Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

If this merger goes through....... The bottom line this transaction is pretty much a done deal and the only ones that will be barking are some of the state's attorney generals. I am glad this thing will be done so we once and for all see the Global Crossing John Legere in full display 6 months after the merger is completed. Oh, I am not sure why most of those Sprint employees at Overland Park still around not typing their resume because Legere and his gang eventually will shut down that campus. 

Do you think that having to pay rent, local taxes for two campus is a great business decision... I think not.  The Overland Park campus will be sold completely to that startup healthcare company that is making the rumors. Sprint network team will be dismissed once the network integration is completed. I am sure those Tmobile network people don't think highly of the Sprint ones. The  Tmobile gang is now saying all the right things to please the Feds and to make feel comfortable Sprint workforce, but once everything is official they will hand pink sleeves left and right.

• Like 2

If this merger goes through....... The bottom line this transaction is pretty much a done deal and the only ones that will be barking are some of the state's attorney generals. I am glad this thing will be done so we once and for all see the Global Crossing John Legere in full display 6 months after the merger is completed. Oh, I am not sure why most of those Sprint employees at Overland Park still around not typing their resume because Legere and his gang eventually will shut down that campus. 
Do you think that having to pay rent, local taxes for two campus is a great business decision... I think not.  The Overland Park campus will be sold completely to that startup healthcare company that is making the rumors. Sprint network team will be dismissed once the network integration is completed. I am sure those Tmobile network people don't think highly of the Sprint ones. The  Tmobile gang is now saying all the right things to please the Feds and to make feel comfortable Sprint workforce, but once everything is official they will hand pink sleeves left and right.

I agree with everything you said.

2 hours ago, NYC126 said:

Oh, I am not sure why most of those Sprint employees at Overland Park still around not typing their resume because Legere and his gang eventually will shut down that campus. 

Do you think that having to pay rent, local taxes for two campus is a great business decision... I think not.  The Overland Park campus will be sold completely to that startup healthcare company that is making the rumors. Sprint network team will be dismissed once the network integration is completed. I am sure those Tmobile network people don't think highly of the Sprint ones.

I think the fate of the Sprint workers will depend on how the merger goes.  If the new T-Mobile Merger goes smoothly and they are able to compete with the duo, then most of the Sprint employees will be needed in some fashion, especially the network guys in the markets.  The toughest thing for many Sprint employees will be getting used to a firm with cash flow.  Areas that are not running smoothly or support departments are most at risk - web development, accounting, finance, etc.  Seattle is an expensive city, so the Sprint workers do have that going for them.

Personally I would sell my house and rent, assuming if the worst happens (aka Sprint-Nextel merger) they are gone.  House values would then decline.  That way you could also move to Seattle or elsewhere if needed as well.  Of course as people grow older they have more local obligations, hence they may feel their best option is to keep the ship afloat and hope for a merciful captain.  Besides it is not a done deal yet.  A single 3am tweet could sink it.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2018 at 5:49 PM, dkyeager said:

I think the fate of the Sprint workers will depend on how the merger goes.  If the new T-Mobile Merger goes smoothly and they are able to compete with the duo, then most of the Sprint employees will be needed in some fashion, especially the network guys in the markets. 

I don't know about that... T-Mobile is already known for being more efficient with their network teams with fewer people than Sprint. If you are on a field network team for Sprint, odds are T-Mobile already has their own team in the same area. The one thing that the network guys may have going for them is the combined company is planning on spending a lot of capex on the network early on. But fundamentally whether or not you are a network team member, an accountant, a call center worker, etc. Odds are there is a counterpart at T-Mobile; and odds are after a year or so the work-load in nearly every case is going to be a lot closer to that of either company alone than something that needs the majority of employees from both companies retained.

• Like 2

I don't know about that... T-Mobile is already known for being more efficient with their network teams with fewer people than Sprint. If you are on a field network team for Sprint, odds are T-Mobile already has their own team in the same area. The one thing that the network guys may have going for them is the combined company is planning on spending a lot of capex on the network early on. But fundamentally whether or not you are a network team member, an accountant, a call center worker, etc. Odds are there is a counterpart at T-Mobile; and odds are after a year or so the work-load in nearly every case is going to be a lot closer to that of either company alone than something that needs the majority of employees from both companies retained.
Sprint in some areas lacks efficiency. As you just said T-Mobile's much more efficient. Hell in my area was Sprint once I go to my parents place there's an LTE coverage hole. And T-Mobile has 4x4 mimo setup so I get better service at my parents place. Sprint is the only carrier in the area that roams.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 1:06 PM, Mr.Nuke said:

I don't know about that... after a year or so the work-load in nearly every case is going to be a lot closer to that of either company alone than something that needs the majority of employees from both companies retained.

