Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

52 minutes ago, bretton88 said:

So if CPUC denies it, but the feds approve it, does it matter that California denied it?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

New York would say no it does not matter.  I assume Sprint could close down or sell its California business if needed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dkyeager said:

New York would say no it does not matter.  I assume Sprint could close down or sell its California business if needed.

Sell all the Sprint cell sites and stores to some type of holding company.  Then start quietly moving all customers and employees over to T-Mobile.  Surely there would be  away to get around some politicians.

• Like 1

I could see, if necessary, Sprint and T-Mobile selling all California assets and the possibilities of completely pulling out of California if necessary.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, kct1975 said:

I could see, if necessary, Sprint and T-Mobile selling all California assets and the possibilities of completely pulling out of California if necessary.

There are ways to get around the political bull.  T-mobile-Sprint would not ever totally pull out.  Just go with t-mobile, quietly move all Sprint subscribers to T-mobile, close sprint stores or re-name them.  You can bet it would get done somehow.  Sprint would just disappear.

California if it was its own country is something like the 6th largest economy in the world. The companies won't pull out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

There will have to be sufficient grounds and California law to be able to deny it and let it stand (or any state for that matter).  California has courts too.  And something like this would be unprecedented and could end up in the Supreme Court pushing the bounds of the 10th Amendment.

Robert

• Like 3

1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

I personally want Sprint to stick around for a long time.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I think Sprint can expand on its own, but it will just take longer than people want them too. Sprint (on their own) has made great strides just in the past two years in my opinion). 

• Like 1

I think Sprint can expand on its own, but it will just take longer than people want them too. Sprint (on their own) has made great strides just in the past two years in my opinion). 
Okay I don't disagree with you there. They have definitely made improvements. I just want to see overall coverage expansion and some more densification. Obviously that would take lots of time and lots of money. And we all know their financial situation. So I'm waiting to see with interest what happens here.

• Like 2

This isn't good news [emoji438] for the merger...

Democrat 2020 hopefuls press Trump to sink T-Mobile, Sprint $26.5 billion merger

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/democrat-2020-hopefuls-press-trump-administration-to-sink-26-5-billion-t-mobile-sprint-merger

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kct1975 said:

This isn't good news emoji438.png for the merger...

Democrat 2020 hopefuls press Trump to sink T-Mobile, Sprint $26.5 billion merger

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/democrat-2020-hopefuls-press-trump-administration-to-sink-26-5-billion-t-mobile-sprint-merger

It will be fine.

21 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

Okay I don't disagree with you there. They have definitely made improvements. I just want to see overall coverage expansion and some more densification. Obviously that would take lots of time and lots of money. And we all know their financial situation. So I'm waiting to see with interest what happens here.

Sprint is spending lots of money. TMobile has been doing just fine with $4~5 billion on CapEx for several years.  Sprint is back up at this level.  If they maintain it, it just depends where they'd want to put that money.   They have excellent extended roaming agreements, and have one with TMobile for three more years. Out of site upgrades, site density, market growth expansion and new native coverage, I can see new native coverage being at the bottom of the list due to these agreements. Especially if Sprint wants to be a city leader in 5G NR.

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 2

Sprint is spending lots of money. TMobile has been doing just fine with $4~5 billion on CapEx for several years.  Sprint is back up at this level.  If they maintain it, it just depends where they'd want to put that money.   They have excellent extended roaming agreements, and have one with TMobile for three more years. Out of site upgrades, site density, market growth expansion and new native coverage, I can see new native coverage being at the bottom of the list due to these agreements. Especially if Sprint wants to be a city leader in 5G NR.
Hmm thats a solid argument which I wont disagree with but...in my area sprints density is terrible especially off of the main highway.. A new cell site or two is needed for sprint to fill in two roaming holes that are huge.....and the same could be said for tmobile with density...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

If T-Mobile would keep the Sprint roaming agreements after they merge with Sprint, the combined company would have incredible coverage.  The Sprint roaming agreements are extremely useful (and expensive) in keeping Sprint mobile devices usable in coverage holes.  The T-Mobile network is a little better than Sprint's in some areas but in other areas is far worse and just goes to no service since T-Mobile currently has many areas with no roaming agreements.

• Like 1

If T-Mobile would keep the Sprint roaming agreements after they merge with Sprint, the combined company would have incredible coverage.  The Sprint roaming agreements are extremely useful (and expensive) in keeping Sprint mobile devices usable in coverage holes.  The T-Mobile network is a little better than Sprint's in some areas but in other areas is far worse and just goes to no service since T-Mobile currently has many areas with no roaming agreements.
Actually if TMobile can continue to expand coverage that would be absolutely fantastic. And not just rely on roaming agreements. As you just said roaming Agreements are pretty expensive. So it would really be and the new carriers interest in building out new coverage. Obviously that's a very expensive and complicated process logistically. So I would really like to see what would happen.

Sent from my SM-T837T using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, radem said:

Forgot all about T-Mobile roaming, I haven't seen it in a long time all I get is 3G when I lose LTE now.

• Like 1