Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

42 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

T-Mobile has 'fresh deals' in the pipeline to celebrate its 5G evolution after Sprint's imminent death

Part I like the most:  Sprint customers will have to wait until sometime "next week" to check out T-Mo's "new, aggressive offers" aimed at enticing everyone to stick with the "unified" mobile network operator.

I wonder if that means the plan I'm on gets made more widely available. I have a two year contract now, but basically got Unlimited Premium minus Hulu or whatever for $55/mo. With a massive phone subsidy.

• Like 2

Is it possible to determine if this is a TMobile Cell Tower?
My son and wife live 1 block from here (Niles IL just north of Chicago).
They are on my Sprint plan and get very poor signal strength.
I am hoping this might be their future TMobile tower.
I figure it isn't Sprint for the above reason, Verizon has a chain of small
cells atop wooden poles along the adjacent roadway US14 the closest
being 1 block from this tower so it wouldn't make sense it's one of theirs.
That leaves ATT and I don't have access to anyone with ATT service to do
a signal check. Looking at Rootmetrics I don't see this as a ATT high signal
area. So (fingers crossed) I'm hoping it might be a TMobile Cell.
Can anyone give me some insight into who's this might be?
For those in the area it's on the Notre Dame HS property adjacent to their
athletic field. My Alma Mater but I didn't spend much time on that field
outside of gym class. :)

Thanks,
J

IMG_6946.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, schmidtj said:

Is it possible to determine if this is a TMobile Cell Tower?
My son and wife live 1 block from here (Niles IL just north of Chicago).
They are on my Sprint plan and get very poor signal strength.
I am hoping this might be their future TMobile tower.
I figure it isn't Sprint for the above reason, Verizon has a chain of small
cells atop wooden poles along the adjacent roadway US14 the closest
being 1 block from this tower so it wouldn't make sense it's one of theirs.
That leaves ATT and I don't have access to anyone with ATT service to do
a signal check. Looking at Rootmetrics I don't see this as a ATT high signal
area. So (fingers crossed) I'm hoping it might be a TMobile Cell.
Can anyone give me some insight into who's this might be?
For those in the area it's on the Notre Dame HS property adjacent to their
athletic field. My Alma Mater but I didn't spend much time on that field
outside of gym class. :)

Thanks,
J

It is a T-Mobile tower and it has Bands 2, 12, and 66 on it according to Cellmapper.

Sidenote: That's a really cool tower. I've never seen one painted blue like that.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2020 at 6:24 AM, Paynefanbro said:

It is a T-Mobile tower and it has Bands 2, 12, and 66 on it according to Cellmapper.

Sidenote: That's a really cool tower. I've never seen one painted blue like that.

Interestingly, in China the carriers tend to paint and mark their cell towers to indicate what carrier they belong to. The first is a China Unicom site - China's HSPA+ and LTE carrier. The second is a building top panel transmitting n41 from China Mobile.

5pkebpzx.jpeg

ndhnpdlmdv.jpeg

Interestingly, in China the carriers tend to paint and mark their cell towers to indicate what carrier they belong to. The first is a China Unicom site - China's HSPA+ and LTE carrier. The second is a building top panel transmitting n41 from China Mobile.
5pkebpzx.thumb.jpeg.23467ff47473b0c46ca7fba7004a55d0.jpeg
ndhnpdlmdv.jpeg.a9ad9051bed3e10fe1376134a085b7a2.jpeg
I read Unicorn at first [emoji23]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How far things have come. 
Back in the early days of cellular I had a brick phone by Motorola and cells were scarce. Knowing where the nearest cell was located would sometimes make the difference of wether or not you could get a signal. I thought of creating a list of sites kind of like the precursor of our ultimate map. This was the time of Computer Bulletin Boards as the Public internet did not yet exist. I posted a message requesting location reports on a popular Chicago BBS (Gene Plantz was the Sysop).  Later that day I got a curt message from Gene requesting I remove my message. It seems he felt (or was told) the list could potentially be used by terrorists to target the infant cellular I infrastructure. I suppose it could but that never crossed my mind. How much things have changed since then. At least in China. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

So they have 9-10 weeks to launch NR-SA. Looking forward to the upload speed boost and latency drop, if their hype is borne out. Though I bet that download speeds would take a hit since NR would no longer aggregate with LTE. Of course, who cares about aggregating with LTE if you're playing with 60 MHz of n41...leave the LTE for folks whose phones don't have 5G.

In other news, the T-Mobile test drive is back...30 days or 30GB, whichever comes first. The hotspot they're handing out doesn't have CA, but does have B71. Have a few family members that'll find that test drive useful I think.

So they have 9-10 weeks to launch NR-SA. Looking forward to the upload speed boost and latency drop, if their hype is borne out. Though I bet that download speeds would take a hit since NR would no longer aggregate with LTE. Of course, who cares about aggregating with LTE if you're playing with 60 MHz of n41...leave the LTE for folks whose phones don't have 5G.
In other news, the T-Mobile test drive is back...30 days or 30GB, whichever comes first. The hotspot they're handing out doesn't have CA, but does have B71. Have a few family members that'll find that test drive useful I think.
NR SA can aggregate LTE. You may lose the latency benefit, though honestly I wouldn't even notice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Do you think they plan to unlock all the bands on the LG V60? Currently can't connect to n71 in STL but my wife's Samsung A71 5G can connect to it. 

15 hours ago, iansltx said:

You can use NR + LTE aggregation while in SA mode. You can also already use 5G for uploads. Both T-Mobile and Verizon are doing that right now. The main benefit of standalone 5G for end-users is reduced latency and better coverage since coverage won't be limited by connection the LTE carrier. 

For example, on T-Mobile's network, until recently only a few of T-Mobile's 5G devices could actually use n71 + Band 71 at the same time which means that 5G range was limited to to the range of AWS/PCS or Band 12 if they deployed it in your area.

26 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

You can use NR + LTE aggregation while in SA mode. You can also already use 5G for uploads. Both T-Mobile and Verizon are doing that right now. The main benefit of standalone 5G for end-users is reduced latency and better coverage since coverage won't be limited by connection the LTE carrier. 

For example, on T-Mobile's network, until recently only a few of T-Mobile's 5G devices could actually use n71 + Band 71 at the same time which means that 5G range was limited to to the range of AWS/PCS or Band 12 if they deployed it in your area.

It's still limited because B71 isn't being used as the anchor AFAIK.

I definitely want the lower latency, but the higher upload speeds are a direct quote from Neville so either he's wrong or there's something else there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grabber5.0 said:
14 hours ago, Rickie546 said:
Was in Kansas City Sunday & Monday and found a few sites changed over to NR41 on T-Mobile and speeds where between 250-360 down and 36-60 up.

Rickie

Where? I haven't run across any of them.

What phone you have? I-435 and State Line coming from St Joe Hospital, 135th and Switzer in OP, and along I-635 between I-70 & I-35 in KCK.

What phone you have? I-435 and State Line coming from St Joe Hospital, 135th and Switzer in OP, and along I-635 between I-70 & I-35 in KCK.
Thanks. I have the OnePlus 8. I haven't been around the city much lately (shock, I know [emoji16]) but when I was traveling down 635 recently, I wasn't looking for 5G coverage.