Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

9 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Here comes the anti merger coalition..

https://www.4competition.org/about/

C spire is probably the only one who has legitimate concerns (and probably quite a few other regional carriers) about decreased competition leading to increased roaming rates.

Dish? They have no leg to stand on. They need to get off their behind and actually deploy their spectrum. They might even get some Sprint network elements at a discounted price if the merger goes through.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Dish? They have no leg to stand on. They need to get off their behind and actually deploy their spectrum. They might even get some Sprint network elements at a discounted price if the merger goes through.

I agree that Dish really needs to stay away from any real wireless discussions. 

I still do not get how they have effectively duped the government into letting them horde all that spectrum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

I still do not get how they have effectively duped the government into letting them horde all that spectrum.

They have not. The government is on their behinds and may soon start repossessing some of that spectrum.

Dish actually wanted to acquire Clearwire and then Sprint but were rebuffed but managed to make it more expensive for Sprint to acquire Clearwire and then for Softbank to acquire Sprint. Then when that failed, they drove the price for AWS-3 spectrum to stratospheric heights. They made quite a few enemies on the way. They bet on spectrum shortage and speculated that it will be lucrative. They were wrong particularly with the 3.5GHz spectrum and then the C-Band spectrum being made available. They oppose the merger because they think T-Mobile will acquire them for their mid band spectrum if the merger does not go through. T-Mobile has no intention of doing anything of the sort and will try to acquire 3.5GHz and C-Band spectrum should the merger fail.

Edited by bigsnake49

They have not. The government is on their behinds and may soon start repossessing some o that spectrum.

Dish is well in the process of rolling out the spectrum .. in the last week many people report seeing tons of dish network wireless tower permits on their local tower pages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I don't see why not if they have an agreement with Sprint.

This all depends on what the FCC decides to do with 2.5GHz (Band 41).  Currently these groups exist because 5% iirc is to be held back when 2.5 EDS is leased to a commercial firm.  Some of the new proposals will allow the EDS licenses to be sold (which may interest Verizon) which would end this practice.  This reexamination of 2.5 by the FCC is supposed to be occurring about now.    It would also allow the 2.5 that is not licensed to be given away to the non-profits/tribes or sold.  Many of the places that only have CA is because the FCC has not put more 2.5 on the market.  Of course the FCC may choose to delay this until after this merger question is decided.

8 minutes ago, tyroned3222 said:

Dish is well in the process of rolling out the spectrum .. in the last week many people report seeing tons of dish network wireless tower permits on their local tower pages

Yup! saw they signed a big deal with Ericsson for deployment. It all seems "legit" but I think it's mostly posturing and once again meeting minimum requirements.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

This all depends on what the FCC decides to do with 2.5GHz (Band 41).  Currently these groups exist because 5% iirc is to be held back when 2.5 EDS is leased to a commercial firm.  Some of the new proposals will allow the EDS licenses to be sold (which may interest Verizon) which would end this practice.  This reexamination of 2.5 by the FCC is supposed to be occurring about now.    It would also allow the 2.5 that is not licensed to be given away to the non-profits/tribes or sold.  Many of the places that only have CA is because the FCC has not put more 2.5 on the market.  Of course the FCC may choose to delay this until after this merger question is decided.

The EBS spectrum is a big boondoggle. In the 70s and 80s it was actually used for remote learning by actual educational institutions. For example in the Dallas area there were quite a few educational institutions that banded together and offered classes to students of other institutions and private companies via TV broadcasting. I remember attending couple of those classes. The majority of educational institutions and non-profits never implemented anything and have been squatting on the spectrum for 40-50 years. Others were obsoleted by the advent of the web. They need to clean up the EBS spectrum pronto. There is no reason for Sprint to be paying the Catholic Church billions of $$$ to lease the spectrum. I'd rather they paid the government.

Edited by bigsnake49

8 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

Government doesn't care who is bidding so long as they pay.  If you don't meet build out deadlines then they get it back.  Dish isn't the only one to do this.  It is part of the agreement so it is expected to happen.  Shoot, Dish even paid a premium to the FCC for PCS H-Block to extended AWS4 buildout deadlines.  

