Jump to content

Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

If on a ED 1500 plan on sprint and we upgrade to iPhone 12 our plan or plan pricing will not change correct?

Correct, you do not need to change your plan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
[[Template forums/front/topics/activity is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think this is new.  I have my T-Mobile phone locked on Band 41 to pick up sites with the new Massive MIMO gear.  Until today, moving outside an area with T-Mobile Band 41 has always resulted in "No Service," but this afternoon:

https://imgur.com/a/TCo2cs8

I'm not sure I've seen the 312250 PLMN before, and considering the phone has no service (just a never-activated SIM), it doesn't roam, so I'm guessing the phone thinks it's native.  Any ideas what I'm seeing here?

- Trip

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trip said:

I think this is new.  I have my T-Mobile phone locked on Band 41 to pick up sites with the new Massive MIMO gear.  Until today, moving outside an area with T-Mobile Band 41 has always resulted in "No Service," but this afternoon:

https://imgur.com/a/TCo2cs8

I'm not sure I've seen the 312250 PLMN before, and considering the phone has no service (just a never-activated SIM), it doesn't roam, so I'm guessing the phone thinks it's native.  Any ideas what I'm seeing here?

- Trip

Reverse RMOCN, I believe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trip said:

I think this is new.  I have my T-Mobile phone locked on Band 41 to pick up sites with the new Massive MIMO gear.  Until today, moving outside an area with T-Mobile Band 41 has always resulted in "No Service," but this afternoon:

https://imgur.com/a/TCo2cs8

I'm not sure I've seen the 312250 PLMN before, and considering the phone has no service (just a never-activated SIM), it doesn't roam, so I'm guessing the phone thinks it's native.  Any ideas what I'm seeing here?

- Trip

Someone else on the TMo Subreddit mentioned they were seeing 310-250 as well in the Seattle area. Maybe "Sprint B41 that we want to make available to T-Mobile customers because the sites are gonna stick around"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, iansltx said:

Someone else on the TMo Subreddit mentioned they were seeing 310-250 as well in the Seattle area. Maybe "Sprint B41 that we want to make available to T-Mobile customers because the sites are gonna stick around"?

Amusingly, that would fit the bill.  The site I connected to was definitely one that represents a gap in T-Mobile service on any band.  I have no idea why T-Mobile wasn't on that building in the first place. 

If that is in fact the case, I'd be thoroughly interested to find out which sites fit are broadcasting 312250.  Hm, I wonder if I can lock my phone to a specific PLMN...

- Trip

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RAvirani said:

Reverse RMOCN, I believe. 

To expand on this very brief answer I typed in 5 seconds...

T-Mobile has begun to enable RMOCN on certain Sprint sites. These sites will broadcast the 312/250 MCC/MNC and T-Mobile users will be able to roam on them as if they were native sites.

It is important to note that not all Sprint sites will have RMOCN enabled on them - only Sprint "keep" sites are receiving the software update. 

This is a stopgap solution while the team works to optimize inter-network handoff parameters and tonnage config. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The obvious way to find them would be to find a way to lock my phone to the 312250 PLMN, but do you happen to know if it's being applied to Band 26 on those sites as well as Band 41?  Because I could just lock my phone on Band 26 to achieve the same goal in that case.

- Trip

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RAvirani said:

To expand on this very brief answer I typed in 5 seconds...

T-Mobile has begun to enable RMOCN on certain Sprint sites. These sites will broadcast the 312/250 MCC/MNC and T-Mobile users will be able to roam on them as if they were native sites.

It is important to note that not all Sprint sites will have RMOCN enabled on them - only Sprint "keep" sites are receiving the software update. 

This is a stopgap solution while the team works to optimize inter-network handoff parameters and tonnage config. 

Thanks for explaining... now I’m curious:

What does the R stand for in RMOCN?

How is this different from what they’re doing with the 311-490 PLMN that T-Mobile customers can roam on now?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Trip said:

The obvious way to find them would be to find a way to lock my phone to the 312250 PLMN, but do you happen to know if it's being applied to Band 26 on those sites as well as Band 41?  Because I could just lock my phone on Band 26 to achieve the same goal in that case.

- Trip

Answered my own question.

https://imgur.com/a/e1o4UlR

Yes, by putting my T-Mobile phone on Band 26, I was able to force it onto 312250.  When it should have handed off to the neighbor cell, it instead dropped to No Service.  So I'm set to try to identify some keep sites.

- Trip

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dewbertdc said:

Thanks for explaining... now I’m curious:

What does the R stand for in RMOCN?

How is this different from what they’re doing with the 311-490 PLMN that T-Mobile customers can roam on now?

