Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, floorguy said:

On the way home along the I-15 corridor it parked me on att roaming... I couldn't get it to kick off.  I don't know if they are working on things out here or what...

But even my signal check has been bouncing in and out of signal. It won't let me load the screen recording of it though. So I don't know if it's the app or the signal

How were the speeds? :wall:

40 minutes ago, though said:

How were the speeds? :wall:

I didn't check was driving and the wife gets mad when I fiddle with the phone while driving haha.

But I could stream a pod cast and an mlb game. So ok enough for that

• Like 1

Just now, floorguy said:

I didn't check was driving and the wife gets mad when I fiddle with the phone while driving haha.

But I could stream a pod cast and an mlb game. So ok enough for that

MLB game (video too?) or just audio? I wonder if roaming "speeds" vary market to market even though you are still on the same provider (AT&T)?

51 minutes ago, though said:

MLB game (video too?) or just audio? I wonder if roaming "speeds" vary market to market even though you are still on the same provider (AT&T)?

Just audio.. I was driving remember lol

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Neville lays it all out. Amazing how T-Mobile was able to capitalize on Sprint's spectrum assets from the Merger.

Verizon has definitely been vocal about what they believe are the benefits of C-band vs BRS/EBS and I'm glad that Neville took the time to break down each of Verizon's talking points and provide an alternative analysis. I mentioned before that Verizon absolutely needs investors to be confident in their purchase of C-band spectrum because they spent a lot of money to catch up to T-Mobile. The best way to do that was to make BRS/EBS seems like worse spectrum.

T-Mobile putting this out just before Verizon's earnings is definitely a calculated decision to undermine the value of C-band and and attempt to inform Verizon's investors that even after spending all that money on spectrum, they will need to spend a lot more than they're letting on in order to be competitive with T-Mobile's mid-band network.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mdob07 said:

I'm pretty sure I found a Sprint keep site conversion in progress in Louisville. Sprint's equipment was always flush mounted to the tower structure and when I passed by today an actual rack has been recently installed. I didnt have time to get close enough to see if T-Mobile cabinets had been installed yet. 

I was able to swing by this site on my way home tonight, it has indeed been converted though no T-Mobile signal was live yet as far as I could tell. The only remaining Sprint signal was B25, it looks like they left the B25 RRU up there wired into the mid-band ports on the Commscope antenna. I only see one Nokia RRU behind the antenna, so I'm not sure if they are planning to leave it like that for awhile or come back and add the B2/B66 Nokia RRU soon. If its coming soon I'm surprised they didn't go ahead and mount it so all someone has to do is move some coax jumpers around to fully convert the site down the road. This is the first conversion I've found, I'll keep an eye on the other keep sites I've found and report in the market thread if I find any more.

7CPAIN1.jpg

0p50spS.png

2eMmObR.jpg

• Like 3

Trying to use Sprint/Tmobile with a 5g unlocked hotspot is really not easy. 

If you order a test-drive from Tmo, apparently they lock the SIM to that cheap hotspot and you can't move it... Not sure if it's done pre-shipping or if it's done upon turning it on and registering on the network...I will find that out in a couple of days... but it's not easy to test out the network with a hotspot device.

I guess I should note that the hotspot being used isn't whitelisted on ANY carrier  yet... but I don't think that should matter (It does work fine on AT&T and Firstnet and Tmobile business plan)....

17 hours ago, floorguy said:

Just audio.. I was driving remember lol

You can do most everything you would normally do on a mobile device other than video, downloading apps, podcasts, etc. or hotspot on a 64kb roaming connection so long as you only do one thing at a time and assuming that you do get to use all of the 64kb.  Streaming audio and navigation at the same time on that slow of a connection may not work well as an example.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, floorguy said:

On the way home along the I-15 corridor it parked me on att roaming... I couldn't get it to kick off.  I don't know if they are working on things out here or what...

But even my signal check has been bouncing in and out of signal. It won't let me load the screen recording of it though. So I don't know if it's the app or the signal

I had full bars but no LTE symbol. Could do anything. So maybe still work in progress.

