Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Less competition, higher rates, no thanks.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I don't want higher rates..my T-Mobile cell phone plan is already expensive enough. It's getting to the point where I cannot afford to pay for it...

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

I see the merger as not less competition but rather stronger competition. And rates - who knows. But I don’t suspect higher any time soon. $140 I pay Tmo now for two lines is a great deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pay only $100 a month but still that's a bit high for a single line.

3 hours ago, danlodish345 said:

I pay only $100 a month but still that's a bit high for a single line.

You really want a larger number of people on one plan no matter what carrier.  Ideally 4 or more.  It should be easier to get such groups together after a merger.  The key issue is the phone "discounts" provided by the carriers which must flow back through the bill, as well as the ability/desire of all the group members to make full and timely payments.

12 hours ago, though said:

Less competition, higher rates, no thanks.

High fixed cost means fewer players make for lower prices!!. Prices would be retarded high and we would still be on early 3g tech if the maket kept its 8 major players it had in the early 2000s.  

• Like 2

High fixed cost means fewer players make for lower prices!!. Prices would be retarded high and we would still be on early 3g tech if the maket kept its 8 major players it had in the early 2000s.  
Well when I see my plan stay the same for more than a year after the merger I'll be inclined to agree with you.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Well when I see my plan stay the same for more than a year after the merger I'll be inclined to agree with you.

A single line plan may increase. Just my educated guess.

If I only needed a single line I’d most likely be on a month to month carrier plan. Typically better deals. But every one has their specific needs so not judging.

A single line plan may increase. Just my educated guess.

If I only needed a single line I’d most likely be on a month to month carrier plan. Typically better deals. But every one has their specific needs so not judging.

Yeah I agree with you on that one. Only time will tell.

5 hours ago, utiz4321 said:

8 is a bit different than 4.

13 minutes ago, though said:

8 is a bit different than 4.

5g is a bit different than 3.5g.  Nationwide coverage isn't regional coverage.  That is the point. There is alot more to pricing and an efficient market than number of producers. 

No holding back by Neville on what "New T-Mobile" means for 5G:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/5g-for-few-vs-5g-for-all

Verizon named their 5G Ultra Wide Band (UWB) – to trick you into thinking their network’s scarcity is something special. In fact, they’re working with OEMs to show “5G UWB” on the device … when you can find it!  UWB should be short for UnderWhelming Bullshit because that’s exactly what it is.

and

AT&T is launching 5G with big-a$$ 5G pucks

This is not what America pucking wants.

And if you missed it, take a look at the handy puck gift guide we published to help people lug this thing around.

• Like 1

No holding back by Neville on what "New T-Mobile" means for 5G:
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/5g-for-few-vs-5g-for-all
Verizon named their 5G Ultra Wide Band (UWB) – to trick you into thinking their network’s scarcity is something special. In fact, they’re working with OEMs to show “5G UWB” on the device … when you can find it!  UWB should be short for UnderWhelming Bullshit because that’s exactly what it is.
and

AT&T is launching 5G with big-a$$ 5G pucks

This is not what America pucking wants.

And if you missed it, take a look at the handy puck gift guide we published to help people lug this thing around.

That is a funny way of saying it.

On 12/19/2018 at 3:23 AM, Johnner1999 said:

I see the merger as not less competition but rather stronger competition. And rates - who knows. But I don’t suspect higher any time soon. $140 I pay Tmo now for two lines is a great deal!

A great deal was a couple years ago.  You pay 40% more than I do for two lines.   Could also get a single line for $60.  $140 for two lines is crazy. If I had to pay that I'd just get on an MVNO and save $100/mo.  

That whole statement from TMobile is loaded full of dumb. They are basically saying "yeah, we won't have anything 5G for a while now.  Since we aren't first, lets poo on others accomplishments". Like seriously, they are getting to where they are trying to make fun on VZW for using a clever marketing term.  

TMobile should do better with their PR time.  

Edited by red_dog007

A great deal was a couple years ago.  You pay 40% more than I do for two lines.   Could also get a single line for $60.  $140 for two lines is crazy. If I had to pay that I'd just get on an MVNO and save $100/mo.  

That whole statement from TMobile is loaded full of dumb. They are basically saying "yeah, we won't have anything 5G for a while now.  Since we aren't first, lets poo on others accomplishments". Like seriously, they are getting to where they are trying to make fun on VZW for using a clever marketing term.  
TMobile should do better with their PR time.  
Tmobile is stupid to an extent anyways ...tmobile really needs to just shut up and expand coverage...i dont care about speed if the coverage consistency and quality isn't there...

Tmobile is stupid to an extent anyways ...tmobile really needs to just shut up and expand coverage...i dont care about speed if the coverage consistency and quality isn't there...

Same could be said for Sprint then too.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 4:32 PM, red_dog007 said:

That whole statement from TMobile is loaded full of dumb. They are basically saying "yeah, we won't have anything 5G for a while now.  Since we aren't first, lets poo on others accomplishments".

