Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

31 minutes ago, JimBob said:

Former Sprint CEO and current Softbank COO Marcelo Claure will purchase an additional $500 Million worth of shares in T-Mobile with a loan from SoftBank as SoftBank prepares to sell $20 billion in T-Mobile shares to raise needed cash.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sprints-old-boss-adds-500-million-stake-in-t-mobilewith-help-from-softbank-11592870334

im-201427?width=620&size=1.5

G  R  I  F  T  E  R

A

F

T

E

R

• Like 2

Not gifted yet to be able to access those details
This utility is supposedly on most phones and can be triggered with adb or a local shell https://osmocom.org/projects/quectel-modems/wiki/Diag_mdlog

I was told that NSG can open those logs. So if you can get one of a B25 neighbor, I can look through the signaling and try to confirm that T-mobile is asking the UE to scan B25.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

T-Mobile continues to sign 600Mhz spectrum leases with different companies:

T-Mobile has applied for instant spectrum leases with Channel 51 License Company and LB License Co. to lease 600 MHz spectrum in a number of major markets, including Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, New Orleans, St. Louis, San Francisco, Dallas, Atlanta and Seattle, among others.

Currently, these companies are lending 600 MHz spectrum to T-Mobile to help the carrier boost its network during the Covid-19 pandemic.

T-Mobile is still negotiating with Dish to lease some of Dish's 600Mhz spectrum.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/t-mobile-strikes-600-mhz-spectrum-leases-8-out-10-top-markets

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, clbowens said:

Something I just noticed recently, Best Buy doesn't list Sprint leases on their website (at least for the S20's) as an option anymore.

I wish that BestBuy would also sell the LG V60 and OnePlus 8 for Sprint. :( 

• Like 2

West of Portland Oregon and noticing legacy Sprint band 41 is starting to disappear from some sites. Right next to known band 41 tower on band 25 and no band 41 neighbor cells show up on signal check.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dewbertdc said:

Looks like T-Mobile has activated 2.5Ghz 5G in parts of Houston, LA and Chicago today, with at least one report of native T-Mobile LTE in B41 as well.

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/network/opensignal-5g-availability-win-june-2020

Let's not forget that when TMUS throws a tower online, they brag about the entire market getting some love. They did this with their LTE launch, B12 deployment, B71 deployment, and now n41 deployment.

It will probably be months before n41 becomes widespread in Houston or Los Angeles.

I keep looking, but I haven't seen any n41 gear appear in this area (DC).  In fact, I don't really see all that many T-Mobile permits floating around at all.

- Trip

Band 71 has been reduced to 5x5 recently in Columbus OH. No spectrum change.  I assume they put it into n71.

8 hours ago, greenbastard said:

Let's not forget that when TMUS throws a tower online, they brag about the entire market getting some love. They did this with their LTE launch, B12 deployment, B71 deployment, and now n41 deployment.

It will probably be months before n41 becomes widespread in Houston or Los Angeles.

Disappointed so far at their n41 coverage based on reports. Doubt it will be at Sprint density given their habit of only adding radios to sites "when needed".

1 hour ago, Trip said:

I keep looking, but I haven't seen any n41 gear appear in this area (DC).  In fact, I don't really see all that many T-Mobile permits floating around at all.

- Trip

That's a bummer.  T-Mobile's network is pretty congested already in DC proper at least, it's going to be unbearable if they move Sprint users over without shoring up capacity.

2 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Disappointed so far at their n41 coverage based on reports. Doubt it will be at Sprint density given their habit of only adding radios to sites "when needed".

That's why I've been quiet about the numerous posts here regarding T-Mobile's competency when it comes to deploying spectrum. My experience on T-Mobile's network has been good overall but they aren't magical.

n71 started going live in NYC at the end of 2018. It's the middle of 2020 and I'm on n71 about 10-15% of the time, maybe less. Not to mention despite T-Mobile owning Band 2, 4, 12, and 71 here it seems like probably 10% of their sites actually have all bands on it. The rest are a random combo of bands with some literally having only Band 66.

One thing I can say about Sprint is that (here in NYC) despite all the claims about slow deployment, they were incredibly thorough and >90% of their sites had Band 25/26/41 deployed on them.

8 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

One thing I can say about Sprint is that (here in NYC) despite all the claims about slow deployment, they were incredibly thorough and >90% of their sites had Band 25/26/41 deployed on them.

And that was also the problem with Sprint.  They spent loads of money upgrading everything in certain markets so they could get bragging rights even when some of the upgrades in those markets were not needed.  At the same time they all but ignored other markets since they did not have the money to perform the needed upgrades everywhere.  Sprint also could not properly manage where to direct their limited funds based on system load as T-Mobile claims they do.  I would much rather work with a company that uses data to determine where to do their upgrades rather than a company that is just throwing money at a few areas and ignoring other areas.  I just hope that T-Mobile's claims that they direct their upgrades to the places where they are needed based on data actually works.

6 minutes ago, radem said:

I just hope that T-Mobile's claims that they direct their upgrades to the places where they are needed based on data actually works.

I can only speak for NYC once again, but here it didn't work as well as Sprint's choice to put everything everywhere. T-Mobile's deployment method led to some neighborhoods being under-deployed while others have the "full experience". This is as opposed to Sprint where everywhere I went, I always knew that the site I was connected to had all 3 bands available. 