 

I have the same question, how is this any different than the 311 490 PLMN being broadcast on both Sprint and T-Mobile sites that both Sprint and T-Mobile users already have access to? It already allows smooth handoffs between T-Mobile and Sprint sites.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Trip said:

Answered my own question.

https://imgur.com/a/e1o4UlR

Yes, by putting my T-Mobile phone on Band 26, I was able to force it onto 312250.  When it should have handed off to the neighbor cell, it instead dropped to No Service.  So I'm set to try to identify some keep sites.

- Trip

Oh that's awesome!  Nice research you did.  Simple but brilliant.  Looking forward to seeing what you uncover!

Link to post
Share on other sites

It says in the fine print on the Sprint website that the iPhone 12/Pro/Mini access T-Mobile's 5G network.

https://www.cnet.com/news/5g-faq-apple-iphone-12-superspeedy-cellular-connectivity/

The device has a "Smart Data Mode" according to Apple's Website: https://www.apple.com/iphone-12-pro/

5G on iPhone isn’t just faster, it’s smarter, too. When your iPhone doesn’t need 5G speeds, like when it’s making updates in the background, it automatically uses LTE to save battery life. But as soon as speed does matter — if you’re downloading a season of your favorite show — iPhone 12 Pro jumps to 5G. Of course, you can also choose to use 5G whenever it’s available.

So will the device hop back and forth between T-Mobile's 5G network and Sprint's LTE network with the "Smart Data" setting enabled? (It sounds like it will be on by default.)

If you choose to set it to use 5G "whenever possible" and you're in a deployed 5G area, it sounds like you'll be parked on the T-Mobile 5G network. Would there be any reason to fall-back to Sprint's LTE network in that case?

Otherwise, how quickly will T-Mobile pull Sprint iPhones over to the T-Mobile LTE network?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

It says in the fine print on the Sprint website that the iPhone 12/Pro/Mini access T-Mobile's 5G network.

https://www.cnet.com/news/5g-faq-apple-iphone-12-superspeedy-cellular-connectivity/

The device has a "Smart Data Mode" according to Apple's Website: https://www.apple.com/iphone-12-pro/

5G on iPhone isn’t just faster, it’s smarter, too. When your iPhone doesn’t need 5G speeds, like when it’s making updates in the background, it automatically uses LTE to save battery life. But as soon as speed does matter — if you’re downloading a season of your favorite show — iPhone 12 Pro jumps to 5G. Of course, you can also choose to use 5G whenever it’s available.

So will the device hop back and forth between T-Mobile's 5G network and Sprint's LTE network with the "Smart Data" setting enabled? (It sounds like it will be on by default.)

If you choose to set it to use 5G "whenever possible" and you're in a deployed 5G area, it sounds like you'll be parked on the T-Mobile 5G network. Would there be any reason to fall-back to Sprint's LTE network in that case?

Otherwise, how quickly will T-Mobile pull Sprint iPhones over to the T-Mobile LTE network?

It sounds like how it is for all 5G phones. My Samsung Note 20 Ultra is basically a T-Mobile phone. Unless I force the bands, I am more or less permanently on T-Mobile. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

It says in the fine print on the Sprint website that the iPhone 12/Pro/Mini access T-Mobile's 5G network.

https://www.cnet.com/news/5g-faq-apple-iphone-12-superspeedy-cellular-connectivity/

The device has a "Smart Data Mode" according to Apple's Website: https://www.apple.com/iphone-12-pro/

5G on iPhone isn’t just faster, it’s smarter, too. When your iPhone doesn’t need 5G speeds, like when it’s making updates in the background, it automatically uses LTE to save battery life. But as soon as speed does matter — if you’re downloading a season of your favorite show — iPhone 12 Pro jumps to 5G. Of course, you can also choose to use 5G whenever it’s available.

So will the device hop back and forth between T-Mobile's 5G network and Sprint's LTE network with the "Smart Data" setting enabled? (It sounds like it will be on by default.)

If you choose to set it to use 5G "whenever possible" and you're in a deployed 5G area, it sounds like you'll be parked on the T-Mobile 5G network. Would there be any reason to fall-back to Sprint's LTE network in that case?

Otherwise, how quickly will T-Mobile pull Sprint iPhones over to the T-Mobile LTE network?

I'm curiously to see if they come with a Sprint SIM, or if they'll have the T-Mobile R15 SIM in them, giving them the full T-Mobile Network Experience.  My wife is pondering upgrading her iPhone to the 12 from her Xs, and the T-Mobile network would be better for her, especially at work.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, javon23 said:

I assume the end is near for my plan 

Screenshot-20201019-123606-My-Sprint.jpg

We're on Unlimited Freedom and I was able to upgrade several of our lines to the new iPhone 12 Pro. I guess we'll see how much longer that plan lasts as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jporter12 said:

I'm curiously to see if they come with a Sprint SIM, or if they'll have the T-Mobile R15 SIM in them, giving them the full T-Mobile Network Experience.  My wife is pondering upgrading her iPhone to the 12 from her Xs, and the T-Mobile network would be better for her, especially at work.  