T-Mobile won't have 5G on the 600MHz band until the summer with Qualcomm's 2nd 5G chipset (source: https://www.pcmag.com/news/365578/t-mobile-confirms-samsung-5g-phone)   To the best of my knowledge, all of T-Mobile's 28MM for 5G which can be used with the Samsung Galaxy 10 (or whatever) is located in Ohio covering most of the state using LMDS A Block 850+150+150 Mhz leaving Verizon with the paltry B Block with 75Mhz +75Mhz in Ohio*.  This does not include the unreleased results to the 28mm auction which is tied to the upcoming 24mm auction.

Sprint's Band 41- 5G is included with the 855 chipset thus the Samsung Galaxy 10 (or whatever).

You never know what lobbying or special fees/payments/etc occurred behind the scenes to insure what bands were included in their first 5G chipset.  AT&T mid-bands also missed.

*as these licenses currently stand.  In auction 101 for the 28mm, it is stated that both blocks will be 425Mhz each.  Auction 102 will have blocks A through G, with each block being 100Mhz, the first two and last five are contiguous spectrum.  Since the results of the auction will be released together, I assume they will be effectively treated the same by the carriers -- time will tell.  101 is county based while 102 is Partial Economic Area based (multi-county).

T-Mobile won't have 5G on the 600MHz band until the summer with Qualcomm's 2nd 5G chipset (source: https://www.pcmag.com/news/365578/t-mobile-confirms-samsung-5g-phone)   To the best of my knowledge, all of T-Mobile's 28MM for 5G which can be used with the Samsung Galaxy 10 (or whatever) is located in Ohio covering most of the state using LMDS A Block 850+150+150 Mhz leaving Verizon with the paltry B Block with 75Mhz +75Mhz in Ohio*.  This does not include the unreleased results to the 28mm auction which is tied to the upcoming 24mm auction.

Sprint's Band 41- 5G is included with the 855 chipset thus the Samsung Galaxy 10 (or whatever).

You never know what lobbying or special fees/payments/etc occurred behind the scenes to insure what bands were included in their first 5G chipset.  AT&T mid-bands also missed.

*as these licenses currently stand.  In auction 101 for the 28mm, it is stated that both blocks will be 425Mhz each.  Auction 102 will have blocks A through G, with each block being 100Mhz, the first two and last five are contiguous spectrum.  Since the results of the auction will be released together, I assume they will be effectively treated the same by the carriers -- time will tell.  101 is county based while 102 is Partial Economic Area based (multi-county).

This auction, I can only image how much Verizon and AT&T are spending.

2 hours ago, derrph said:

I just hope we never get to this point if a merger happens: AT&T to begin upgrading existing LTE phones to ‘5G E’

Given Neville's recent Blog Post, it doesn't seem likely, but companies can change over time....

https://twitter.com/NevilleRay/status/1075754021560901633

https://twitter.com/NevilleRay/status/1076284138842349568

T-Mobile did it:

This isn’t the first time that service providers have manipulated customers in this manner. T-Mobile and AT&T both labeled HSPA+ as 4G and Sprint tried to convince the world that its WiMax network was just as good as LTE.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Sprint tried to convince the world that its WiMax network was just as good as LTE.

I was getting 14Mbps downloads with WiMAX which was about equal to most LTE at the time.  Dramatic improvement over 3G.  You can argue it was a waste of money because it was an evolutionary dead-end, but the licenses were use it or lose it.  It was the last major site expansion for Sprint.  You could also talk and use data at the same time (WiMAX and Wi-Fi shared the same circuitry, 3G was separate).  My current phone is capable, but has not seen VoLTE yet. lol.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, derrph said:

A lot of the 28mm and 39mm was already purchased, at least for the major cities:

- Verizon bought Straight Path Wireless for $3.1 Billion: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/11/15621814/verizon-buys-5g-wireless-spectrum-straight-path

- Verizon bought XO for $1.8 Billion for fiber network and Nextlink Wirlesses 28mm specturm  https://seekingalpha.com/news/3239578-verizon-closes-1_8b-buyout-xo-fiber-business

- AT&T bought licenses from Fibertower for $207 million, some of which had to be returned to the FCC: https://about.att.com/story/att_completes_acquisition_of_fibertower_corporation.html

T-Mobile, 28mm, price unknown: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-buys-1150-mhz-millimeter-wave-spectrum-covering-ohio-for-5g

Here are the totals per carrier by band: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-at-t-t-mobile-and-dish-mmmwave-licensed-pops  The FCC record type for the new 28mm and 39MM combined is UU (28mm legacy is LD).

This gives a totally different picture than before.  In Ohio metros, T-Mobile has all the 24mm UU which is 850MHz, Verizon and AT&T have the 39mm UU but it is interspersed.  Verizon has 50+250+50+250, AT&T has 100+50+50+100+50+50 in Franklin county Ohio.  Eventually they will need to swap spectrum to make it more contiguous.  Plus they all may have to start building right away.

What was left for the 28mm auction (24mm is the one to watch): https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/editor-s-corner-why-28-ghz-spectrum-auction-only-covers-23-7-u-s-population