T-Mobile has stated they believe it will take three years to combine both networks.  Then you have the task of competing with the duo, which will require more sites to provide new or better coverage and certainly more bands at each site, plus conversion of various bands to 5g.  The duo will not stand still.  The new T-Mobile will have to hit a moving target.

Middle management is of course always a target, which is an area I should have mentioned above.  The key determinate for many Sprint employees is whether they will successfully adopt to the new firm.

Many contractors I have talked to prefer Sprint over T-Mobile.  They say Sprint gives details, lets them do their jobs and move to the next site.  T-Mobile tends to ship them boxes of parts and let them figure it out.  Then they stay until the integrator is satisfied, often up in the tower for hours during nasty weather.  I have heard this from many contractors in recent months.  Most of the T-Mobile contractors I have met seem disgruntled.  There have been a few happy ones.   Hopefully they do actually pick the best ideas from both companies, which may hold if the merger goes well.  Sprint employees will get the ax if the merger starts going badly.

Sprint efficiency would have been better if they did not always have to stop and restart projects due to limited cash flow and changing management priorities.

• Like 4

On 10/25/2018 at 1:11 PM, NYC126 said:

The cost of living where T-Mobile is in the PNW is a LOT higher than KS. T-Mobile will keep KS because they can pay people less.

The T-Mobile campus in Bellevue is FULL.

The Overland park buildings are sold and leased back. They mentioned that in the KS news.

On 10/30/2018 at 9:42 PM, dkyeager said:

T-Mobile has stated they believe it will take three years to combine both networks.  Then you have the task of competing with the duo, which will require more sites to provide new or better coverage and certainly more bands at each site, plus conversion of various bands to 5g.  The duo will not stand still.  The new T-Mobile will have to hit a moving target.

T-Mobile has indeed said it will take 3 years to combine both networks. I want to say they said it was going to take 2 years to integrate Metro PCS and they reached that goal ahead of time. Within 6 weeks of the merger closing they were already migrating customers over to their HSPA+ and LTE networks via new and BYOD devices.

Obviously the Sprint integration is going to be different for a number of reasons. That said when they say 3 years, I take that 3 years to have everyone completely moved over. I wouldn't be surprised if very early on in year 2 if "Sprint"s network isn't basically a thinned out 1x protection network for non VoLTE device stragglers. Assuming Sprint gets VoLTE going widespread (or T-Mobile has an implementation plan in Sprint's absence), they've got a lot of options for integrating Sprint customers at various paces. I find it hard to believe they'll run redundant sites though much less redundant networks a second longer than they need to. They've got a $$$ incentive to get Sprint customers onto their network as quickly as their network can handle it without disrupting their existing customers.

But to circle back, so yeah they're going to add 10,000 sites and get rid of 35,000 redundant sites (presumably mostly Sprint sites given which team is calling the shots). That doesn't justify keeping two entirely separate network teams and keeping everyone of the employees on them. Even if you do that the workload is going to diminish fairly quickly once they get into it. Like any merger, despite what they're saying publicly here, there are going to be reductions in workforce. This is flat out one of the financial justifications for companies merging. In an ideal world you keep the best from both be it a network engineer to a retail manager. We'll see what happens.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr.Nuke said:

That doesn't justify keeping two entirely separate network teams and keeping everyone of the employees on them.

I would combine them as soon as possible. You don't want one group basically hoping for the old system to survive as long as possible (iDen, WiMAX).  It will prove to be a lot more difficult than people think for Sprint workers to get used to having cash flow.  For engineers and others, any one of your ideas could then be accepted and you would have to implement it -- so they all better be good.  No management changing their mind to save you from bad project planning. Nor any rest breaks due to cash flow issues. Plus all of the other cultural changes that may drive people to leave or be removed.  For those who stay there will be lots of additional work as previously stated above. T-Mobile is very thin on some areas of its coverage map and will need to both expand and fill-in.  Otherwise they could soon be overwhelmed by  people expecting their network to be on par with the duo. Plus, it would not surprise me if Masa puts in some extra cash for more shares (assuming it is allowed).

