Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

I didn't say B2 should go away. Devices should have both. But too include The G block in any channel wideing will require B25. TMobile Galaxy S8 has both bands.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That is correct. I must have misunderstood you before.

• 2 months later...

Is T-MOBILE going away if Sprint buys them? Or is the FCC going to require Sprint to keep the companies separate. I thought in the past FCC administration and a few Senators that worked on AT&T's attempt to purchase T-MOBILE they wanted four carriers not three. Does the FCC plan to abandon this?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Edited by wizzeeb

Is T-MOBILE going away if Sprint buys them? Or is the FCC going to require Sprint to keep the companies separate. I thought in the past FCC administration and a few Senators that worked on AT&T's attempt to purchase T-MOBILE they wanted four carriers not three. Does the FCC plan to abandon this?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

The new FCC administration being pro-business, likely is going to be in favor of a three-carrier market, since it helps the carriers. The last FCC administration made the appearance of being pro-consumer. Things certainly are different now, especially with Verizon being allowed to video throttle customers already with them, now that contracts with service guarantees are gone.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Round and round we go...

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/t-mobile-and-sprint-are-in-active-talks-about-a-merger.html

I can't imagine having Legere as CEO. It's painful to think about.

hmm. weeks away...ok. I'll believe it when the announcement drops.  Hey look on the brighter side, you'll get "free" stuff. 

With something of this size merging, I wonder how much spectrum Sprint will have to divest. Hell I would even say some of that 600 may have to go bye.

If they do  actually merge all I want is be to able to keep my UF plan. 

...Yep... they are back at it.   All the major news outlets are reporting on it. Stocks are up on both companies.  It still will be an all stock swap... but Masa wants some say.  (??)   Not sure Legere and Son are very compatible together... 

Per the news outlets:  

T-Mobile CEO John Legere is expected to lead any combination.

*Softbank's Masayoshi Son has made it clear he wants a say in how the company is run.

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

Round and round we go...

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/t-mobile-and-sprint-are-in-active-talks-about-a-merger.html

I can't imagine having Legere as CEO. It's painful to think about.

I can't imagine Legere as CEO and Masa Son wanting a say in day to day business as what's being reported!   The two of them go together like oil and water???  I can hear the expletives fly already...most of it coming out of Legere's mouth!   

4 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

I can't imagine Legere as CEO and Masa Son wanting a say in day to day business as what's being reported!   The two of them go together like oil and water???  I can hear the expletives fly already...most of it coming out of Legere's mouth!   

That actually would be kinda funny.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

From the creators of "The Office," coming to NBC this fall...

"Mo & Bill"

Starring Steve Buscemi as John Legere and Joe Pesci as Masayoshi Son.

AJ

2 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

It was just a thought that's all

For me that's what makes T-mobile attractive. I don't think they will have to divest some spectrum. The resulting combo will have some great spectrum assets.  Now if I am the FCC and FTC, as a condition of the merger, I will force them to match or exceed Verizon's coverage. 

Oh gosh, not this again.  I am more against this than I was before.  Tmo and Sprint are getting more competitive and gaining market share against the Duopoly.  Verizon is on their feet, having to actually compete.  The wireless market has never been better for the American consumer.  I'm willing to sit back and see what comes of this, as twospirits recommends, but I think the status quo is right where we need to be nationally with wireless.  The path forward looks good for Tmo and Sprint.

:imo:

Prices will go up if they are allowed to merge.  They are trying to do it now.  It is the 4th competitor, the odd duck out, that pressures the market.  Three roughly equal sized competitors just won't pressure much.  Mark my words!

• Like 14
  • Love 3

11 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

Oh gosh, not this again.  I am more against this than I was before.  Tmo and Sprint are getting more competitive and gaining market share against the Duopoly.  Verizon is on their feet, having to actually compete.  The wireless market has never been better for the American consumer.  I'm willing to sit back and see what comes of this, as twospirits recommends, but I think the status quo is right where we need to be nationally with wireless.  The path forward looks good for Tmo and Sprint.

:imo:

Prices will go up if they are allowed to merge.  They are trying to do it now.  It is the 4th competitor, the odd duck out, that pressures the market.  Three roughly equal sized competitors just won't pressure much.  Mark my words!

Agree 1000% re prices going up. 

Odd thing is that Verizon and AT&T stock prices spiked up on this news.  I'd bet $10 that the reason for this is that Wall Street also sees the end of, or at least a reduction in price competition if the merger is allowed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't want this merger to happen, and I could care less about the Magenta fans saying that Tmobile is too good to merge with Sprint. The fact is Sprint is finally picking steam. They don't really need this merger especially with that massive amount of spectrum for 5G. Massa is wasting his time, the Germans and Legere won't want him to have a say in a combined company period. News like this distract the people that work in the field from executing the company's goals. A combined company will be saturated with debt and will slow the rollout of gigabit class LTE, and  5G.

Maybe this is Verizon leaking false information since they are the ones that would benefit from this merger. They are eager to go back to raise fees and eliminate unlimited again. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, SprintNYC said:

I don't want this merger to happen, and I could care less about the Magenta fans saying that Tmobile is too good to merge with Sprint. The fact is Sprint is finally picking steam. They don't really need this merger especially with that massive amount of spectrum for 5G. Massa is wasting his time, the Germans and Legere won't want him to have a say in a combined company period. News like this distract the people that work in the field from executing the company's goals. A combined company will be saturated with debt and will slow the rollout of gigabit class LTE, and  5G.

Maybe this is Verizon leaking false information since they are the ones that would benefit from this merger. They are eager to go back to raise fees and eliminate unlimited again. 

Actually the combined company will be the least leveraged of the Big 3. Something tells me that the Newco will keep unlimited plans as a pressure point to the other two. And if they keep their plans to match Verizon in coverage, Verizon can no longer use coverage as a differentiator.

Edited by bigsnake49

How will this work with Sprint being CDMA and TMobile being GSM ? To be honest, I've been considering leaving Sprint. I've been using Sprint for awhile, but I'm tired of not having access to other unlocked phones I want to use and the service where I am at is pretty bad. I can understand in the middle of nowhere, but in Orange County, CA the network is more developed and comprehensive, yet everytime I've checked speed test scores with T-Mobile and Sprint mine is always consistently slower. If they merge I'd wait, but I think regulators will halt it.

Been with Sprint awhile, but just really getting fed up.....the recent breaking point was last week I need to make an emergency call and was inside my house....yep "no signal".

5 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

For me that's what makes T-mobile attractive. I don't think they will have to divest some spectrum. The resulting combo will have some great spectrum assets.  Now if I am the FCC and FTC, as a condition of the merger, I will force them to match or exceed Verizon's coverage. 

very true i hope this merger results in a bigger company and more cash for a faster and more effective coverage roll out . and i hope they quit all these gimicks.