I also don't know if it's fair to say that Sprint didn't deploy based on data. It looks like they simply deployed where it made the most economic sense to invest heavily. That ended up being their largest markets. The unfortunate side effect of this is that if you aren't in a large market the network languished until work was completed in the bigger markets.

There are definitely pros and cons to both styles of deployment. Sprint's biggest issue to me is that they tried a Verizon and AT&T deployment style without Verizon or AT&T money.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, greenbastard said:

T-Mobile is certainly a marketing machine, but that's part of their success story.  They've convinced consumers that their network is good enough for the prices they're charging.  Sprint certainly never made that happen, even when they were giving away lines for free or dirt cheap.

19 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

This is as opposed to Sprint where everywhere I went, I always knew that the site I was connected to had all 3 bands available. 

I think it's only real enthusiast-types like us who really care about what bands we're connected to, speed tests and the like.  The average person doesn't care what band their phone is connected to, or what their peak speed test is, as long as their devices work acceptably the majority of the time.  T-Mobile can achieve that by deploying capacity where it's needed most, without spending the extra money where it would just sit unused.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paynefanbro said:

I can only speak for NYC once again, but here it didn't work as well as Sprint's choice to put everything everywhere. T-Mobile's deployment method led to some neighborhoods being under-deployed while others have the "full experience". This is as opposed to Sprint where everywhere I went, I always knew that the site I was connected to had all 3 bands available. 

I also don't know if it's fair to say that Sprint didn't deploy based on data. It looks like they simply deployed where it made the most economic sense to invest heavily. That ended up being their largest markets. The unfortunate side effect of this is that if you aren't in a large market the network languished until work was completed in the bigger markets.

There are definitely pros and cons to both styles of deployment. Sprint's biggest issue to me is that they tried a Verizon and AT&T deployment style without Verizon or AT&T money.

Are you suggesting that Sprint was attempting to build a network with champagne taste but on a decidedly beer budget? 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

I hear what you are saying but....    Every area is different.   Sprint was weak for me, in spite of being in a well developed suburb of Detroit.   2 or more towers around me have had tickets "open" for almost a full year.   Still as I was 1 year ago, get about 5-10 mbps down and .05-0 up.... it works because I don't upload much at all.        

T-Mobile will get things better, I'm sure.  They have the assets and plan to do it.   New York market is still on-going.   I'm sure they are not done yet, so it's not really fair to say "Some neighborhoods being under-deployed"...while others "have the full experience"....(maybe I misunderstood what you meant?)  I feel strongly that they all will have the "full experience" soon eventually.    

I keep hoping to hear updates on Network work/ redoing, but as of late have heard nothing... Quarter 2 has to be presented soon.   Maybe on that call they will say? 

8 hours ago, JonnygATL said:

Are you suggesting that Sprint was attempting to build a network with champagne taste but on a decidedly beer budget? 😂

So true!!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dewbertdc said:

I think it's only real enthusiast-types like us who really care about what bands we're connected to, speed tests and the like.  The average person doesn't care what band their phone is connected to, or what their peak speed test is, as long as their devices work acceptably the majority of the time.  T-Mobile can achieve that by deploying capacity where it's needed most, without spending the extra money where it would just sit unused.

I think you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that it matters what band people are connected to or arguing the merits of T-Mobile's deployment vs Sprint's deployment. I'm flat-out saying that if the metric is "as long as their devices work acceptably the majority of the time" Sprint has done a better job than T-Mobile at that and the root of the issue is that T-Mobile has done a poor job of deploying all bands to all sites here.

16 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

New York market is still on-going.   I'm sure they are not done yet, so it's not really fair to say "Some neighborhoods being under-deployed"...while others "have the full experience"....(maybe I misunderstood what you meant?)  I feel strongly that they all will have the "full experience" soon eventually.

I feel like this is a cop-out because there are a lot of sites that literally only have Band 66 and Band 2 on them and perform poorly here. These are sites that went live in 2013 and likely haven't been visited again in several years. Meanwhile, Sprint has managed to (in the same span of time) deploy Band 25, 26, and 41 to almost every site in the city, and then remove and replace Clearwire and 8T8R Band 41 antennas with new dual-mode Massive MIMO n41/Band 41 antennas at at least half of their sites while simultaneously building out the largest or second largest (after Verizon) small cell network in NYC.

I simply think that in NYC T-Mobile should be much farther along with its n71 rollout than it is at this point.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I simply think that in NYC T-Mobile should be much farther along with its n71 rollout than it is at this point.

I think we all think that thought in a lot of areas where a particular network isn't to our liking.     Did you miss what I said about Sprint ?    In my area, it was neglected just as you say T-Mobile is in your area.   Towers haven't been operating at 100% for, dare I say a couple of years?!   Multiple tickets issued and calls from Executive Services, but as with all other times, the answer was: "There's nothing we can do to remedy the situation at this time."  "The towers have repair tickets issued."      

I wish T-Mobile tower crews would come to my area in great numbers and revamp all the towers by me.   I want 3 or 4 layer cake!    

As of today, it's only been 3 months since the merger was officially signed off on.   3 months!... way to early to judge what T-Mo has been doing or what's up it's sleeves.   

I keep hoping to hear some positive news coming from this thread,  about what's coming or what's next, and instead, it's nothing more than "T-Mobile is tanking in my area" or "it stinks" ... kind of discussion..It's just Not constructive.    

• Like 1