LG G8X Thin Q

centermedic

That sounds semi-similar to behavior Trip was talking about at times, though not sure if the buttons were 'unusable' for him vs. just 'not visible'.  I've not experienced anything of the sort on mine (caveat - so far anyway).

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 6:45 AM, Trip said:

The LG default keyboard no longer seems to allow you to long-press for symbols.  Given that I use symbols in most of my passwords, this is unacceptable.  I've now switched to SwiftKey, at least for now, though it seems less accurate than the LG keyboard it replaced.  (If there's a way to turn it on in the LG keyboard, please let me know.)

I've been using the Google keyboard for years. Swiping and long presses for numbers and symbols very easy to set up. Like it better than swiftkey or the default LG keyboard. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I've been using the Google keyboard for years. Swiping and long presses for numbers and symbols very easy to set up. Like it better than swiftkey or the default LG keyboard. 

I didn't realize Gboard had settings like that.  Tried it, dug in, and I do like it.  Thanks!

- Trip

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Me too.  I hate OEM Keyboards.  Switch them the instant I buy a new phone.

Robert

• Like 1

SwiftKey allows you to have a dedicated number row showing, which I love and always enable (Google's may do the same, not sure, I'm just ingrained in SK's setup).  And you can long press period for the other common punctuation (exclamation/question/comma), and long press enter for a swath of emoji options.

Update:  I finally randomly found an app I see the navigation bar icons disappearing in on the G8X (though important to note: they're still there/function if you hit the proper spot, just no differential between the icon shading and the bar shading) - the Credit Karma app.

It shows a fully black bar with no lighter shaded icons for the screen buttons. I fully restarted the phone and tried again with no change.   If I pull-down notifications, they show up properly in lighter grey shading, but as soon as I let go the intro screen after you log in still has a solid black navigation bar at the bottom.

10 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

SwiftKey allows you to have a dedicated number row showing, which I love and always enable (Google's may do the same, not sure, I'm just ingrained in SK's setup).  And you can long press period for the other common punctuation (exclamation/question/comma), and long press enter for a swath of emoji options.

Yep similar options in GBoard. Both good options.

Trip, unless you can find something I can't/couldn't after a good bit of Googling, I think the G8X is for whatever reason locked down for any way of changing the navigation bar or icon color/shading.  On the regular G8 at least per a video I saw you can change the color shading in the Home buttons part of Display settings, but obviously nada in the G8X settings.   And after finding references to being able to go into the hidden System UI demo mode and trying things, whether you download/install the shortcut from Play or you try and create a widget for it with Nova Launcher, the SUI Demo Mode screen just opens up completely blank.

• 1 month later...

Even if I had the prompt for updating and took the plunge, I'm not sure I'd be the best resource....I've always just used SCP as a casual user, just as an at-a-glance informational tool for what I'm connecting to band-wise, but I've never used it with the kind of depth for tracking down sites and logging such like many of you do.   Hopefully mideastbeast or centermedic might be able to give you some insight when the time comes.  Doesn't look like there's many of us with this model.

Update - manually checked and got the download/install prompt.  went ahead and took the plunge - new software version is G850U20f.  PRL version was bumped finally from 55572 that had been in place forever to 55574.  SCP seems the same for what I use it for at least as described above....I'm showing parked on TMo B66 out the gate.

So far the fingerprint sensor (knocking on wood here) seems a little more....consistent than it was (for lack of a better way of describing it) on unlock usage attempts/testing.  I'd intermittently had issues with it registering properly many times and always had to use the fallback unlock method.

50 minutes ago, PythonFanPA said:

Update - manually checked and got the download/install prompt.  went ahead and took the plunge - new software version is G850U20f.  PRL version was bumped finally from 55572 that had been in place forever to 55574.  SCP seems the same for what I use it for at least as described above....I'm showing parked on TMo B66 out the gate.

So far the fingerprint sensor (knocking on wood here) seems a little more....consistent than it was (for lack of a better way of describing it) on unlock usage attempts/testing.  I'd intermittently had issues with it registering properly many times and always had to use the fallback unlock method.

Refresh my memory, how do you check the PRL on an LG phone? 

1 minute ago, twospirits said:

Refresh my memory, how do you check the PRL on an LG phone? 

I don't think this is exclusive to LG phones, but generally speaking on Android you would go to About Phone and then Status to see the PRL version.

Actually my question should have been more specific, since PRl is usually associated with CDMA phones, but I'm curious being that some T-Mobile phones allow roaming on Verizon and Sprint, would they also have a PRL setting? 

9 minutes ago, twospirits said:

Actually my question should have been more specific, since PRl is usually associated with CDMA phones, but I'm curious being that some T-Mobile phones allow roaming on Verizon and Sprint, would they also have a PRL setting? 

@S4GRU - Robert, I know you have at least one Tmo line if memory serves, can you speak to this?

I checked with Google and it's only a CDMA thing, but again, if a (GSM) phone has the radios to access CDMA frequencies, I thought it would have a setting for PRL. Apparently they don't. Oh well, I learn something new today.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trip said:

My G8X offered me Android 10 this morning.  I'm waiting to hear if it's safe from a SignalCheck Pro perspective before upgrading.

- Trip

SCP was a little odd on the G8 after the Android 10 update, but Mike got the issues I was seeing worked out. I would think the update is reasonably similar to the one for the G8, so I would expect it would be fine?

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
16 minutes ago, Trip said:

I'm very happy with mine.  If you can get a good price on it, I don't see why not.

- Trip

I'd recommend it still too, assuming you're good with holding off on 5G.  Probably one of if not the best phones I've ever owned in terms of both RF performance and battery life.  I'm already missing the G8X on battery life especially as the base S21 even with power saver mode is noticeably inefficient by comparison.  Swappa has 2 New In Box ones (i'm sure this is the base version without the extra screen like I and I believe Trip picked up on back the beginning of 2020) for only $250:

Buy Sprint LG G8X ThinQ - Swappa

On 4/11/2021 at 12:47 PM, PythonFanPA said:

I'd recommend it still too, assuming you're good with holding off on 5G.  Probably one of if not the best phones I've ever owned in terms of both RF performance and battery life.  I'm already missing the G8X on battery life especially as the base S21 even with power saver mode is noticeably inefficient by comparison.  Swappa has 2 New In Box ones (i'm sure this is the base version without the extra screen like I and I believe Trip picked up on back the beginning of 2020) for only $250:

Buy Sprint LG G8X ThinQ - Swappa

Thanks. BestBuy has the dual screen for $500, so I was thinking of going in that direction.

On 4/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, Trip said:

I'm very happy with mine.  If you can get a good price on it, I don't see why not.

- Trip

Thanks!

I love the essential phone, but it's definitely running behind on speed.