I'll bet it's released with a Sprint SIM Card provisioned to "T-Mobile Network Access/ROAMAHOME".

So for 5G coverage it would likely be in the following order:

T-Mobile 5G, which falls back to....

T-Mobile LTE (and T-Mobile VoLTE accordingly), which falls back to....

Sprint LTE (including Wi-Fi calling on Sprint), which falls back to....

Sprint CDMA, which falls back to....

Sprint Roaming Partner.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, clbowens said:

This is interesting:  https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/at-t-aims-to-change-game-wireless-upgrades

 

I wonder if T-Mobile will do the same.

When I was doing the annual upgrade for my iPhone lines, I saw these options:

30 month financing with the ability to upgrade once 50% of the device is paid off. (You can accelerate payments).

18 Month Flex-Lease with annual upgrade at 12 Payments.

Full Purchase Price

--------

Sprint appeared to be offering an additional $200 off for 5-Year+ customers in the form of bill credits over 30 months as well as trade-in offers on financing.

Edited by RedSpark
Corrections
Link to post
Share on other sites

So when I go through my app on our sprint account on my line with a paid off IPhone XS it says I can get the 12 pro for $6.66 a month for 30 month with my trade in for the XS ($500) and a $10 service credit. My question is, if it says my monthly cost for 30 months is $6.66 will my total cost for the phone be about $199? Or do I only get service credits for a certain number of the 30 months? People are saying only $200 in service credits but the way I’d read it is I’d get a $10 service credit every month for more like $300 in service credits. Can someone explain this to me if I’m wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

So when I go through my app on our sprint account on my line with a paid off IPhone XS it says I can get the 12 pro for $6.66 a month for 30 month with my trade in for the XS ($500) and a $10 service credit. My question is, if it says my monthly cost for 30 months is $6.66 will my total cost for the phone be about $199? Or do I only get service credits for a certain number of the 30 months? People are saying only $200 in service credits but the way I’d read it is I’d get a $10 service credit every month for more like $300 in service credits. Can someone explain this to me if I’m wrong.

My understanding is that the bill credits apply over the full 30 months, and if you cancel early you are responsible for the full device price. Not sure if that also means upgrade early.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

My understanding is that the bill credits apply over the full 30 months, and if you cancel early you are responsible for the full device price. Not sure if that also means upgrade early.

That’s my understanding but everyone else is taking about a $200 loyalty credit. Is this different? Either way it’s a good deal but it would be nice to know before I go through with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

My understanding is that the bill credits apply over the full 30 months, and if you cancel early you are responsible for the full device price. Not sure if that also means upgrade early.

Also does anyone know how long this trade in promotion will last? I’d like to upgrade with this trade in plus service credit but I’d rather wait a little longer or take my chance getting one in store but will these same offers apply? I really only want to avoid shipping the phone to my house as delivery to my home is not very consistent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats some pure BS that Sprint is offering these deals for the New iphone and they offered little to nothing for the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

  • gallery_1_23_9202.png

  • Posts

    • Long live Wimax, Clearwire, Sprint Spark, Sprint LTE Advance, Sprint LTE Plus, Sprint!
    • Has your site been upgraded? Because B4/B66 performs worse on the new Nokia AAFIA Massive MIMO equipment in Texas. Before the upgrades, T-Mobile physically split sectors for B2/4/66 and coverage+performance was pretty impressive. B4/66 coverage was actually very close to that of B2 (even outperforming it in some instances). Now that my local tower has been upgraded, I still receive B12 and B2 from it. But my B4/66 now comes from a different neighboring tower as my home tower's B4/66 is drowned out. As you can imagine, I no longer get the same peak speeds as before since CA doesn't play nice with bands coming from different towers. Even the newly added B41 has a better reach than B4/66 (getting 80+ mbps downloads on B41+B41, T-Mobile just needs to optimize load balancing as B41 thresholds seem very conservative).
    • I don't have the "hearing me" problem, but I bet it's network related..... I just rarely get calls and texts when people call me or text me. Telemarketers seem to always get through but never the important calls. The New T-mobile sucks just as hard as the Old Sprint. 
    • At one point i was on B66 all the time at our house, but now i almost never see Band 66.  I haven't paid attention to the PLMNs,  i will have to check.  We haven't had the issue in a few days, hopefully they have fixed whatever the issue was.  
    • It's amazing how quickly T-Mobile is integrating Sprint's network assets after the merger and putting itself on real competitive footing with Verizon/AT&T. With the launch of the 5G iPhone, uptake of new 5G devices on T-Mobile's network must be substantial. T-Mobile's midband capacity from Sprint is making a real difference in usability and speed.
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...