Galaxy S20 Series Discussion

mdob07

2 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Got the Feb. FE update on Wednesday, and the March update yesterday as well. Turnaround time not bad, even for the Feb. update. Better than it has been in the past. The March one surprised me.

Thankfully the Feb. update finally fixed the bluetooth issue I'd been having. Can finally use my headphones again.

Great!  Could you tell if it was the huge Feb update or the little Mar update that fixed it for you?

8 minutes ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

Great!  Could you tell if it was the huge Feb update or the little Mar update that fixed it for you?

It was definitely the Feb. update. I tried my headphones as soon as that updated rolled out haha.

• Like 1

Hey does anyone else have issues with their VM notifications not showing up on the top bar, or anywhere for that matter.

I every now and then check, and ill have like 6 VM in there over a 2 week period.  its beginning to piss me off.. Mine is the s20 ultra

On a separate note, my wifes s20 plays sound from VM real low, even with volume up, and NO speaker, and yes BT is turned off...  

Is this the VM issue, network or what?

On 3/29/2021 at 11:16 PM, floorguy said:

Hey does anyone else have issues with their VM notifications not showing up on the top bar, or anywhere for that matter.

I every now and then check, and ill have like 6 VM in there over a 2 week period.  its beginning to piss me off.. Mine is the s20 ultra

On a separate note, my wifes s20 plays sound from VM real low, even with volume up, and NO speaker, and yes BT is turned off...  

Is this the VM issue, network or what?

I have issues with voice-mail in general, I literally have to dial in to get the notification to go away even though I use visual voice-mail. 

6 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

I have issues with voice-mail in general, I literally have to dial in to get the notification to go away even though I use visual voice-mail. 

Same issue here on S21 Tmo sim.     even if I delete the visual voicemail I have to dial in to voicemail to get the notification to go away..    

• 4 weeks later...

So it appears my "signal" bouncing issues (how do i shrink a video for here??)  Is phone related NOT network..

Problem, in talking with the tier 2 CS guy.. Seems they dont have any around to  replace mine with?? 

So now what?? anyone dealt with a wonky phone that needs to be swapped and they dont have any?? how does that work?

hummmm inside a year BARELY for warranty.. bought in June

50 minutes ago, floorguy said:

So it appears my "signal" bouncing issues (how do i shrink a video for here??)  Is phone related NOT network..

Problem, in talking with the tier 2 CS guy.. Seems they dont have any around to  replace mine with?? 

So now what?? anyone dealt with a wonky phone that needs to be swapped and they dont have any?? how does that work?

hummmm inside a year BARELY for warranty.. bought in June

Free downgrade to the S21 series.

Edited by BlueAngel

1 hour ago, floorguy said:

what downgraded?? I remember them talking about it, but I cant remember what

They will likely give you whatever S21 is equivalent to your S20, although the S21 series is garbage compared to the S20 series.

15 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

They will likely give you whatever S21 is equivalent to your S20, although the S21 series is garbage compared to the S20 series.

I wouldn't say garbage. The S21 lineup are still worthy phones. They made some changes to help a little with affordability, most notably on screen resolution battery size for the S21 and S21+. That does make the S21 more comparable to the S20 FE, which is what I have and it's still a pretty darn good phone. The S21 Ultra is still a top of the line device with improvements over the S20 Ultra, particularly where it comes to the screen. The updated chips means the inclusions of 5G CA which might be enticing to some people.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I wouldn't say garbage. The S21 lineup are still worthy phones. They made some changes to help a little with affordability, most notably on screen resolution battery size for the S21 and S21+. That does make the S21 more comparable to the S20 FE, which is what I have and it's still a pretty darn good phone. The S21 Ultra is still a top of the line device with improvements over the S20 Ultra, particularly where it comes to the screen. The updated chips means the inclusions of 5G CA which might be enticing to some people.

Lack of MST and SD Card is a big loss for me, I'm probably going back to iPhone in the fall. No point in staying with Samsung. The S21 and S21 Plus are pure shit compared to the S20 equivalent, 8GB of ram like seriously and plastic backs? Nah Samsung has lost it and gotten greedy.

3 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

Lack of MST and SD Card is a big loss for me, I'm probably going back to iPhone in the fall. No point in staying with Samsung. The S21 and S21 Plus are pure shit compared to the S20 equivalent, 8GB of ram like seriously and plastic backs? Nah Samsung has lost it and gotten greedy.

The lack of the SD card was a weird thing to do, I'll give you that. But I also can see the reasoning, since everything is moving to cloud based anyway.

