Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, JonnygATL said:

Are you suggesting that Sprint was attempting to build a network with champagne taste but on a decidedly beer budget? 😂

I need a glass of Rosé champagne. Today has been a long day 😞 

• Like 1

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/01/dish-closes-boost-mobile-purchase-following-t-mobile-sprint-merger/

This deal should help free up some more capital for New T-Mobile now that Boost and Virgin Mobile are officially in Dish’s hands. [emoji389][emoji1430]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bennyjet29 said:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/01/dish-closes-boost-mobile-purchase-following-t-mobile-sprint-merger/

This deal should help free up some more capital for New T-Mobile now that Boost and Virgin Mobile are officially in Dish’s hands. emoji389.pngemoji1430.png

I wonder what happened to the Boost stores in Shentel land.

33 minutes ago, PhillipJames89 said:

I wonder what happened to the Boost stores in Shentel land.

I think they stay. Shentel and T-Mobile are in negotiations about either acquisition or affiliation.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Are you suggesting that Sprint was attempting to build a network with champagne taste but on a decidedly beer budget? 😂

I'm envisioning the others carriers raising their flutes to toast with champagne and sprint with coors banquet

• Like 2

https://www.pcmag.com/news/race-to-5g-putting-5g-to-the-test

This should reveal the true state of 5G in America amongst the big 3 and show what progress New T-Mobile has made. [emoji848][emoji1432]

PS: Seeing Sprint faded out is truly bittersweet but who knows if they could have survived or went bankrupt. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's happening!

T-Mobile seems to already be thinning Sprint's PCS spectrum and using it for their own LTE in NYC. Today T-Mobile expanded Band 2 LTE to 15MHz from 10MHz in NYC. If you take a look at this chart from speedtest.net, you can see that the only way T-Mobile can do that here is by taking 5MHz from Sprint's B-block.

Top-Largest-Markets_TMobile-Sprint-03.pn

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

It's happening!

T-Mobile seems to already be thinning Sprint's PCS spectrum and using it for their own LTE in NYC. Today T-Mobile expanded Band 2 LTE to 15MHz from 10MHz in NYC. If you take a look at this chart from speedtest.net, you can see that the only way T-Mobile can do that here is by taking 5MHz from Sprint's B-block.

Top-Largest-Markets_TMobile-Sprint-03.pn

Nice! Haven't seen any changes in PCS here yet, new T-Mobile owns 30x30 + the G block in Louisville. I just forced my phone to B25 and still see both of Sprints usual EARFCNs live. Looks like both are still operating their original 10x10 carriers for now. I wonder if they'll do something like 20x20 LTE and 10x10 NR when they reconfigure it here. 

4 hours ago, gr8nuguy said:

5cLNhva_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

T-Mobile going to Fremont, Nebraska where it had no coverage before, just sprint

I love that tower... I wonder what is better, a square, or triangle.. in terms of coverage and how it broadcasts out??

2 hours ago, floorguy said:

I love that tower... I wonder what is better, a square, or triangle.. in terms of coverage and how it broadcasts out??

All depends on the terrain/intended coverage area, sector alignment/tilt and antennas used.

Wide beam antennas in a 4-sector 90° configuration can actually do a lot of damage to the SNR. Alternatively narrow beam antennas at a 3-sector 120° can leave big coverage holes between sectors. It's a pretty interesting balancing act.

• Like 2

What we nned to see is a fully converted. market

• Like 1

9 hours ago, floorguy said:

They've done four-sector sites down where I grew up.  600/700 only though, so no 5G-NR at this time.

Are those antennas 600/700 only, or do they also cover PCS/AWS?

- Trip

2 hours ago, Trip said:

They've done four-sector sites down where I grew up.  600/700 only though, so no 5G-NR at this time.

Are those antennas 600/700 only, or do they also cover PCS/AWS?

- Trip

Maybe there will be more antennas hoisted up yet.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/t-mobile-deactivates-sprint-s-legacy-2-5-ghz-5g-ahead-re-deployments

New T-Mobile is officially running the show now and repurposing all of Sprint/Clearwire 2.5 GHz Spectrum.

• Like 2

Wait, so what's the difference between T-Mobile's 2.5GHz 5G and Sprint's 2.5GHz 5G, that causes older 5G phones that could connect to Sprint's implementation to not be able to connect to T-Mobile's? I figured it would just be a PLMN change or something (if that's even a thing with 5G).

Apologies at my lack of understanding of 5G. It's been awhile since I've been active on the forum and I'm going off my previous LTE knowledge. Feel free to link something that may help me understand better 😅

-Anthony

• Like 1

Wait, so what's the difference between T-Mobile's 2.5GHz 5G and Sprint's 2.5GHz 5G, that causes older 5G phones that could connect to Sprint's implementation to not be able to connect to T-Mobile's? I figured it would just be a PLMN change or something (if that's even a thing with 5G).

Apologies at my lack of understanding of 5G. It's been awhile since I've been active on the forum and I'm going off my previous LTE knowledge. Feel free to link something that may help me understand better [emoji28]

-Anthony
The difference is sprint was doing n41 5G+ B41 LTE. TMO is doing B66 and or 2 LTE +n41 5G

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Just now, Tengen31 said:

The difference is sprint was doing n41 5G+ B41 LTE. TMO is doing B66 and or 2 LTE +n41 5G

Is it using both at once? Like carrier aggregation? B66/2 being used for download and upload (like primary carrier) and n41 only being used for download (like secondary carrier)? Again, apologies for the probably basic question lol.

-Anthony

Apologies at my lack of understanding of 5G. It's been awhile since I've been active on the forum and I'm going off my previous LTE knowledge. Feel free to link something that may help me understand better [emoji28]

-Anthony
T-Mobiles 5G requires a lower frequency carrier along with the 2.5Ghz channel(s), though they plan to release standalone 5G in the future. Tmobiles 5G is supposedly more efficient than sprints too.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bennyjet29 said:

https://www.fiercewireless.com/5g/t-mobile-deactivates-sprint-s-legacy-2-5-ghz-5g-ahead-re-deployments

New T-Mobile is officially running the show now and repurposing all of Sprint/Clearwire 2.5 GHz Spectrum.

Good.  Hopefully the small number of Sprint 5G users have now upgraded to newer T-Mobile 5G-compatible devices.

• Like 1

Is it using both at once? Like carrier aggregation? B66/2 being used for download and upload (like primary carrier) and n41 only being used for download (like secondary carrier)? Again, apologies for the probably basic question lol.
-Anthony
I think so. I know I've seen B66 for sure

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

I think so. I know I've seen B66 for sure

A few weeks ago when I got my S20 ultra.. i have seen B66 all over Utah.. But I also bounce all over other bands to... I have seen B71, dont know if its N71 or not... Will SCP show that???

• Like 1

A few weeks ago when I got my S20 ultra.. i have seen B66 all over Utah.. But I also bounce all over other bands to... I have seen B71, dont know if its N71 or not... Will SCP show that???

No only *#0011# does

• Like 1