Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

1 hour ago, Trip said:

They have 180 days to negotiate, which is until about 10/1.  Then 60 days for T-Mobile to buy out Shentel (until about 12/1), then 60 days for Shentel to buy out T-Mobile (until about 2/1), then if all else fails, T-Mobile has two years after that to shut down its network in Shentel territory.

I'm assuming they'll come to terms, good or bad, before all of that plays out.

- Trip

How much T-Mobile coverage is there within Shentel's footprint? I'd like to see them continue independently as an affiliate like they were to Sprint to see how they deploy T-Mobiles spectrum within their network. That's assuming T-Mobile would allow them to use it.  

The outage is affecting me in Louisville, KY. I have data but no calling or texting. I had just noticed it showed an x for the signal bars. 86cb0a3fe485702485e7e8f215f29374.jpga285ca1cfa0049192bfc048fc0545f0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Just now, dro1984 said:

Must be the T-Mobile side only?   My Sprint service is ok, here in SE Michigan.    I sent a text at 3:10 and it went through.  

There are mixed reports online about other carriers being impacted, but legacy T-Mobile seems to be hard down at least for voice calling and SMS.  Even calling customer service gives a "technical difficulties" message and hangs up.

1 minute ago, dewbertdc said:

There are mixed reports online about other carriers being impacted, but legacy T-Mobile seems to be hard down at least for voice calling and SMS.  Even calling customer service gives a "technical difficulties" message and hangs up.

Wow... wonder what it is... maybe somebody cut a fiber line?     Think they'll tell us?

25 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Wow... wonder what it is... maybe somebody cut a fiber line?     Think they'll tell us?

Neville just put out a tweet acknowledging the outage:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdob07 said:

How much T-Mobile coverage is there within Shentel's footprint? I'd like to see them continue independently as an affiliate like they were to Sprint to see how they deploy T-Mobiles spectrum within their network. That's assuming T-Mobile would allow them to use it.  

My experience is that Shentel beats the stuffing out of T-Mobile pretty much everywhere it runs the Sprint network, except in the rural parts of the most recent expansion area (which they put on hold pending the merger).  Shentel invests in its region, and T-Mobile tries to fill the map.

In Buckingham County, VA, Shentel has 17 sites.  T-Mobile has 2.  You wouldn't know it from the coverage map, but you'd know it from the service on the ground.

- Trip

• Like 7

2 hours ago, dro1984 said:

Users from all major carriers are now reporting one issue or another. Lots of people on social media chattering about a DDOS attack.

Seems like a routing issue of some sort.

31 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

Users from all major carriers are now reporting one issue or another. Lots of people on social media chattering about a DDOS attack.

Seems like a routing issue of some sort.

There's no cyberattack (DDoS or otherwise) going on outside the baseline activities we see every day.  Seems like a call and SMS routing issue isolated to T-Mobile with other carriers' customers reporting problems because they're trying to reach folks on T-Mobile.  

• Like 3

https://www.speedtest.net/result/i/3960908526

No official word on if New T-Mobile moved us Sprint customers over in ROC, NY but the unusually high upload speeds show me that T-Mobile has definitely done some network upgrades. I’m also getting much better service in places where Sprint was borderline useless. Hopefully, the New T-Mobile continues making progress and reaching more rural areas. Be nice to have solid service up in the Adirondack’s and Mohawk Valley where I grew up. [emoji100][emoji390][emoji1430]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't know.  The n41 panels Sprint/Ericsson use in Kansas City, Houston and Atlanta are pretty small and squarish like this one.  Is Tmo re-using any Sprint equipment?

Robert

I talked to the Ericsson engineer doing this tower. He said they usually use their own equipment but for this tower they are using Nokia massive mimo and 600mhz equipment. That explains it. They are using Nokia on some and Ericsson on some just like you thought.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mdob07 said:

The outage is affecting me in Louisville, KY. I have data but no calling or texting. I had just noticed it showed an x for the signal bars. 86cb0a3fe485702485e7e8f215f29374.jpga285ca1cfa0049192bfc048fc0545f0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Calling and texting are still down for me. Data is still working. 

6 hours ago, dewbertdc said:

Several updates have been posted to the top of the megathread over on Reddit. Now the FCC is getting involved saying they are launching an investigation. 

• Like 3

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/16/softbank-to-sell-up-to-two-thirds-of-t-mobile-stake.html

Hopefully they have to sell the rest one day. What an embarrassment.

Frankly, I'm glad that SoftBank will have less of a stake/interest in New T-Mobile. It's clear that Son had no idea what he was doing with Sprint and he'd probably bring that incompetence to the New T-Mobile as well.

Seriously, what does Son bring to the table? Nothing... absolutely nothing at this point.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, greenbastard said:

My service is back up and running as of 10:16 PM Central. VoLTE is up and SMS all poured in at the same time. 

According to Cloudfare's CEO, the issue started when T-Mobile was doing network configurations.

https://mobile.twitter.com/eastdakota/status/1272678168638500864

Given how long and widespread the outage was, perhaps the configuration change propagated throughout the network which required a major rollback.

13 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Several updates have been posted to the top of the megathread over on Reddit. Now the FCC is getting involved saying they are launching an investigation. 

Glad to hear this is being looked into. Obviously a major software/hardware flaw or procedural error.

47 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

I am here to declare that I was not one of the million people.

Well, I woke up today and noticed my data speeds were way faster so I checked field test on my iPhone and I’m on the T-Mobile network now. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cardsfan96 said:

Well, I woke up today and noticed my data speeds were way faster so I checked field test on my iPhone and I’m on the T-Mobile network now. 

Where did you look in Field Test to see this on an iPhone?

What does it say to show that you're on T-Mobile's network?

37 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Where did you look in Field Test to see this on an iPhone?

What does it say to show that you're on T-Mobile's network?

Go into field test, LTE, serving cell info and it shows your LTE bands.