Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

When there is only one lever and the state is pulling it you get a 3 year 5G build; but will it be in cities built that no one occupies counted as coverage? Because they have that too.

13 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

Im not sure where China is in regards to 5G, but I can see them blitz past anyone and everyone.  When you look at some of the things they are accomplishing, its really amazing just how much and how fast they are doing things over there.  If they apply this to 5G. China Tower said they just need 3 years.  With how fast infrastructure goes up over there, I'd believe it. 

On 2/20/2019 at 3:51 PM, RedSpark said:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-cfo-robbiati-600-mhz-spectrum-past

According to the prior CFO (Date: November 30, 2016):

“We did not participate in the 600 MHz (auction) not because we didn’t have money at the time, or we were under-resourced for it,” he said. “It is simply spectrum that is spectrum of the past. The world is moving toward high-capacity wireless data networks, and in that world the best and most efficient spectrum that is needed for that… is mid-band spectrum, the spectrum that we have, the 2.5 GHz spectrum.”

Assuming he's being truthful here, Sprint's non-participation in the auction wasn't due to a lack of money.

Robbiati also noted that the TV broadcasters’ airwaves currently up for grabs may not be available for several years. The FCC has issued a 39-month repacking plan for that spectrum, enabling the broadcasters to move to other airwaves while their former spectrum is reshuffled for wireless use.  

“Why invest in 600 MHz spectrum if that spectrum doesn’t really cater for the future, and also it’s spectrum you cannot deploy for four years?” Robbiati asked rhetorically. “And it doesn’t have an ecosystem in support as widespread as 2.5 spectrum, which is the largest ecosystem in the world.”

Based on T-Mobile's progress on 600 MHz to date, he seems like he was incorrect on this.

They didn't. What he is saying technically true but misleading. They could have spent money on more spectrum but given the can't afford to put all their current spectrum to use i don't think they could have spent billions on spectrum and billions deploy it and billions deploy massive MIMO. So yes, they could have bought some but that isnt the end of the story. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 7:58 PM, utiz4321 said:

They didn't. What he is saying technically true but misleading. They could have spent money on more spectrum but given the can't afford to put all their current spectrum to use i don't think they could have spent billions on spectrum and billions deploy it and billions deploy massive MIMO. So yes, they could have bought some but that isnt the end of the story. 

Technically true but misleading? Not sure what that means. He was either telling the truth or he wasn’t. There isn’t a middle ground here.

He was either telling the truth or he wasn’t on why Sprint passed on the 600 MHz spectrum.

He was either telling the truth or he wasn’t on the deployment timeline for 600 MHz... or maybe he was completely wrong, which is a whole other issue.

My opinion: if Sprint is now talking about needing $20-25 Billion from banks/bonds to go it alone with a network build should the merger fail, it could have afforded less than that for 600 MHz. T-Mobile spent nearly $8 Billion for what it got, and it got a ton. Furthermore, Sprint would have realized much greater cost efficiencies on its national 5G build because of it being low band and it wouldn’t be in the position of having to borrow $20-25 Billion.

I believe it.  They can certainly operate 5G-NR on 600 MHz, which I assume is what they plan to do.

If, as some articles have suggested, failure to operate 5G-NR in mmWave spectrum makes it not "real 5G", however...

- Trip

• Like 5

4 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Use the truth to mislead? How is a person telling the truth misleading someone?

"Honest" politicians and lawyers do this all the time.  They give you the truthful portion of the story that suits their purposes.  Truly honest people can also do this based on their perception. On that basis there can be more than one truth.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dkyeager said:

"Honest" politicians and lawyers do this all the time.  They give you the truthful portion of the story that suits their purposes.  Truly honest people can also do this based on their perception. On that basis there can be more than one truth.

What happened in this case?

When you add the dimension of time, truth becomes an even fuzzier concept.

I think you guys can carry on your debate without me. 

Although I believe that the merger will go through, what do you think should be Sprint's strategy going forward? 

Here are my suggestions:

1. Finish deploying triband to all of its footprint and deploy VOLTE throughout

2. Continue deployment of 5G on 2.5GHz spectrum

3. Obtain (lease) more 2.5Ghz spectrum from owners

4. Somehow partner with Comcast and Dish to deploy 600MHz spectrum for 5G

5. Somehow partner with Comcast and other cable cos to deploy dual band (2.5GHz, CBRS) strand mounted 5G mini macros

On 2/28/2019 at 1:41 PM, dkyeager said:

When you add the dimension of time, truth becomes an even fuzzier concept.

I think you guys can carry on your debate without me. 

4D Truth? 😀

3 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Although I believe that the merger will go through, what do you think should be Sprint's strategy going forward? 

Here are my suggestions:

1. Finish deploying triband to all of its footprint and deploy VOLTE throughout

2. Continue deployment of 5G on 2.5GHz spectrum

3. Obtain (lease) more 2.5Ghz spectrum from owners

4. Somehow partner with Comcast and Dish to deploy 600MHz spectrum for 5G

5. Somehow partner with Comcast and other cable cos to deploy dual band (2.5GHz, CBRS) strand mounted 5G mini macros

Band 70 NR could be interesting if Sprint partnered with dish as well...

T-Mobile acknowledges its patronage of Trump’s Washington hotel increased sharply after announcement of merger with Sprint

“T-Mobile’s patronage of President Trump’s Washington hotel increased sharply after the announcement of its merger with its Sprint last April, with executives spending about $195,000 at the property since then, the company told congressional Democrats in a letter last month.”

“Before news of the megadeal between rival companies broke on April 29, 2018, the company said, only two top officials from T-Mobile had ever stayed at Trump’s hotel, with one overnight stay each in August 2017.”

It’s the way things get done around here...

18 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

Far from a non-issue.

It is how the Trump org works, greasing palms.

Trump isn't invovled in the approval process, no president is. So, it is completely a non issue. And your "orange man bad" comments have no place here. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, utiz4321 said:

Trump isn't invovled in the approval process, no president is. So, it is completely a non issue. And your "orange man bad" comments have no place here. 

Actually, it is a real issue. While presidents are not supposed to be involved in merger approvals, this one has already (so far unsuccessfully) tried to block the AT&T-Time Warner merger (for apparently personal reasons), and who can predict where he will go next. 

The last guy coddled big tech sites while leaning on the FCC to approve net neutrality, even took time to make an address pleading for it. Now they are gatekeeping via platforms.

Influence obviously can be exerted, whether it gets beyond an exercise is up to the FCC and DOJ, and we have the example above to see how it can turn out.

19 hours ago, utiz4321 said:

No normal president, as they follow the law.

This time it is different, he doesn't follow the law. 

What orange man comment?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RedSpark said:

We need to post the links for these filings and see what they say.