Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

24 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

Whether the merger is still ongoing is immaterial.  I'm not even guessing Masa is really walking away.  My point is that if nothing has been formally announced, I doubt they would actually formally unannounce, even if they do walk away from a deal.

I understand that Robert, and generally I agree with that. You may even be right about that, but it does conflict with the news reports on it. At this point though, I don't really trust these news reports, as there really isn't any indication from Softbank either way, like you said. However, the news is what it is, being a source for the public to know whats going on in the world and such.

Therefore, even if the news is wrong on some accounts, as I believe there is in this situation, there is some truth there still. Such as there may be some disagreement in the negotiations, but whether or not its enough to cancel them and if such is going to be announced, well that is up for debate.

9 hours ago, Arysyn said:

I understand that Robert, and generally I agree with that. You may even be right about that, but it does conflict with the news reports on it. At this point though, I don't really trust these news reports, as there really isn't any indication from Softbank either way, like you said. However, the news is what it is, being a source for the public to know whats going on in the world and such.

Therefore, even if the news is wrong on some accounts, as I believe there is in this situation, there is some truth there still. Such as there may be some disagreement in the negotiations, but whether or not its enough to cancel them and if such is going to be announced, well that is up for debate.

I never was debating whether there is a deal, no deal, walking away, Masa has a new plan...none of that.  You are completely missing my point.  Whether news of deals, or no deal being accurate was not my point.  I was just addressing that someone should not expect a formal announcement if they decide not to pursue a deal.  That's all.  Formally, there is no deal currently.  They don't need to formally announce the current status quo.

'News Reports' have not reported a formal deal, they have report rumor, speculation and leaked info of private negotiations.  Now someone said they will not believe the unannounced still under negotiation deal is off until there is an official cancellation of the deal.  There was no official announcement of a deal, not even a final agreement to what a deal would even be, therefore there will not be an official announcement cancelling it, should the deal fall apart.  There will be news reports on rumor and speculation about the deal falling apart.  Which is what is occurring now. 

As to whether Masa is walking away is bargaining tactic or he has a new plan without T-Mobile, I have not discussed.  But if this deal is dead, don't expect a press release.  That's all I'm saying.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Good thing there is an updated report on the situation and I'm glad to see this. I really didn't think there would be such a sudden cancellation of a deal that has been such an important thing to Masa, and it will take Softbank's board to override him on it to keep him from pursuing the deal, unless something better comes along. Again, I really can't see Softbank spending the money on Sprint network investments the way many of us, including myself, would like to have happen.

To Robert, I really do understand what you've been saying. I may not have worded my posts right before about what you've written, but again I generally agree with you about your point. My only difference with it is in mentioning the news articles pointing out the contrary. I figured I'd expand on your perspective to use the opportunity to mention the discrepancies in the news and how some common sense thinking, such as not expecting an official announcement to a closure of a deal that hasn't even been announced to begin with shouldn't necessarily be expected, regardless of the news reports.

Its because of this, that I wouldn't necessarily trust the news reports about the deal even being over. When there are so many different reporting on other issues, can we really completely trust what is being reported, even about Sprint? However, I don't want that to mean I'm completely denouncing the news, as there still is some value in it, just that it takes some looking through and using logic to figure out what is probably true and what is not. I figure the same when it comes to the issue of having an official announcement of the deal, or closure of it.

Hoping the deal doesn't go thru, then the CWA can't get there hands on a company they haven't been able to do for years. Sprint is the only one of the big 4 who doesn't have the  CWA mucking things up. People are only looking at one scope of things. Sprint employees will loose out, that's for sure. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kg4icg said:

Hoping the deal doesn't go thru, then the CWA can't get there hands on a company they haven't been able to do for years. Sprint is the only one of the big 4 who doesn't have the  CWA mucking things up. People are only looking at one scope of things. Sprint employees will loose out, that's for sure. 

From what I've read over time, and just checked up on now to be sure things are still the same from what I've read last, the CWA does not have an official union of all T-Mobile employees. Sure, CWA is fighting for it, but so far its been resisted by T-Mobile corporate, and if anyone here wanted to look at any of the executive response employee sites online for T-Mobile, along with call center sites, its very clear that many T-Mobile employees are very happy working for T-Mobile without having an official union/CWA representation. There is only a very small group of T-Mobile employees formed with the CWA.

So, there is no indication that a Sprint/T-Mobile merger would mean a CWA involvement in the combined company. Although, it might make things easier for the CWA having some sway with a larger combined company. Still not guaranteed though.

18 hours ago, S4GRU said:

Official word?  How can there be an official announcement that a deal is off.. 

T-Mobile announces Un-merger™.

AJ

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Meeger talks with Charter might be back on (less reliable source) https://seekingalpha.com/news/3307114-ny-post-softbank-merger-talks-charter

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dkyeager said:

Meeger talks with Charter might be back on (less reliable source) https://seekingalpha.com/news/3307114-ny-post-softbank-merger-talks-charter

Some are saying that is just to get a better deal with T-Mobile. Now we have this latest refinancing deal. 

Softbank secures $23.3 billion refinancing for Sprint and ARM.

• Like 1

What a bore. I can’t help but think that time that could have been devoted to planning, promotions and strategy has been used to chase a merger. And that’s both carriers, not just Sprint. What do we really want? Reliable, competitively priced data, calls and text. I still don’t give a rats ass about 5g or coverage in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way on a limb here. But I just read that Uber and SoftBank’s deal still isn’t acceptable to Uber. I know it’s unrelated to Sprint. But just maybe SoftBank is waiting to see how much that deal is going to cost prior to fully moving forward with DT.

3 hours ago, JeffDTD said:

What a bore. I can’t help but think that time that could have been devoted to planning, promotions and strategy has been used to chase a merger. And that’s both carriers, not just Sprint. What do we really want? Reliable, competitively priced data, calls and text. I still don’t give a rats ass about 5g or coverage in the woods.

I am pretty sure that they did not put anything on hold because of the merger. Plenty of people available to plan expansion and network improvement.

4 hours ago, JeffDTD said:

Well, if you were the only US wireless consumer I suppose that would be relevant. 

• Like 2

Not disagreeing with you. But -- I'm sure Wallstreet cares.

Tine warp again

There sure are alot of them lately.
Now that I'm settled with T-Mobile, I'm hoping the merger happens, or at least a T-Mobile/Dish merger would be nice.

You don't want dish anywhere near TMO. Ergen is too type A to work with John L

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

You don't want dish anywhere near TMO. Ergen is too type A to work with John L

True, but I'm referring to if T-Mobile were to buy Dish, with Ergen retiring. However, considering the jabs Legere has made towards Directv's satellites lately, I'm not too sure T-Mobile would even be interested at this point, unless they buy Dish for the spectrum and the SlingTv service. Also, it would be easy to obtain regulatory approval on the Dish merger.

True, but I'm referring to if T-Mobile were to buy Dish, with Ergen retiring. However, considering the jabs Legere has made towards Directv's satellites lately, I'm not too sure T-Mobile would even be interested at this point, unless they buy Dish for the spectrum and the SlingTv service. Also, it would be easy to obtain regulatory approval on the Dish merger.
I would much rather Sprint/dish. TMobile is fine. Sprint needs upgrades going faster.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1