First Pixel device im somewhat excited about in a quite a while..

• Like 1

I plan on being on the front lines for this one :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jefbal99 said:

I plan on being on the front lines for this one :)

First time in a long time I'm looking forward to a google handset..

Really hoping it supports Sprint 5G since its pretty well deployed here in NYC.

3 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

First time in a long time I'm looking forward to a google handset..

Really hoping it supports Sprint 5G since its pretty well deployed here in NYC.

From the specs I've been following for a few months, no 5G in this one.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, jefbal99 said:

From the specs I've been following for a few months, no 5G in this one.

Thing is, don't know what to look for when it comes to 5G vs B41 on the FCC docs.

2 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Thing is, don't know what to look for when it comes to 5G vs B41 on the FCC docs.

It's gone now, but I thought the BestBuy listing only showed LTE connectivity, not a 5g modem

UL CA on this one?

UL CA on this one?
Hopefully. Though it won't help upload failing due to low signal, which is very common. We need FDD-TDD CA. When they deploy that it's going to make such a big difference.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, ingenium said:

Hopefully. Though it won't help upload failing due to low signal, which is very common. We need FDD-TDD CA. When they deploy that it's going to make such a big difference.

FDD-TDD CA is compatible with current and future UL CA handsets?

FDD-TDD CA is compatible with current and future UL CA handsets?
Yes. The Pixel 3 can do TDD-FDD CA I believe, as well as many other devices. The way it would work is B25 or B26 is the PCC and is used for upload (no UL CA). Then B41 is used as the SCC for supplemental download. Presumably they can prioritize B41 on the downlink over the PCC (to keep B25 capacity for when B41 is too weak), but I'm not sure if this is actually possible. Either way, in some markets where B25 is 15x15 and B41 coverage is very good, B25 is can be unused and has tons of capacity. Same for B26.

It would also help at events where the network puts everyone on B41 which is unusable from congestion, but B25 and 26 are wide open. That's a decent amount of extra capacity to add.

• Like 1

Is this coming anytime soon or no word on it?

Is this coming anytime soon or no word on it?
I believe it is live in some non-Samsung markets, but I'm not sure. It's been coming soon for a while now.

• Like 1

Looks like there might be a 5G variant after all and with 8gb no less..
https://www.gizchina.com/2019/09/15/pixel-4-xl-5g-variant-surfaces-at-geekbench-with-8gb-of-ram/
This is shaping up to be the best Pixel ever..
I would love an 8GB Pixel. The question is, what 5G bands will it support? Verizon or Sprint and T-Mobile?

3 minutes ago, ingenium said:

I would love an 8GB Pixel. The question is, what 5G bands will it support? Verizon or Sprint and T-Mobile?

Article is thin on details, unsurprising considering they are going by a geekbench submission.

On 9/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, ingenium said:

I'd guess it's just like early LTE days.  Where you have an AT&T LTE phone, VZ LTE phone, Sprint LTE phone and TM LTE phone... 

Would be very surprised with a 5G pixel this year, I would also like one, but leaks do not corroborate it. 

I do fully expect VoLTE w/ P4 on Sprint from launch. 

Would be very surprised with a 5G pixel this year, I would also like one, but leaks do not corroborate it. 
I do fully expect VoLTE w/ P4 on Sprint from launch. 
It will definitely have VoLTE at launch. Since the 3 and 3a both officially have it now with the Android 10 update. All newly released phones have VoLTE out of the box, it's older phones where Sprint is dragging their feet.

3 hours ago, ingenium said:

It will definitely have VoLTE at launch. Since the 3 and 3a both officially have it now with the Android 10 update. All newly released phones have VoLTE out of the box, it's older phones where Sprint is dragging their feet.

Does anybody have any idea at all why Sprint would not activate VOLTE on the Samsung S9?  Seems really strange how the S8 and s10 have VOLTE and the s9 does not.  Is there some valid reason why?  Is there a hardware issue with the s9?  Just the normal fumbling and bungling?    Looks really strange and it sure does not make Sprint or Samsung look good.  This type of thing is why many people leave Sprint.

So here's a weird (or maybe expected from Sprint) observation about WiFi Calling and VoLTe:

* On WiFi: Phone connects to BOTH - Wi-Fi and 1x

* On VoLTE: Phone only connects to LTE

Kinda partially defeats the purpose of WiFi Calling if phone is still gonna drain my battery by looking for 1x.

So here's a weird (or maybe expected from Sprint) observation about WiFi Calling and VoLTe:
* On WiFi: Phone connects to BOTH - Wi-Fi and 1x
* On VoLTE: Phone only connects to LTE
Kinda partially defeats the purpose of WiFi Calling if phone is still gonna drain my battery by looking for 1x.
It doesn't seem to actively use 1x and instead just listens and maybe registers. It is kind of annoying that the signal bar becomes the 1x signal, but that's just the way they do it. I don't think it impacts battery much at all. The battery usage is from transmitting.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 1:59 AM, ingenium said:

It doesn't seem to actively use 1x and instead just listens and maybe registers. It is kind of annoying that the signal bar becomes the 1x signal, but that's just the way they do it. I don't think it impacts battery much at all. The battery usage is from transmitting.

I need to investigate if 1x is required for MMS.  I suspect it is.... 

I need to investigate if 1x is required for MMS.  I suspect it is.... 
1x isn't necessary, but a non wifi connection is. Can be LTE, roaming, etc. It doesn't seem to run over the ipsec tunnel. At least it was in January when I last tested.