Most of the spectrum they have really that is due soon for deployments is AWS4.  We can actually thank dish for making this cellular spectrum.  They got it on the cheap, originally as satellite spectrum.  They asked FCC if it can be used for cellular and the FCC put buildout deadlines on it.  

Dish clearly didn't want to build a network.  They wanted to buy one or partner with one.  Didn't work, so now they build. 

Edited by red_dog007

Me too, I wonder if sprint would have even raised capex if it wasn’t for a possible merger ..

I'm still interested in seeing if this merger gets cleared I'm not saying yes it's going to happen no it's not going to happen I just leave the odds at 50-50.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm still interested in seeing if this merger gets cleared I'm not saying yes it's going to happen no it's not going to happen I just leave the odds at 50-50.

Yup, ether way the sprint customer is going to get a better network .. merger or not .. carry the same amount of capex into fiscal 19 should work wonders for sprint and might actual show native coverage expansion .

Sprint has 4 years of T-mobile roaming and can close the gap in the 4 years it took tmo 5

Yup, ether way the sprint customer is going to get a better network .. merger or not .. carry the same amount of capex into fiscal 19 should work wonders for sprint and might actual show native coverage expansion .
Sprint has 4 years of T-mobile roaming and can close the gap in the 4 years it took tmo 5

I'm still waiting to see whether spring falls through with the promise of expanding coverage. I've gotten to the point where I will only believe it when I see it. So when I start seeing full LTE service with Sprint at my parents place which gets pretty much Verizon roaming and only one bar of 1 x then I will believe Sprint.

I'm still waiting to see whether spring falls through with the promise of expanding coverage. I've gotten to the point where I will only believe it when I see it. So when I start seeing full LTE service with Sprint at my parents place which gets pretty much Verizon roaming and only one bar of 1 x then I will believe Sprint.

Well for now if tmo has lte service there you would connect to that

Well for now if tmo has lte service there you would connect to that

Ironically enough I have T-Mobile. but now TMobile is also under investigation as well as Verizon for lying about coverage.

Ya, they both will claim expected coverage on most of these ..

But you're so required to be honest about the coverage not lie about it. The fact they took Federal money and then lied about their coverage they are obviously going to be investigated. That's the government's right.

How does the merger get to a monopoly? There woukd still be three players?  
You have three main players that in the market space would stifle innovation for 1. And then you would have higher prices among the three carriers and then also smaller competitor carriers will be charged higher roaming rates an access to networking equipment for their Network gear would be more expensive. and then there's even a possibility the chips going inside the phones would be more expensive there for making it prohibitively expensive all around. And then on top of that those are on prepaid would have higher prices too. Its overall more expensive and not very good for the cellular industry here in the United States. You need one extra carrier for competition in order to keep prices low and innovation going.

Interesting... in the following CNN link, T Mobile Indicated the Justice Dept, Homeland Security and Defense Dept all withdrew a request for a merger delay.... "Cleared key hurdles"...   I like the video feed, if you can see it... with Marcelo and John.    John is always the key spokesperson.    Marcelo is kinda just in the background mostly...

Could this mean that the merger is very quickly drawing to a close?    What's your take?   How soon do you think this can this happen?

T-Mobile and Sprint just cleared key hurdles to their huge merger  

Edited by dro1984
fix spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Interesting... in the following CNN link, T Mobile Indicated the Justice Dept, Homeland Security and Defense Dept all withdrew a request for a merger delay.... "Cleared key hurdles"...   I like the video feed, if you can see it... with Marcelo and John.    John is always the key spokesperson.    Marcelo is kinda just in the background mostly...

Could this mean that the merger is very quickly drawing to a close?    What's your take?   How soon do you think this can this happen?

T-Mobile and Sprint just cleared key hurdles to their huge merger  

It's basically up to the FCC now. I expect it to be approved in the first Quarter of 2019 and close soon thereafter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

It's basically up to the FCC now. I expect it to be approved in the first Quarter of 2019 and close soon thereafter.

I am hoping for an early gift.