Jump to content

HotSpot recommendation


Recommended Posts

So my Novatel hotspot has been running my home HSI for the last year plus and been very serviceable.  However, it's getting long in the tooth and ready for replacement (needed reboots, stability not consistent).

Any recommendations on a good Sprint hotspot I can buy, off contact to replace my existing device? I don't want a new line of service or contact, just replace the device.

Ideally, I'd like something that supports CA and I can still get with a warranty of some sort.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 9:30 PM, jefbal99 said:

So my Novatel hotspot has been running my home HSI for the last year plus and been very serviceable.  However, it's getting long in the tooth and ready for replacement (needed reboots, stability not consistent).

Any recommendations on a good Sprint hotspot I can buy, off contact to replace my existing device? I don't want a new line of service or contact, just replace the device.

Ideally, I'd like something that supports CA and I can still get with a warranty of some sort.

Build your own or pick up the HTC 5G hub.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2019 at 7:17 PM, belusnecropolis said:

Build your own or pick up the HTC 5G hub.

Can you talk about how to build your own? Or do you have a guide? This sounds like a really fun project for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thomas L. said:

Can you talk about how to build your own? Or do you have a guide? This sounds like a really fun project for me.

What is your carrier, budget and what do you hope to achieve?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

What is your carrier, budget and what do you hope to achieve?

I have one Sprint line that I use for fixed internet from a Mobile Citizen reseller, but am stuck with an extremely awful Coolpad Surf (you can't switch devices), it works in some other android devices when I have it set to LTE only with the right settings, so I'd like to build a device that supports multi-carrier aggregation and maybe even upload carrier aggregation on band 41.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thomas L. said:

I have one Sprint line that I use for fixed internet from a Mobile Citizen reseller, but am stuck with an extremely awful Coolpad Surf (you can't switch devices), it works in some other android devices when I have it set to LTE only with the right settings, so I'd like to build a device that supports multi-carrier aggregation and maybe even upload carrier aggregation on band 41.

You can switch devices. Just call Sprint Business until you get a rep that will do it. I did it like 3 years ago with a reseller line. I switched from a netgear hotspot to the 6100D router, if you need something off the shelf get the 5G hub or the CradlePoint CBA850. The cradle point will take a lot of different radios, you don't have to by their proprietary versions that are just upmarked and rebranded Sierra Wireless, Telit LTE cards. 

If you want to build your own you can do a few things, if you need examples from the group here I will go first,

I use a custom built Mediatek H721 board dual m.2, dual mPCIe, dual sim, 4xGb Lan with an Quectel EM20G Cat. 20 LTE-A Pro 4x4 MiMo radio as main, and a Quectel EM12G Cat 12 LTE-A 2x2 MiMo radio as as load balance/failover. I have 2 mPCEi WiFi 3x3 MiMo radios in it, both on 5GHz. T-Mobile as main, AT&T as spillover. This runs a unique version of Rooter firmware. 

The coax from the radios goes 2x MHF4 to SMA Female 5">SMA Male to 7/16 DIN male 2.8'> 1x Kathrein -19dB 1.7-2.7GHz 5' tall tower antenna. The main one is a really big antenna.

The other two antenna plans go x MHF4 to SMA Female>SMA Male to N Male 5'> WiFIX -15 dB 1.7-2.7GHz
This is three antenna, all dual port or Xpol. 2 for radio one at 4x4 MiMo and 1 for radio two at 2x2.

This build is super versatile. The EM20g does not have a public release yet, so yeah. All I can say is it is amazing. I get Bands 2/4/5/66 on T-Mobile for download and bands 2/5 for Upload. It lacks band 71 in the sample I obtained, but 7x carrier aggregation so whatever. The EM12-G is really nice as well, decently priced and has all of Sprint's bands and 3x aggregation down x 2x up.  

My other build is a Cradlepoint CBA850 router. These are nice if you do not like to tinker much, proprietary software, but if you want modern updates it is software as a service now. I plugged a Telit LM960 Cat. 18 4x4 MiMo radio into it, changed one setting and it showed up as their branded and overpriced version. You can also do this with Sierra Wireless LTE cards like models EM(M.2) or MC(mPCIe) 7455, EM7565 and EM7511. The Telit card I use with AT&T, I have used this card with Sprint, but it just roamed on to T-Mobile, because Sprint's network is rough in our area.

I also have the basic girl T-Mobile home internet box and a few other off the shelf solutions and smaller builds floating around.

If you really just want a weekend project a raspberry pi or ZBT WE826-T router works, with a USB sled hauling an LTE radio plugged into some cheapo omnis. About 120 bucks and it would probably beat the coolpad any day.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thomas L. said:

 

https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=74&sid=642c2c561cccbaca4bb81644f1158dbc

This should get you acquainted with the basics of building. I don't know how far along you are in your quest so I always start at the beginning.
 

 This thread a couple blocks over has some pictures of what other folks and I have put together so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 10:17 PM, belusnecropolis said:

Build your own or pick up the HTC 5G hub.

 

On 12/19/2019 at 11:38 PM, belusnecropolis said:

https://ltehacks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=74&sid=642c2c561cccbaca4bb81644f1158dbc

This should get you acquainted with the basics of building. I don't know how far along you are in your quest so I always start at the beginning.
 

 This thread a couple blocks over has some pictures of what other folks and I have put together so far.

THanks, I'll look through and make a decision.  The HTC Hub is $600ish from Sprint, haven't done any aftermarket searching.  Building my own would allow a direct output from the HotSpot to my home router, rather than having to bounce thru a repeater with coax output.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...