Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

I thought one of the big things in the merger was to lower prices?

In their FCC filings, T-Mobile and Sprint don’t even pretend that the merger would lower prices. In fact, their own economic models show that prices would rise.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-gonzalez-sprint-t-mobile-merger-20190121-story.html

In their FCC filings, T-Mobile and Sprint don’t even pretend that the merger would lower prices. In fact, their own economic models show that prices would rise.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-gonzalez-sprint-t-mobile-merger-20190121-story.html

Hmmm interesting. I could see prices more in line with Verizon and AT&T...T-Mobile is already knocking on that door as it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices will never be lower. Long gone are those days, whether or not the merger goes through or not.
You obviously need to have higher prices to build out a better Network it obviously does not come cheap.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Prices will never be lower. Long gone are those days, whether or not the merger goes through or not.

I agree with you but I could see them get in trouble with their wording. On https://newtmobile.com/ it states 

New T-Mobile will be uniquely able to accelerate the country’s position and quickly deploy a broad and deep nationwide 5G network that will deliver unprecedented services and lower prices to consumers at all price points and businesses of all sizes across all parts of the U.S.

I could see them come back and say well lower than Verizon and AT&T...

I could see them come back and say well lower than Verizon and AT&T...
I still think that the prices will be more in mind for Verizon and AT&t. Honestly to build out a maintain and expand the network of that caliber and size you need obviously more money from your revenue source which is consumers. So in these higher prices to build out the network and to maintain it it cost lots and lots and lots of money I do not see prices going lower. They would not be turning a profit they kept prices where they are.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, JThorson said:

So many groups have made up their minds first, find facts to back them later.  In a more straightforward article would want to see the models assumptions in detail.  The article quotes Dish, whose role is typically to drive up the costs of mergers.  Without Dish doing that for the purchase of Clearwire, there possibly could have been billions more for Sprint network expansion or lower prices.

4 hours ago, dkyeager said:

So many groups have made up their minds first, find facts to back them later.  In a more straightforward article would want to see the models assumptions in detail.  The article quotes Dish, whose role is typically to drive up the costs of mergers.  Without Dish doing that for the purchase of Clearwire, there possibly could have been billions more for Sprint network expansion or lower prices.

Agree.    Dish has nothing to win by T Mobile and Sprint merging... Aren't they part of AT&T anyway?     The article was written from a one sided old idea that most all mergers hurt the public.  I think Sprint, on it's own will eventually hurt the customers because they won't be able to compete on a one to one basis with the likes of giants like AT&T and Verizon (even T Mobile is now nearly 1 1/2 times bigger than Sprint), but will have to charge nearly as much for monthly service regardless, even if their service doesn't measure up to Verizon or AT&T.  Prices are already nearly the same!   It will be painful and very slow for them to get 5G out to the masses on their own.     Let's face it, like Bigsnake49 and DanD said above, prices are not going anywhere but probably holding steady or rising... like every other purchased good we buy.          

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Or bidding up the price of Sprint itself. Or driven up prices of AWS-3.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 10:03 PM, JThorson said:

I don't know if you noticed but the sited Dish's reply to T-mobile, not the T-mobile or sprint filings.  Click the embedded link, in downloads Dish's reply. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, utiz4321 said:

Baseless allegations that qualifies as libel. 

I know the guy.  DO YOU?  I have Family/Friends In the New York Real Estate Market. DO YOU?  I don't care if you support him or not.  Its smart what T-mobile did and will do.  That's How you gain favor. 

7 minutes ago, runagun said:

I know the guy.  DO YOU?  I have Family/Friends In the New York Real Estate Market. DO YOU?  I don't care if you support him or not.  Its smart what T-mobile did and will do.  That's How you gain favor. 

All that is baseless libel. Evidence of wrong doing? Nope! Then don't accuss people of crimes or disparage their reputation without evidence

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, utiz4321 said:

All that is baseless libel. Evidence of wrong doing? Nope! Then don't accuss people of crimes or disparage their reputation without evidence

Bud, You took it as a a disparaging comment.Subject Matter is T-mobile staying at his hotels.  Chill on the Kool-Aid, it could give you diabetes.  :) 

Oh, I see your from AZ.  Coverage on the East Valley still stinks even after swapping to the Moto X2 force.  They've upgraded 2.5 but they still have a bunch of holes around Gilbert. 202 East is a nightmare from I10.  

Except there are a number of Democrats in the house that now want to look at this again. So I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Except there are a number of Democrats in the house that now want to look at this again. So I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'd say it would be a couple of years before this merger is either approved or denied

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

I'd say it would be a couple of years before this merger is either approved or denied

Hopefully the limbo won't last that long.

Hopefully the limbo won't last that long.
Hopefully not. But at the same time considering the complexity and scale of the merger it may take a very long time. This is one Mammoth merger.

Based on the Shentel nTelos Merger, my guess is one year from the Department of Justice approval for the FCC to hammer out all the details.  It would be to Sprint users benefit to go that long so hopefully the planned updates are completed.  That will be all you get until T-Mobile would convert your market  which is planned to take 3 years.

Based on the Shentel nTelos Merger, my guess is one year from the Department of Justice approval for the FCC to hammer out all the details.  It would be to Sprint users benefit to go that long so hopefully the planned updates are completed.  That will be all you get until T-Mobile would convert your market  which is planned to take 3 years.
And with this new merger that may possibly happen. I suspect that the FCC maybe require TMobile to build out new coverage in areas that don't even have service.