Probably considered anecdotal but here is my recent experience with T-Mobile.
I'm on Magenta. I travel from time from northern Chicago to Dubuque,IA/Galena,IL via I-90 to Rockford and US-20 to Galena and then Dubuque..
10 Years I demoed T-Mobile and coverage pretty much ended west of Elgin (sad).
I had the opportunity to make it to Galena,IL last weekend and rode shotgun Saturday and ran SpeedTest many times on my iPhone 12 Pro Max.
What a difference 10 years and a Sprint merger makes.
I-90 to Elgin was pretty much solid NSA 5G and then a mix of 4G and NSA 5G to Rockford with the preponderance of it being 5G, Speed tests consistent 50/100 down and 10/20 up. 
From Rockford to west of Freeport was more LTE than 5G but the speeds were pretty much the same.
This pretty much matches what the T-Mobile coverage map says to expect.
From Lena, IL to Stockton on US-20 the coverage map shows Partner Coverage. This turned out to be Roaming on US Cellular some 5G but mostly LTE with speeds varying more towards 5/15 down and 1/3 up. Quite usable IMO.
Once west of Stockton on I-20 all the way to Galena was back on T-Mobile 5G (25%) and LTE (75%) with speeds a little slower than from Elgin to Rockford but not bad.
Even downtown Galena was stellar whereas even on Sprint it was nearly a Black Hole.
At no time did I loose coverage for the entire trip.
I'm a happy camper. :)
J  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, schmidtj said:

This turned out to be Roaming on US Cellular some 5G but mostly LTE with speeds varying more towards 5/15 down and 1/3 up. Quite usable IMO.

Boy do I miss US Cellular LTE roaming here in Nebraska. It's on AT&T 99% of the time now and speeds SUCK!

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 6:41 PM, mikejeep said:

From the official T-Mobile press release:

"The Great Free 5G Phone Upgrade and Great Unlimited Trade-Up start April 18 and last all year long."

Just remembered tonight to go back and check on this online via Sprint....still not offering the Trade-up deal there, so still guessing this may need to be a physical store trade-in scenario.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PythonFanPA said:

Just remembered tonight to go back and check on this online via Sprint....still not offering the Trade-up deal there, so still guessing this may need to be a physical store trade-in scenario.

I am still a Sprint account, and did the 5G Trade-In on both of my lines online without any trouble on the 18th.. arrived today. No idea about the Trade-Up portion though.

• Like 1

Huh....yeah I just tried with my wife's LG G7 line and it didn't say anything about it or auto-equate out the ~$11+ monthly.  Particularly interested in doing this for her though because the charge port has gone bad and we've had to resort to wireless charging only until we can get her something else...I'd been kind of looking until this deal came up.

@mikejeep Definitely post and give us your impressions with it after you've used it a few days, that will be helpful for everyone considering it too of course. 👍

• Like 2

So a week and a half later I called again about my bill, they never called back go figure they never do. But yeah they managed to put me back on my old plan, screw that taxes included crap.

Edited by BlueAngel
  • Like 1

Finally got around to swapping a T-Mobile SIM into my iPhone 12 Pro for the "T-Mobile Network Experience".

My first speed test on the street:

IMG_0033.PNG

My Upload speed on T-Mobile is almost 4x faster than my Xfinity Gigabit Internet service's Upload speed at home (35 Mbps).... and the Download speed isn't that far off either.

Amazing.

Doing the SIM Swap was super easy and fast at the T-Mobile Retail Store. T-Mobile is absolutely killing it with the Sprint assets they got from the Merger....

Oh what could have been.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Finally got around to swapping a T-Mobile SIM into my iPhone 12 Pro for the "T-Mobile Network Experience".

My first speed test on the street:

IMG_0033.PNG

My Upload speed on T-Mobile is almost 4x faster than my Xfinity Gigabit Internet service's Upload speed at home (35 Mbps).... and the Download speed isn't that far off either.

Amazing.

Doing the SIM Swap was super easy and fast at the T-Mobile Retail Store. T-Mobile is absolutely killing it with the Sprint assets they got from the Merger....

Oh what could have been.

There is going to be a surprise charge on your bill, think it was like $19 so beware. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

There is going to be a surprise charge on your bill, think it was like $19 so beware. 

Ok. Is there a charge if they mail you the SIM? I have other lines I want to migrate over.