Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Random question, but I see that Sprint is selling the Oneplus 8 5G. Will this phone still be good in the future after the merger ? I saw some of the earlier 5G phones on Sprint are being disconnected as T-Mobile is moving forward. I wouldn't want to get a phone that is obsolete in less than 12 months.

Random question, but I see that Sprint is selling the Oneplus 8 5G. Will this phone still be good in the future after the merger ? I saw some of the earlier 5G phones on Sprint are being disconnected as T-Mobile is moving forward. I wouldn't want to get a phone that is obsolete in less than 12 months.
The 5G phones are disconnected they just became LTE phones, just not 5G.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

The 5G phones are disconnected they just became LTE phones, just not 5G.

Does this mean that the Oneplus 8 being sold by Sprint will eventually become a LTE phone and lose 5G ? I am interested in the phone, but if it will eventually get cut off from 5G, I'll just wait until all the dust settles.

Does this mean that the Oneplus 8 being sold by Sprint will eventually become a LTE phone and lose 5G ? I am interested in the phone, but if it will eventually get cut off from 5G, I'll just wait until all the dust settles.
Here's what I found6d461a97792a4e06609de1ab22ac2d32.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Here's what I found6d461a97792a4e06609de1ab22ac2d32.jpg

Thanks. I saw this too. Seems like it "should" continue with 5G even post merger but probably still up in the air. I will follow this closely.

Thanks. I saw this too. Seems like it "should" continue with 5G even post merger but probably still up in the air. I will follow this closely.

it will be able to use 5G. N71 and N41 are both sub6 GHz. Just not Mmwave

• Like 1

It can be used. T-mobile sells the same device and it works with N71 and N41 using T-mobile anchor bands.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And to be quite frank mmwave is largely useless at this point and will remain as such for quite some time.  It's just too isolated and doesn't scale. The speeds TMO will get out of 2.5 are gonna be extremely impressive as it is.  I think TMobile will find that they don't even need mmwave as much as they were planning when 600 and 2.5 are perfectly capable of blanketing the nation in a very robust and speedy network. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Swordfish said:

The OnePlus 8 phone is good post-merger.

The first 5G phones such as the Galaxy S10 are obsolete.

• Like 1

I had another question. I saw that Sprint was selling the Oneplus on the website. The store told me I need to make changes to my plan and I cannot buy the phone outright. I have the family 1500 which is a very old plan. I don't want to make any changes to my current plan so I may not be able to buy the phone from Sprint. 

If I buy the phone directly from oneplus I saw it said Verizon, t mobile and AT&T. Will this work for sprint too even though it is not listed on the  site but says T mobile? 

You need to be concerned with TMobile going forward and not Sprint. That brand is obviously being killed so there is nothing to worry about. If rumor pans out, the Sprint brand will be all but retired on August 2nd.  You're a TMobile customer now. We all are. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 4:47 PM, Trip said:

Okay, now that I said I hadn't seen any activity, I'm wondering if I saw something new this afternoon.

https://imgur.com/a/kD5lUkr

I copied one of the pictures and annotated it in red.  Am I right?

- Trip

Following up on myself, my wife and I ventured to Wegmans for the first time since March this morning.  The T-Mobile rack at Hayfield now has a fourth antenna, that resembles (but is taller than) the Sprint Massive MIMO antenna on the rack below it.  Guessing this is the n41 gear.

Oddly, I checked for permits, and there's only electrical permits, and no antenna replacement/addition permit.  Not sure what to make of that.

- Trip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trip said:

Following up on myself, my wife and I ventured to Wegmans for the first time since March this morning.  The T-Mobile rack at Hayfield now has a fourth antenna, that resembles (but is taller than) the Sprint Massive MIMO antenna on the rack below it.  Guessing this is the n41 gear.

Oddly, I checked for permits, and there's only electrical permits, and no antenna replacement/addition permit.  Not sure what to make of that.

- Trip

Columbus permits have lacked antenna detail for a while now, which may be related to anti 5g site violence, competive secrets,  or the FCC leadership wanting licensing sped up / fees reduced.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Trip said:

- Trip

i've seen this a lot around here too with permits not being pulled. several years ago i could check permit reports and have an idea of when upgrades might be starting. i don't know if cities have just relaxed on tower permits or they don't record them anymore or if t-mobile just isn't following the "rules" when it comes to permits, but most of the B71 upgrades that have happened around here over the past year i haven't seen permits for.

• Like 1

Most sites are just listed as antenna upgrades so as to keep fees down and in most cases no permit is required because they are simply replacing like for like. This not only keeps pricing down, but speeds up processes with less paperwork/hoops to jump through

• Like 1

When an antenna is added as was the case at the site I saw this morning, that's not "like for like," at least not in the plain meaning of the term.  Perhaps a lawyer could argue otherwise.

- Trip

Most sites are just listed as antenna upgrades so as to keep fees down and in most cases no permit is required because they are simply replacing like for like. This not only keeps pricing down, but speeds up processes with less paperwork/hoops to jump through
This is actually a common reason that Sprint used to leave unconnected antennas at sites. It allowed them to swap in a new antenna without issue.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here's the press release:  https://www.t-mobile.com/news/press/t-mobile-announces-un-carrier-next-on-july-16/

What:     Now that Sprint is part of T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS), the company will announce what’s next and how a supercharged Un-carrier will continue to change wireless for good.

Who:       T-Mobile CEO Mike Sievert and other T-Mobile executives in a webcast hosted by Golden Globe and six-time Emmy nominee Anthony Anderson.

When:    Thursday, July 16, 2020

• Webcast at 8:30am PT (11:30am ET)
  • Live Media Q&A with execs immediately following

Where:   Watch the webcast and listen to the QA at http://t-mobile.com/uncarrier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmoses said:

potential new "uncarrier" announcement this thursday

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/hqhhv5/sievert_you_feeling_like_this_industry_needs/

being teased as being network related

It's probably nothing. "Uncarrier" announcements have been worthless PR stunts for a while now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trip said:

When an antenna is added as was the case at the site I saw this morning, that's not "like for like," at least not in the plain meaning of the term.  Perhaps a lawyer could argue otherwise.

- Trip

I think you had a question a while back about if Tmo 600mhz antenna can use AWS and PCS? I have seen two towers here using B71, N71, B2, B66, B4 and 3G all from the 600mhz antenna so I guess the answer is yes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Wow. They're really unloading things now. Holy cow.

Money for everything but Sprint. Sad. It's just sad.

It really is b/c Sprint could have been that wireless carrier. Especially in the 5G realm. All SoftBank had to do was build out 2.5 nationally, participated in the 600mhz auction and upgrade the back haul.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, PhillipJames89 said:

It really is b/c Sprint could have been that wireless carrier. Especially in the 5G realm. All SoftBank had to do was build out 2.5 nationally, participated in the 600mhz auction and upgrade the back haul.

Yup. Exactly right, and it would have been very doable.

Sprint issued its statement of non-participation in the 600 MHz Auction on September 26, 2015: https://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-statement-on-the-incentive-auction.htm

$32 Billion just for ARM... Unreal.

• Like 2

I 100% agree. Everything this man had invested in had gone to shit and the. Looks to sell off shares. At this point I believe he doesn’t know what he’s doing. What Sprint really needed was someone who actually cared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2