Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

With the current administration, all you need is a nice bribe, but I don't want to get political on this forum.

Ya, it’s just seems like everything discussed behind closed doors is coming to light .. TMO: we will spend big in the 600mhz auction dont worry. sprint: don’t worry we will raise our capex And have all of our sites ready with band 41 / some mimo equipment.. so all you gotta do is move the equipment to your sites... Tmo/Sprint: we will both participate in the mmwave auction it’s a win win .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nexgencpu said:

Don't know if people are aware, and surprised no one has mentioned, it looks like Sprint participated in the millimeter wave auctions, what looks to be under a different name according to the CFO. This could work both ways whether they go at it alone or together with TMobile, who does indeed need to expand on their own mwave portfolio.

Are the winnings public yet?

I’m pro merger here.

BUT

I find it extremely odd how they - especially Sprint. Is so open to talking about how they appear to have discussed this with a coordinated effort with TMO. Isn’t that “illegal “ ?

• Like 2

So, TMobile has stated that if the merger goes through, you'll be able to go into a Sprint store but be put on TMobile's network.

What if you already have a plan on Sprint.  Would I be able to get say a OnePlus 6T, activate it on my account and it be on TMobile's network?

On 12/14/2018 at 8:58 PM, red_dog007 said:

So, TMobile has stated that if the merger goes through, you'll be able to go into a Sprint store but be put on TMobile's network.

What if you already have a plan on Sprint.  Would I be able to get say a OnePlus 6T, activate it on my account and it be on TMobile's network?

Since people often don't like change, I could see a mad rush once the merger is approved but before it takes effect.  The first of three hurdles has been jumped (national security demand that parent firms get rid of Huawei has reportedly been accepted).  DOJ and FCC remain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Johnner1999 said:

I assume the FCC and DOJ were waiting on this security sign off. DOJ will follow and then the FCC ...

The FCC historically takes the longest.  Rules on coverage retention, transition of customer phones, area where spectrum must be divested are all to be expected.  It could be turned over to an administrative law judge and possibly take a year based on Shentel-nTelos merger.  I would expect DOJ will add something for the MVNOs.  I expect Dish to be ignored.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

You probably will have to create a new account on T-Mobile with just one phone until they merge the two billing systems.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:07 AM, Johnner1999 said:

I’m pro merger here.

BUT

I find it extremely odd how they - especially Sprint. Is so open to talking about how they appear to have discussed this with a coordinated effort with TMO. Isn’t that “illegal “ ?

Well you don't want to do anything that if the merger goes through, it becomes a stranded asset.

The FCC historically takes the longest.  Rules on coverage retention, transition of customer phones, area where spectrum must be divested are all to be expected.  It could be turned over to an administrative law judge and possibly take a year based on Shentel-nTelos merger.  I would expect DOJ will add something for the MVNOs.  I expect Dish to be ignored.

Any divesture makes this merger pointless to me.. both companies are merging to become stronger to compete with att and Verizon not to become weaker in the process

Any divesture makes this merger pointless to me.. both companies are merging to become stronger to compete with att and Verizon not to become weaker in the process

It is pointless to have give up some of Sprints b25/26. I think for T-Mobile they don’t care because Sprints 2.5 is a MAJOR part of their 5G future. With what they(T-Mobile) has now, it’s going to take them only so far in the 5G world. Sprint on the other hand had limitless possibilities with their 2.5 and could eclipse T-Mobile in 5G and that’s something T-Mobile can’t have happen.

Sprint is not allowed to come back from the dead lol.

44 minutes ago, derrph said:

It is pointless to have give up some of Sprints b25/26. I think for T-Mobile they don’t care because Sprints 2.5 is a MAJOR part of their 5G future. With what they(T-Mobile) has now, it’s going to take them only so far in the 5G world. Sprint on the other hand had limitless possibilities with their 2.5 and could eclipse T-Mobile in 5G and that’s something T-Mobile can’t have happen.

Sprint is not allowed to come back from the dead lol.

I foresee no spectrum divestitures. Other conditions maybe imposed such as: 

1. Any Sprint MVNO is automatically grandfathered in.

2. Any Sprint authorized dealer becomes a New T-Mobile authorized dealer.

3. Any roaming deals of CCA  members with Sprint will be grandfathered in.

4. Any deals with rural wireless companies to use Sprint spectrum and in turn provide cell service to Sprint for free will be grandfathered in.

5. The combined company shall expend their coverage to match Verizon's or AT&T's coverage within 5 years.

6. There shall be no loss of coverage resulting from this merger

7. Companies shall allow current subscribers to keep their phones and plans for at least 2 years or provide incentives to current subscribers to move to new plans and phones.

7 hours ago, tyroned3222 said:

There will be terms and conditions from the DOJ and FCC.  The question for T-Mobile will be if the deal is still worth it.

• Like 1

There will be terms and conditions from the DOJ and FCC.  The question for T-Mobile will be if the deal is still worth it.
I want to see what happens I don't want a monopoly.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

. Any deals with rural wireless companies to use Sprint spectrum and in turn provide cell service to Sprint for free will be grandfathered in.

In your opinion, would this include Mobile Beacon and Mobile Citizen? Might they get access to all the T-Mobile bands? 

6 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I foresee no spectrum divestitures. Other conditions maybe imposed such as: 

5. The combined company shall expend their coverage to match Verizon's or AT&T's coverage within 5 years.

6. There shall be no loss of coverage resulting from this merger

These two would never be imposed conditions. They're too open to interpretation to enforce. As it stands T-Mobile already tries to act like they're coverage is as "good" as Verizon when we all know that to not be the case.

• Like 3

Here comes the anti merger coalition..
https://www.4competition.org/about/
C spire is probably the only one who has legitimate concerns (and probably quite a few other regional carriers) about decreased competition leading to increased roaming rates.
I really don't have anything else to say about this merger at this point. But I can definitely relate to c-spire though in terms of what's going to happen to Sprint CDMA. Other than that no further comments.

I really don't have anything else to say about this merger at this point. But I can definitely relate to c-spire though in terms of what's going to happen to Sprint CDMA. Other than that no further comments.

Me too, I wonder if sprint would have even raised capex if it wasn’t for a possible merger ..

14 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

These two would never be imposed conditions. They're too open to interpretation to enforce. As it stands T-Mobile already tries to act like they're coverage is as "good" as Verizon when we all know that to not be the case.

Well, I was thinking of measuring coverage in terms of square miles and not POPS covered. BTW, both Verizon and T-Mobile were caught exaggerating their coverage according to the RWA.

• Like 1