Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

It's been many years... but we're going to finally see the true power of 2.5GHz. Proper backhaul does wonders.
If they are only using 40 MHz right now hard hope the key some for LTE for atleast 4-5 years or so

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Tengen31 said:

If they are only using 40 MHz right now hard hope the key some for LTE for atleast 4-5 years or so

I'm doubting they will. I'm not sure they want to run the antennas in split mode. More and more 5G devices over the next few years, LTE is going to be an afterthought to them. NR is more spectrally efficent, so they're probably going to keep pushing hard on getting 5G devices in people's hands.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Yuhfhrh said:

It's been many years... but we're going to finally see the true power of 2.5GHz. Proper backhaul does wonders.

Yup. Throw in a good dash of proper capex and management as well.

• Like 2

That was...quick. I'm sure the areas where you can find T-Mobile n41 are still rare, but all things considered this is quite impressive.

As far as spectrum goes in NYC, the rest is still broadcasting LTE and Sprint n41?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

That was...quick. I'm sure the areas where you can find T-Mobile n41 are still rare, but all things considered this is quite impressive.

As far as spectrum goes in NYC, the rest is still broadcasting LTE and Sprint n41?

No more "Sprint" N41 its only T-Mobile's N41 now, they just repurposed Sprints EARFCN. But since they went all in and deployed it with 4 layers enabled plus proper backhaul to support it, we are seeing these great speeds.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

No more "Sprint" N41 its only T-Mobile's N41 now, they just repurposed Sprints EARFCN. But since they went all in and deployed it with 4 layers enabled plus proper backhaul to support it, we are seeing these great speeds.

New T-Mobile is going to be a force to be reckoned with going forward. I don't think Verizon and AT&T realize it yet.

New T-Mobile is going to be a force to be reckoned with going forward. I don't think Verizon and AT&T realize it yet.
I think they know it, but there's not much that they can do other than densify heavily and deploy mmwave. Plus deploy DSS (which has overhead of ~10% I think). There's no other spectrum available, so they have no options. CBRS (3.5 GHz) won't be auctioned for a few years, so they can't depend on that. They're in a tough situation honestly, at least assuming new T-mobile actually deploys and mobile bandwidth usage keeps increasing.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yuhfhrh said:

I'm doubting they will. I'm not sure they want to run the antennas in split mode. More and more 5G devices over the next few years, LTE is going to be an afterthought to them. NR is more spectrally efficent, so they're probably going to keep pushing hard on getting 5G devices in people's hands.

I’m sure they will shut off LTE on band 41 soon. Probably within 1-2 years. They have bands 2/12/25/66 and some of 71 to handle LTE traffic

Where's all our NYC peeps?    Paynefan, NextgenCPU....   You'all live in NYC and have S20 Ultra's.     Can you guys do a speed test and post?   

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Where's all our NYC peeps?    Paynefan, NextgenCPU....   You'all live in NYC and have S20 Ultra's.     Can you guys do a speed test and post?   

I probably won't have time to drive around and test until this weekend.

It's super limited availability. T-Mobile barely has any n71 in my neighborhood so I'm not expecting to see n41 me anytime soon.

• Like 2

Drive around?  Your signature says you are in NYC.  Where are you ?        Are your speeds bad where you are now?      Not looking for a tower test or anything like that.   Just a single S.T.  .... 

27 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Drive around?  Your signature says you are in NYC.  Where are you ?        Are your speeds bad where you are now?      Not looking for a tower test or anything like that.   Just a single S.T.  .... 

No, speeds are great in my house however, in NYC T-Mobile isn't exactly consistent about deployment of spectrum and new technologies across their network. My local site doesn't have Band 71 LTE or n71 at all.

T-Mobile n41 is barely deployed in the city, it's just opened up for commercial use.

I likely won't have time to drive to Downtown Brooklyn or the parts of Manhattan where T-Mobile has n41 deployed until this weekend.

It’s crazy because years ago when Sprint had all this 2.5 spectrum. All the other carriers talk so bad about it and how it can’t penetrate a paper bag. Now it’s considered the spectrum of the future and now it’s Mid band and not high band.
  • Like 10

I’m sure they will shut off LTE on band 41 soon. Probably within 1-2 years. They have bands 2/12/25/66 and some of 71 to handle LTE traffic

I can’t wait. My b41 connect has been shot to hell over the last two weeks. Sadly my phone is holding onto that connection like no other. I’m going to have to dig out my magic box and hope it helps some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Do you guys think TMobile is done with buying spectrum? Or do you see they going in on future auctions?

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Do you guys think TMobile is done with buying spectrum? Or do you see they going in on future auctions?

They will have to compete for rural band 41 spectrum in an upcoming auction. AT&T and Verizon will likely try to buy key pieces to breakup bandwidth like was done in San Francisco.

They will have to compete for rural band 41 spectrum in an upcoming auction. AT&T and Verizon will likely try to buy key pieces to breakup bandwidth like was done in San Francisco.
Yeah doesn't TMO/ Sprint have enough B41 anyway. TMobile has rural areas where they own B4 but that's not even deployed

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

Sprint, Dish and T-Mobile recently purchased 49ghz spectrum licenses  so im sure they will continue to buy more if they can. 

Edited by PhillipJames89

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

Yeah doesn't TMO/ Sprint have enough B41 anyway. TMobile has rural areas where they own B4 but that's not even deployed

Sprint had lots of small cities with 20+20 and 15 remaining. These sites could easily handle more spectrum.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dro1984 said:

As Paynefanbro has mentioned, deployment is still too early, I went to northern parts of Manhattan and only found some N71(and the rest of the expected bands), just like in the Bronx. I might drive to midtown tomorrow to see if I can latch onto some of that "new" N41.

Being forced onto T-Mobile 100% of the time has brought something to light in NYC, they absolutely needed N41(speeds range from .30-150mb, uploads are almost always unburdened) without that extra 600Mhz from Dish, I just don't see how they would have been competitive, Sprint's B41+N41 deployment was more consistent. 

Regardless, now that T-Mobile has access to 2.5, they can deploy it without their hands tied behind their backs (cough* Softbank cough*) and bring on that sweet backhaul and four-layer N41 goodness.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nexgencpu said:

As Paynefanbro has mentioned, deployment is still too early, I went to northern parts of Manhattan and only found some N71(and the rest of the expected bands), just like in the Bronx. I might drive to midtown tomorrow to see if I can latch onto some of that "new" N41. Being forced onto T-Mobile 100% of the time has brought something to light in NYC, they absolutely needed N41, without that extra 600Mhz from dish, I just don't see how they would have been competitive, Sprint's B41+N41 deployment was more consistent.

Regardless, now that T-Mobile has access to 2.5, they can deploy it without their hands tied behind their backs (cough* Softbank cough*) and bring on that sweet backhaul and four-layer N41 goodness.

I can’t wait until I move to NYC next year. Hopefully there’s layer cake everywhere!

• Like 1