc said:

New update for unlocked S20 5G Ultra. Hopefully enables T-Mobiles 5G bands

Screenshot_20200504-182347_Software update.jpg

You might be able to do *#2263# to see if it did. If that works it will show you what is firmware enabled on your phone (and you can enable/disable). Not sure if a Sprint SIM will let you get to that menu or not, T-Mobile does. The April update enabled N41 on my T-Mobile S20+.

8 hours ago, mirskyc said:

New update for unlocked S20 5G Ultra. Hopefully enables T-Mobiles 5G bands

Screenshot_20200504-182347_Software update.jpg

I would retest the band selector app if you are using it. Carriers tend not to like things that disrupt their plans for total world domination. Only compliant sheep tend to be "rewarded".

1 minute ago, dkyeager said:

I would retest the band selector app if you are using it. Carriers tend not to like things that disrupt their plans for total world domination. Only compliant sheep tend to be "rewarded".

Unfortunately I am still not connecting to N71 or any of the Millimeter wave. This is confirmed by checking *#0011#. I checked the band selection app and none of the t-mobile 5G bands show up to select. I used to be able to check ##DATA# and see what LTE bands were enabled but that screen doesn't work anymore.  Hopefully they don't forget to enable the bands for us Unlocked users. It annoying only have t-mobile Fake 5G / LTE when Sprint LTE and 5G were both faster

4 hours ago, mirskyc said:

Unfortunately I am still not connecting to N71 or any of the Millimeter wave. This is confirmed by checking *#0011#. I checked the band selection app and none of the t-mobile 5G bands show up to select. I used to be able to check ##DATA# and see what LTE bands were enabled but that screen doesn't work anymore.  Hopefully they don't forget to enable the bands for us Unlocked users. It annoying only have t-mobile Fake 5G / LTE when Sprint LTE and 5G were both faster

The S20 guys here have rev ATD6 versus your ATD1. n bands show for them.  Although yours does have May 1 security patch. Could be unlocked versus Sprint, else regional equipment perhaps?

The other question is whether T-Mobile will force firmware updates. Sprint typically did not.

9 hours ago, dkyeager said:

The S20 guys here have rev ATD6 versus your ATD1. n bands show for them.  Although yours does have May 1 security patch. Could be unlocked versus Sprint, else regional equipment perhaps?

The other question is whether T-Mobile will force firmware updates. Sprint typically did not.

I have the unlocked model and it seems like thats the reason, Deff not a regional thing since I am in NYC. Do you know if i can flash my phone to the Sprint build some how?

My s20+ just started showing sprint|sprint at the top left.  Anybody have that issue.  No problems, but it's really not what I want to show on my screen all the time.

phone screen.jpg

Just now, flyloc2 said:

My s20+ just started showing sprint|sprint at the top left.  Anybody have that issue.  No problems, but it's really not what I want to show on my screen all the time.

phone screen.jpg

##72786# from dialer will reprovision and remove that. Safe to do. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mmark27 said:

##72786# from dialer will reprovision and remove that. Safe to do. 

Thank you for the information.  It is much appreciated.

3 hours ago, flyloc2 said:

phone screen.jpg

Btw, that means you got the tmo update for 5G.

• Like 2