Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

8 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Does your phone allow SA NR? The n71 channel is likely smaller than the B2 channel, and if it's used much at all likely produces slower speeds. n41 may not support SA NR just yet in your area, it's still most useful when it has an anchor LTE band.

Yes my S20 FE does support SA.  The n71 is probably on a different tower that is farther away.  According to SCP, n71 has a weaker signal at my house than B2.

I think the band selector app is pretty interesting.  When combined with SCP, tower chasing should be fun.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

When you open the app, select "Launch Band Selection." That will open a menu that likely looks familar. Now, swipe from the left, or tap the menu bar at the top. Select "Band Selection" again. This will show you all of LTE and NR bands your phone is capable of receiving. Select the band(s) you want, then toggle "Selection" on the top right. Apologies if you already tried that, but it sounded like you only got to the first menu.

You can also access this menu via SignalCheck

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jeff68005 said:

Thanks - Galaxy S9 I tried it, but that app only gives me the setting I already am using.  Yes several choices in the app. but all roads lead to what I manually have done.  The band selector fails.

My Samsung A5 the app works better, but I have forgotten all the band details I learned when Sprint Tower chasing.

Please guide me to a band choice. I was looking at B26.  Please suggest a band that may be better.

Update-  Playing around, I got the Galaxy 9S to give me several band choice as the Ag does.  I am currently trying B66

yes - I now have those choices.  Signal Check shows what band I am using and a color strength indication.

Now I need an education which one to select.

1 hour ago, Grabber5.0 said:

Never having a Samsung phone before I never looked into that app. It's this one, right?

Screenshot_20210625-104458_Google Play Store.jpg

15 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

correct

Found on Google

One of the ways T-Mobile is rapidly deploying 5G is integrating mid-band 2.5 GHz spectrum from Sprint.
Frequencies that can provide 5G:
  • Band n71 (600 MHz)
  • Band n41 (2.5 GHz)
  • Band n260 (39 GHz)
  • Band n261 (28 GHz)

15 hours ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

Yes my S20 FE does support SA.  The n71 is probably on a different tower that is farther away.  According to SCP, n71 has a weaker signal at my house than B2.

I think the band selector app is pretty interesting.  When combined with SCP, tower chasing should be fun.

If n71 has weaker signal at your house than b2 then you are using intercell CA that tmobile quietly rollout. It takes n71 from towers that have it and aggregates it with towers that are within reach that doesn't have it. All for that 5G icon.

I have been playing with different bands via Samsung Band Selector and Speed Test.  Interesting results

Signal Check and LTE Discovery are interesting, but the above provide a combination that I understand better and can play with.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Terrell352 said:

If n71 has weaker signal at your house than b2 then you are using intercell CA that tmobile quietly rollout. It takes n71 from towers that have it and aggregates it with towers that are within reach that doesn't have it. All for that 5G icon.

Wouldn't that show up on SCP or something?

I just opened a letter from T-Mobile for Business.  It states the following:

Dear Valued Business Customer,

<SNIPPED out a bunch of junk>

As a valued customer, we are providing notice that T-Mobile is retiring Sprint's LTE network 
on June 30, 2022.  Select devices that are not compatible with the T-Mobile LTE or 5G network 
will need to be upgraded to continue getting service, including the ability to make 911 calls 
depending on your location.

Customers using a Sprint device that is compatible with the T-Mobile LTE or 5G network and 
who have already replaced their Sprint SIM card with a T-Mobile SIM card will not be 
affected.  No further action is required.

What this means for you:

The good news is most Sprint LTE and 5G devices are compatible with the T-Mobile LTE or 5G 
network and will continue to operate on T-Mobile's LTE and 5G networks after June 30, 2022 
if the Sprint SIM card is replaced with a T-Mobile SIM card and Voice over LTE (VoLTE) is 
enabled in device settings for voice calls (on applicable devices).

Between now and the time that the Sprint LTE network is fully decomissioned, capacity and 
coverage of the Sprint LTE network may change in certain areas.

We want our customers to experience the T-Mobile LTE and 5G network as quickly as possible,
and we are dedicated to making sure you are comfortable and ready for this transition.

Thank you for being a T-Mobile for Business Customer.

T-Mobile for Business

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jeff68005 said:

yes - I now have those choices.  Signal Check shows what band I am using and a color strength indication.

Now I need an education which one to select.

Depends on if you are wanting to use T-Mobile or "Sprint" bands. 

B25 - PCS on Sprint. Most channels have been narrowed to 5Mhz.
B26 - SMR on Sprint. 5Mhz channel.

B2 - PCS on T-Mobile - channel widths vary from 5Mhz to 20Mhz. May have multiple channels.
B4/66 - AWS on T-Mobile - channel widths vary from 5Mhz to 20Mhz. May have multiple channels.
B12 - 700 on T-Mobile - usually a 5Mhz channel. Some areas may have 10Mhz. 
B71 - 600 on T-Mobile - Usually a 5Mhz channel. Some areas may have 10Mhz.

B41 - this is a little tricky. T-Mobile has 2x20 channels on most sites with n41. But Sprint B41 is still on air as well.

n71 - 5G on 600, channel width vary from 10 to 20Mhz.
n41 - 5G on 2500, channel widths vary from 40 to 100Mhz.
n66 - 5G on AWS, coming soon. A few select locations on air, but not sure on channel widths.
n25 - 5G on PCS, coming soon.
n260/261 - 5G on mmWave, very select deployment in a few large cities. Channel usually 100Mhz.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

n71 - 5G on 600, channel width vary from 10 to 20Mhz.
n41 - 5G on 2500, channel widths vary from 40 to 100Mhz.
n66 - 5G on AWS, coming soon. A few select locations on air, but not sure on channel widths.
n25 - 5G on PCS, coming soon.
n260/261 - 5G on mmWave, very select deployment in a few large cities. Channel usually 100Mhz.

If you are still using a "Sprint" SIM but have native T-Mobile (TNA) you won't be able to select 5G bands independently, an LTE anchor band will be required (NSA-NR, non-stand alone). B2 and B66 are typically used as the anchor bands. 

25 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

That must be new and/or not deployed yet here. B71 and B41 only show as LTE and don't allow for 5G connections. 

B41+n41 and B71+n41 are both available in select markets. 

21 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

B41+n41 and B71+n41 are both available in select markets. 

I have seen B2+B66+B71 CA, but so far no NR combos that include B71 or B41.

I actually haven't seen any 5G in the last two days, not sure what's going on.

Just now, Dkoellerwx said:

NSA-NR doesn't report any data into SCP. You'd need to check the NR Engineering screen to see the NR PCI. 

I just forced B71 and it is on a different tower (farther away) than the B2 that I usually use.  Could they still use it just to force the "useless" 5G icon on my phone?

1 minute ago, IrwinshereAgain said:

I just forced B71 and it is on a different tower (farther away) than the B2 that I usually use.  Could they still use it just to force the "useless" 5G icon on my phone?

Connecting to an anchor LTE band will show the 5G icon on your phone. It sounds as though you were actually connected to 5G, though it may be slow due to the distance/signal strength. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

If you are still using a "Sprint" SIM but have native T-Mobile (TNA) you won't be able to select 5G bands independently, an LTE anchor band will be required (NSA-NR, non-stand alone). B2 and B66 are typically used as the anchor bands. 

When I switched to T-Mobile, the rep replaced my SIMS on both Samsung phones with new  T-Mobile SIMS.  I was told the Galaxy S9 does not have 5G ability, but the newly acquired A32 5G does.  It reports 5G..