• Like 2

I dont know what they mean exactly. The networks have already been combined in project fi. A great deal of both subscriber bases have phones that can use either spectrum. From the end user point of view I dont see what would take three years. 

• Like 2

Considering T-MOBILE has brought up their 600mhz network to huge proportion—in less than a year. And was able to get the majority of new phones to support it as well. I’d say TMO and that evil Ray does over deliver.

But I agree that combining both TMO and Sprint is a huge undertaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I dont know what they mean exactly. The networks have already been combined in project fi. A great deal of both subscriber bases have phones that can use either spectrum. From the end user point of view I dont see what would take three years. 

Moving the equipment over to tmo sites and decommissioning sprint towers..your not going to pay 2 separate tower leases just because you can creat a project FI like network... so tmo users will have to wait until sprints equipment is fully implemented on tmo towers.. and the sprint towers
That tmo will keep gotta wait until tmo puts their equipment on it

On 11/6/2018 at 1:22 PM, tyroned3222 said:

Moving the equipment over to tmo sites and decommissioning sprint towers..your not going to pay 2 separate tower leases just because you can creat a project FI like network... so tmo users will have to wait until sprints equipment is fully implemented on tmo towers.. and the sprint towers
That tmo will keep gotta wait until tmo puts their equipment on it

Or Tmo users can get a phone that supports Sprint frequencies and they can roam on Sprint's network from the beginning. Don't need to wait for the network to be fully integrated. Now the integrated network experience will be much more seamless. From what T-Mobile said, Sprint customers will be transitioned over to the midband frequencies and band 41 will be used for 5G. The transition to 5G will start on the unused band 41 spectrum early next year.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Or Tmo users can get a phone that supports Sprint frequencies and they can roam on Sprint's network from the beginning. Don't need to wait for the network to be fully integrated. Now the integrated network experience will be much more seamless. From what T-Mobile said, Sprint customers will be transitioned over to the midband frequencies and band 41 will be used for 5G. The transition to 5G will start on the unused band 41 spectrum early next year.

As long as I'm able to get T-Mobile's lower bands, I'm absolutely fine giving up B41, as my phone supports everything but B66 and B71. Particularly if swapping in 5G on B41 gets the home braodband competitor online.

28 minutes ago, iansltx said:

As long as I'm able to get T-Mobile's lower bands, I'm absolutely fine giving up B41, as my phone supports everything but B66 and B71. Particularly if swapping in 5G on B41 gets the home braodband competitor online.

I have the Galaxy Note 9. So if Sprint is acquired by T-Mobile they will have all the necessary frequencies to create one heck of a network.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

There are many phones out there that have all of the necessary bands to roam on either network.  They range from inexpensive phones like my moto E series up to my lg7.

My Moto G5 Plus lacks band 71.

1 hour ago, belusnecropolis said:

E5 + is checking in. ~200 bux out the door for a great functional phone and cat 6, band 71 capable.

According to Motorola's website:

4G: TDD LTE band 38/41(Full) FDD LTE band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/14/17/25/26/29/30/66

3G: WCDMA band 1/2/4/5/8

2G: GSM band 2/3/5/8 CDMA BC0/BC1/BC10††

It may depend on the model.  I have two E5 Play phones:

Moto E5 Play - T-Mo: CDMA 0/1/10; GSM 1800/900/850/1900; WCDMA 1/2/4/5/8; LTE 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/25/26/38/41/66/71
Moto E5 Play - Unlocked (used for AT&T): No CDMA; GSM 1800/900/850/1900; WCDMA 1/2/4/5/8; LTE 1/2/3/4/5/8/12/14/17/30/66

I'm trying to get a hold of additional T-Mo models that are carrier unlocked so I can use them on US Cellular and Verizon.

- Trip

3 hours ago, Trip said:

It may depend on the model.  I have two E5 Play phones:

Moto E5 Play - T-Mo: CDMA 0/1/10; GSM 1800/900/850/1900; WCDMA 1/2/4/5/8; LTE 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/25/26/38/41/66/71
Moto E5 Play - Unlocked (used for AT&T): No CDMA; GSM 1800/900/850/1900; WCDMA 1/2/4/5/8; LTE 1/2/3/4/5/8/12/14/17/30/66

I'm trying to get a hold of additional T-Mo models that are carrier unlocked so I can use them on US Cellular and Verizon.

- Trip

This aggravates the crap out of me.  If you are going to build d phone with band 71, sell it to everyone.