Aside from the Ultra, the line shifted down to help with affordability. So there were some sacrifices. Who really cares what the backing is like... they're in cases all the time anyway. S20 FE ~ S21, S20 ~ S21+. The prices are consistent between those models, so the specs are similar, with year-over-year improvements. The S20 FE was a really good seller (for a good reason), so they took that approach with the whole lineup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dkoellerwx said:

The lack of the SD card was a weird thing to do, I'll give you that. But I also can see the reasoning, since everything is moving to cloud based anyway.

Aside from the Ultra, the line shifted down to help with affordability. So there were some sacrifices. Who really cares what the backing is like... they're in cases all the time anyway. S20 FE ~ S21, S20 ~ S21+. The prices are consistent between those models, so the specs are similar, with year-over-year improvements. The S20 FE was a really good seller (for a good reason), so they took that approach with the whole lineup. 

I just think the S21 series is a downgrade overall and most people do. Definitely not a worthy upgrade over a S20 Ultra in any regard, a lateral move if any.

5 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I just think the S21 series is a downgrade overall and most people do. Definitely not a worthy upgrade over a S20 Ultra in any regard, a lateral move if any.

If you have an S20+ or Ultra, no there's not much there to make it worth it to go through the trouble to upgrade. I'm (hopefully) going to get the S21 Ultra soon, which is a pretty good upgrade from my S20. This biggest drawback in my opinion is the lack of the SD card, which is why I got the 256GB version. Assuming it ships. Ordered on the 12th, best shipping estimate isn't until May.

I've had both my s20 ultra and s20+ for a year now, I just noticed today I'm starting to see some screen burn in from SCP on both. 

Well considering EVERYTHING seems to be back ordered. I might be lucky to get an A-12 (just kidding lol) 

But seriously, I may be stuck with what ever... And its not an upgrade per se. It's a replacement  for my phone going wonky

looks like ill be getting a Note 20 ultra.. I guess that works.. I hope I don't notice the 500 mah difference in battery.. I am just happy they had 1 they could send me... The inventory is at seriously low levels on things

• Like 2

So the note I got turned out to be "used" probably was tried out a few days.. Stickers to seal box were new, everything looked fine, only 1 plastic cover was on the bottom edge.

How do I know??

Battery dead right off (thought was odd) 
Charged and turned on, wall paper with a pattern lock 😬😬

So I reset with button (not realizing because its been a while that there was google lock).. Had to locate a Samsung authorized repair place, get my paper work together showing MY ownership, take it to him and get it reset..

WHAT an adventure this has been... lets hope it's all done, and I have no issues with this note

I've taken the plunge, I decided to upgrade. I'm taking a break from Samsung for a bit, S21 is a disaster of a phone and their general practices are questionable lately. Going back to my roots of Apple, 12 Pro Max to be specific. I'll definitely give Samsung a look again in the future, it's been a fun ride I've used Samsung exclusively since the S3. They need to win me back.

4 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

I'm taking a break from Samsung for a bit, S21 is a disaster of a phone

Loving the S21 Ultra. Great upgrade over the S20 I had. Feels fantastic over the LG G8 I had before that. To each their own I guess.

5 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

I've taken the plunge, I decided to upgrade. I'm taking a break from Samsung for a bit, S21 is a disaster of a phone and their general practices are questionable lately. Going back to my roots of Apple, 12 Pro Max to be specific. I'll definitely give Samsung a look again in the future, it's been a fun ride I've used Samsung exclusively since the S3. They need to win me back.

I just cant get on the fruit train..

With that said they ALLLLLL have issues, like the carriers, or tv companies. You have to know what you want to deal with.

So any S-20 users IF you happen to have some signal issues, let me know.. I think mine started last fall, and progressively got worse.  I kept thinking it was network related, possibly phone.. But after a month of digging in, and actually having a direct contact at Sprint to work through it.  It appears to be the phone, The antennas as best I can figure went bonkers, they were fine at this time, and not so much at others.. I was missing calls that didn't even register on my phone, speeds would suck.

Got a Note 20 Ultra as a replacement..... WOW this is what your phone and a good network are suppose to do...

Compared it the other day at 1 of the first known "issue" areas (remember it was phone but I thought towers) I couldn't load maps, or any simple webpages.. Did a speed test, and like .40 down and 5 up.  The other day 586/48.  I wish when I send it back, that they could reach out and tell me what the issue was....More for my own curiosity lol

5 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Which one gets better reception in weak areas?