Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

5 hours ago, Thomas L. said:

So it seems to be that T-Mobile roaming has been primarily rolled out in areas where VoLTE is launching. Has anyone seen it in none VoLTE areas? I had an interesting experience in the LA Metro market - my phone locked onto T-Mobile roaming ("Clearwire Band 4") and would not let go even when I cycled airplane mode in an area with Sprint. I thought that was interesting - the roaming agreement must be extremely favorable to Sprint/have basically no cost to them.

No signs of it here.

I roamed on T-Mobile for a bit in the outskirts of the Pittsburgh market (may have technically been Western PA market) for probably 20 minutes. Was a big dead spot for Sprint, but the T-Mobile coverage was solid.52d1a575cb8c8afe951f7fdd4fff6a1a.jpgd6f205359116789f43f72aa77209af46.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

They are turning up the bandwidth here. L850 on every site, they added band 2 6 months ago at 5MHz. Just for kicks Saturday I checked the site in town. It is at 10MHz and HSPA was no show until I approached the next macro. 

Screenshot_20180908-155942.png

Where is this?

Has anyone experienced unusual times shifts on your phone while roaming on T-Mobile? My dad is in western Kansas right now and his phone is showing UTC instead of central time. I'm not sure who he is roaming on, he's driving and not able to tell me. Normally one would roam on Nextech there, but I'm not sure if the T-Mobile deal might supersede that.

1 hour ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Has anyone experienced unusual times shifts on your phone while roaming on T-Mobile? My dad is in western Kansas right now and his phone is showing UTC instead of central time. I'm not sure who he is roaming on, he's driving and not able to tell me. Normally one would roam on Nextech there, but I'm not sure if the T-Mobile deal might supersede that.

Yes.  When Tmo first rolled out coverage in South Dakota, we had this problem on several sites.  I have also had this issue on Project Fi on some Tmo sites.

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Time only resets with CDMA iirc.  Thus if you are only on LTE roaming, time will drift.

• Like 1

Hmm.... not certain what this means.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/11/fcc-says-it-is-pausing-180-day-shot-clock-on-its-review-of-a-merger-between-t-mobile-and-sprint.html

The Federal Communications Commission needs more time to review the proposed Sprint-T-Mobile deal, the agency said in a letter to the companies Tuesday.

Hmm.... not certain what this means.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/11/fcc-says-it-is-pausing-180-day-shot-clock-on-its-review-of-a-merger-between-t-mobile-and-sprint.html
The Federal Communications Commission needs more time to review the proposed Sprint-T-Mobile deal, the agency said in a letter to the companies Tuesday.

The 180 day transaction clock has officially been paused.. FCC need more time to review.. so the initial time frame Q3 2019 when the deal was supposed to closed could be pushed back depending how long the FCC needs

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This was to expected though. With virtually every big merger the FCC does this. I'm sure Sprint and T-Mobile already accounted for this. 
So the merger may not be approved until 2020?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, danlodish345 said:

So the merger may not be approved until 2020?

I’d it goes into 2020, who will really care at that point besides Sprint and T-Mobile. Both their networks will be pretty built out. I would assume at that time Sprint will have a pretty strong 5G network....if they keep investing their 6b per year. 

If Sprint can keep that up they will definitely have a very very dense and expensive 5th generation Network. TMobile likes to brag way too much as I would say with them I'll believe it when I see it.

I’d it goes into 2020, who will really care at that point besides Sprint and T-Mobile. Both their networks will be pretty built out. I would assume at that time Sprint will have a pretty strong 5G network....if they keep investing their 6b per year. 

4 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

If Sprint can keep that up they will definitely have a very very dense and expensive 5th generation Network. TMobile likes to brag way too much as I would say with them I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree and Sprint could attract just on Speed alone (just like what T-Mobile does). 5G is there chance to take over.  I will say that a lot of what T-Mobile is promising is riding on getting that 2.5. Will they be fine without it? Yes. But it’s going to be harder for them somewhat. This layer 3 is suppose to be via a cellular connection. That 2.5 will help with congestion. Without it...well it’s going to slow things down kinda especially since they are promising 4K resolution. 

Well I can definitely tell you that over here TMobile only has 10 megahertz of band 71 so 5th generation Network on that spectral band that they have here is going to be laughable. Unless they repurpose the rest of their 3-g and 2G network spectral assets v g isn't going to be possible unless they do some serious densification here. Where I live if you go off the main road all the carriers including TMobile have densification issues.

I agree and Sprint could attract just on Speed alone (just like what T-Mobile does). 5G is there chance to take over.  I will say that a lot of what T-Mobile is promising is riding on getting that 2.5. Will they be fine without it? Yes. But it’s going to be harder for them somewhat. This layer 3 is suppose to be via a cellular connection. That 2.5 will help with congestion. Without it...well it’s going to slow things down kinda especially since they are promising 4K resolution. 

1 minute ago, danlodish345 said:

Well I can definitely tell you that over here TMobile only has 10 megahertz of band 71 so 5th generation Network on that spectral band that they have here is going to be laughable. Unless they repurpose the rest of their 3-g and 2G network spectral assets v g isn't going to be possible unless they do some serious densification here. Where I live if you go off the main road all the carriers including TMobile have densification issues.

Yea that’s nothing. Any mmwave auctions they are really going to be spending money cause you’re playing with Verizon, AT&T and whoever else. They will jack the price out of their reach unless their parent company helps out which I can see happening.  Right now Sprint and AT&T are sitting pretty comfy with their spectrum for 5G.  Oh and that crap ton of mmwave Verizon has as well. 

the notion that Sprint can't fail that's a bit far fetched..I think they can fail. Without this merger do you guys truly believe Sprint will make it ?

It's just a bit hard to see the clear picture.. I think Sprint can compete on their own going into 5G, but it will lead to them raising prices also.. So, as much as it would be good for competition higher prices from all 4 carriers isn't good ether

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk