Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, Trip said:

I was going by what I saw on the website when I went earlier today.  I assume the final bill will come to my e-mail tomorrow.

- Trip

My bill that is always emailed to me is always like $650 when in reality it's not even close to that Sprint sucks!

I am confused on something in the lte / nr area... and I have reason for asking because of a current hotspot that I'm using..

The difference in 5g and LTE. I see LTE B66... is there a n66 and LTE66? 

I see people talking about the 5G icon when they are on B2... is there a chart or something that breaks it down?

42 minutes ago, jonathanm1978 said:

I am confused on something in the lte / nr area... and I have reason for asking because of a current hotspot that I'm using..

I see people talking about the 5G icon when they are on B2... is there a chart or something that breaks it down?

The 5g icon means the tower is capable of 5g, it does not mean you are on 5g. The only way to be certain about being on 5G is via your phones secret menus or via apps like SignalCheck

B66 = LTE via Band 66 , n66 = 5G (aka NR) via Band 66.

If you are on non-standalone 5g, then it uses an LTE carrier along with the 5G channels. LTE carriers can be B71, B2, and B66 (I am likely forgetting one). 5G channels can be n71, n41, and I believe they plan to start (or just started) n66.

7 hours ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

5G channels can be n71, n41, and I believe they plan to start (or just started) n66.

Do you have a source in the field indicating n66 is in use? I don't believe it is on T-Mobile. Might be for VZW or AT&T. VZW uses n2 here. TMo is n71/n41 exclusively.

On 4/14/2021 at 7:46 AM, jonathanm1978 said:

At the moment T-Mobile only broadcasts 5G on n71, n41 and mmWave (very isolated deployment).

In the future there will be n25/2 and n66, but not very widespread yet.

As others have said, the 5G icon shows if the band you are connected to is enabled to serve as an anchor band for 5G. At the moment, B2 and B66 serve as potential anchor bands. B12 may be an anchor band in some areas. B71 is not used as an anchor band at this time. The only way to know for sure if you are actually on a 5G band is through an engineering screen or one of the signal apps mentioned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iansltx said:

Do you have a source in the field indicating n66 is in use? I don't believe it is on T-Mobile. Might be for VZW or AT&T. VZW uses n2 here. TMo is n71/n41 exclusively.

In the new updates for the Samsung phones n66 is now enabled for tmobile and cell mapper has a case.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, iansltx said:

I have a SCP user who reached out to me with what appeared to be valid T-Mobile standalone n66 in use in New Jersey.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikejeep said:

I have a SCP user who reached out to me with what appeared to be valid T-Mobile standalone n66 in use in New Jersey.

9 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

At the moment T-Mobile only broadcasts 5G on n71, n41 and mmWave (very isolated deployment).

Yes, n66 is indeed rolling out in select locations.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

In the new updates for the Samsung phones n66 is now enabled for tmobile and cell mapper has a case.

I looked at the case on Cellmapper. Said a 40 MHz channel. Is that incorrect? T-Mobile doesn’t have 40 MHz or 66 anywhere do they?

14 hours ago, Cardsfan96 said:

I looked at the case on Cellmapper. Said a 40 MHz channel. Is that incorrect? T-Mobile doesn’t have 40 MHz or 66 anywhere do they?

Not correct unless they're counting 20x20 as 40 MHz.

On 4/14/2021 at 4:16 PM, Dkoellerwx said:

B12 may be an anchor band in some areas. B71 is not used as an anchor band at this time. The only way to know for sure if you are actually on a 5G band is through an engineering screen or one of the signal apps mentioned.

Wait, someone's seen B12 as an anchor? Looks like it'd have to anchor n41 based on the S21's CA combos. Doesn't seem like much of a point to do that as 2 or 66 will always have at least as much bandwidth, if not more.

2 hours ago, iansltx said:

Wait, someone's seen B12 as an anchor? Looks like it'd have to anchor n41 based on the S21's CA combos. Doesn't seem like much of a point to do that as 2 or 66 will always have at least as much bandwidth, if not more.

I haven't actually seen it as an anchor band, just CA'ed with B2/66 while on n71. But I also haven't seen that it can't be an anchor band, so I wasn't sure. 

Well I am disappointed in both Tmo and Sprint. This location in southern utah that is a "resort" area of sorts. Is blocked by a few mountains. I tracked the tower down so I know where it's at in relation.  Point being, they should have\need to add another tower or something.

The part I am most disgusted by. The roaming agreement with att (which btw solved the problem with a tower in a better spot). But the data here .04 & .03. What type of agreement is that.  And to compound matters (not the providers fault) but the place we are staying, is having a wifi issue as well...  

This trip sucks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, floorguy said:

The roaming agreement with att (which btw solved the problem with a tower in a better spot). But the data here .04 & .03. What type of agreement is that.

This exactly. Same here in Nebraska. Sprint used to roam on USCC here and the speeds were very useable! Not like native Sprint but good enough.

Now when roaming, it wants to latch on AT&T and speeds are horrendous. Like throttled to .05 up and .05 down. SUCKS!

Went to a store today and found out that I am not allowed to do the trade-in offer and put the phone on my free Line On Us number. I would have to put the "financing" on a paying line or buy the phone outright -_-

On 4/17/2021 at 10:36 AM, floorguy said:

Well I am disappointed in both Tmo and Sprint. This location in southern utah that is a "resort" area of sorts. Is blocked by a few mountains. I tracked the tower down so I know where it's at in relation.  Point being, they should have\need to add another tower or something.

The part I am most disgusted by. The roaming agreement with att (which btw solved the problem with a tower in a better spot). But the data here .04 & .03. What type of agreement is that.  And to compound matters (not the providers fault) but the place we are staying, is having a wifi issue as well...  

This trip sucks.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, though said:

This exactly. Same here in Nebraska. Sprint used to roam on USCC here and the speeds were very useable! Not like native Sprint but good enough.

Now when roaming, it wants to latch on AT&T and speeds are horrendous. Like throttled to .05 up and .05 down. SUCKS!

I was in Fayette Missouri this weekend and my phone roamed on ATT but I had no data at all. Thankfully the stadium had Wi-Fi or I would've been dead in the water.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I found a Sprint keep site conversion in progress in Louisville. Sprint's equipment was always flush mounted to the tower structure and when I passed by today an actual rack has been recently installed. I didnt have time to get close enough to see if T-Mobile cabinets had been installed yet. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stlman314 said:

I was in Fayette Missouri this weekend and my phone roamed on ATT but I had no data at all. Thankfully the stadium had Wi-Fi or I would've been dead in the water.

On the way home along the I-15 corridor it parked me on att roaming... I couldn't get it to kick off.  I don't know if they are working on things out here or what...

But even my signal check has been bouncing in and out of signal. It won't let me load the screen recording of it though. So I don't know if it's the app or the signal