Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

T-Mobile appears to be actively migrating Sprint "hold outs" over to the T-Mobile network (via TNA).

My wife has a Pixel 3a that we never bothered to add TNA to since it lacks 5G. Recieved an email stating: "Welcome to our combined bigger, better network...One or more lines on your account have recently joined our combined network and now you can enjoy an enhanced experience." Checked her phone and sure enough she is now on TMobile B2.

For obvious reasons, this is clearly a necessary step to ease the transition to the new network. 

10 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

T-Mobile appears to be actively migrating Sprint "hold outs" over to the T-Mobile network (via TNA).

My wife has a Pixel 3a that we never bothered to add TNA to since it lacks 5G. Recieved an email stating: "Welcome to our combined bigger, better network...One or more lines on your account have recently joined our combined network and now you can enjoy an enhanced experience." Checked her phone and sure enough she is now on TMobile B2.

For obvious reasons, this is clearly a necessary step to ease the transition to the new network. 

Interesting. We have a Pixel 5 on our account that Sprint told me was eligible for TNX, so they sent us a T-Mobile SIM Card. It's currently on an eSIM. I put in the SIM Card, selected the T-Mobile SIM Card on the device set up screen and tried to activate it. It threw an activation error. When I contacted Sprint again to ask about what happened, I was told that Pixel devices aren't eligible for TNX and that they get TNA. So I removed it and reactivated the eSIM.

I guess that's right? No one has ever confirmed this either way.

10 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Yeah my friend a long hold out who is resisting moving over to T-Mobile got a text saying he would now be experiencing a better experience, he hardly got 5G before and now gets it everywhere I do but obviously he gets no SA.

15 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

I got that email too but all of my lines have been TNA since last fall so I was a little confused.

16 hours ago, davidtm said:

I'm wondering if those of us in Shentel territory are behind the curve in this process, given the changes in that acquisition.

My impression has been that Sprint has been moving Shentel customers over all the same, regardless of how awful the T-Mobile experience is.

- Trip

I find it interesting that T-Mobile has yet to figure out why some cannot use international data on TNX.  Not everyone.  But probably more often than not TNX breaks it.

One data point might be those still on Open World having issues.

But a PSA, if you are traveling internationally in the future, at least keep the old Sprint SIM card if you need to switch back to it.

On 5/24/2021 at 10:36 AM, RedSpark said:

Interesting. We have a Pixel 5 on our account that Sprint told me was eligible for TNX, so they sent us a T-Mobile SIM Card. It's currently on an eSIM. I put in the SIM Card, selected the T-Mobile SIM Card on the device set up screen and tried to activate it. It threw an activation error. When I contacted Sprint again to ask about what happened, I was told that Pixel devices aren't eligible for TNX and that they get TNA. So I removed it and reactivated the eSIM.

I guess that's right? No one has ever confirmed this either way.

According to this post from Sprint's very-well-connected revik2, it should be about a month until Pixels 3 and up are supported for TNX.

Edited by comintel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jreuschl said:

But a PSA, if you are traveling internationally in the future, at least keep the old Sprint SIM card if you need to switch back to it.

Glad I kept the Sprint SIM. Iceland Friday to see a volcano... :) 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, comintel said:

Super.

I chatted with support just to make sure I would have coverage, the agent, unprompted, decided to send me T-Mobile SIMs for all my lines, even though three of them already have them. So... I guess I'll have extras? Ha. 

15 hours ago, comintel said:

According to this post from Sprint's very-well-connected revik2, it should be about a month until Pixels 3 and up are supported for TNX.

Good to know! Thanks. I guess I'll hold onto the T-Mobile SIM card until then.

I wish I could get some detailed signal information for my area...

Using a microtik LHG with a quectel EM160R modem...I was able to do an antenna scan and find Sprint signal...but it wants to latch on to "extended network" ...and doesn't report MCC/MNC of "Extended Network"...however the signal for Extended is around -68..but it also says "roaming not allowed" above the LTE interface. 

Won't show any of that when i put an AT&T or Firstnet SIM in the LHG...only when I use the Sprint SIM. (not TMO sim).

Will be posting various network updates from the four main Hawaiian islands over the next week or so.

For the Big Island, there are a couple cell sites on Kona airport property, including B2 15x15 and n71 20x20. Want to say B66 15x15 as well. That netted me 300+ Mbps despite no mid-band, as I was only competing for service with another couple flights.

At LAX they had 15x15 n71, 10x10 B71, 20x20 B66, 15x15 B2, 2CA TMo B41, 2CA Sprint B41. Spent a significant amount of time sitting on B41 while connecting there.

At AUS, it appears that the DAS there doesn't support more than 10 MHz channels for TMo; the EARFCN is the same as elsewhere in Austin, but it's 10 MHz wife rather than 20.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I finally got those gigabit peak speeds on n41 that T-Mobile always talks about.

89kLRXn.pngvGZREJC.png

Great speeds! Are n41 sites nearby also getting such backhaul and are you able to do a traceroute or something to find out if this is Lumen fiber?

2 hours ago, cooltech6597 said:

Great speeds! Are n41 sites nearby also getting such backhaul and are you able to do a traceroute or something to find out if this is Lumen fiber?

You won't be able to find the backhaul provider with a traceroute. Devices VPN through T-Mobile's core network, hopping through their routing interfaces and using their peering agreements. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cooltech6597 said:

Are n41 sites nearby also getting such backhaul

Nope. The only sites that get backhaul provisioned like this in NYC are sites that have LAA, mmWave, and Band/n41 like this site. If a site doesn't have that combo then speeds peak around 700Mbps. That isn't slow, but what a lot of people are realizing is that T-Mobile's network is only limited by backhaul at this point. 

Verizon has their own fiber network here and they provision lots of their sites, with multi-gigabit backhaul. When they turn on C-band here, they'll likely be able to match T-Mobile's performance despite having less spectrum on air. If T-Mobile wants to maintain their speed advantage then they're going to have to upgrade/scale backhaul to all of their sites to match Verizon at the very least.

• Like 4

How do you guys find out about upgrades and permits?   I've googled everything i can think of and only thing i get is  building inspections,  tower lease rates, Verizon stores  tower locations. etc.  but nothing on cell tower permits

6 minutes ago, DerekKY1980 said:

How do you guys find out about upgrades and permits?   I've googled everything i can think of and only thing i get is  building inspections,  tower lease rates, Verizon stores  tower locations. etc.  but nothing on cell tower permits

Good luck. Alabama doesn't have much to show either.

4 minutes ago, jonathanm1978 said:

Good luck. Alabama doesn't have much to show either.

That sucks.  I've been trying to find out cause where I live I don't have very good coverage without the signal booster T-Mo gave me (which also loses signal from time to time lol)  I thought we would have b71 by now  cause I was in stage 6 which cleared in Oct of 2019.  

Lately  my signal booster has been losing signal about ever 10 mins or so and other times i'd connect to Sprints b41 but with signal stregnth between -111 and -130   Tforce on Twitter say they aren't seeing any upgrades  planned for the next 6 months (tho that was over a month ago) so I was curious if there were any permits.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:32 AM, DerekKY1980 said:

It's super dependent on where you live. In NYC since most cell sites are on top of buildings, you can look at public building permits and usually they're listed as "-AL" which is an alteration permit. In the notes they'll usually talk about "telecommunications equipment". Very rarely is that actually carrier named though.

On the other hand for Greenville, NC where I visit family pretty often, you can search the public permit database for any carrier and find all permits for that specific carrier. Searching for T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T, or U.S. Cellular brings up permits for their sites and lists all changes that are going to be made to the site from backhaul upgrades to antennas changes and cabinet replacements.

• Like 2