Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

There has actually been quiet a bit of BRS/EBS available throughout the years. I've been monitoring this site which is a portal for those interested in buying/selling/leasing spectrum.  They have even held 2.5GHz auctions. There used to be a lot more available through this portal. 

https://selectspectrum.com/2500.html

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I have been one of the biggest supporters of the merger. But I still think they will need to subsidize phones to get people to upgrade. While enthusiasts may upgrade their top line phones every year or two and the top line lines phones support all the bands  common for don't replace their phones for 3-4 years. 

BTW I have the utmost confidence in T-Mobile's management and particularly their network team.

I agree.   As we get better phones that do more, faster, they also get more expensive each time.    We broached the $1000 (US Dollar) a couple of years ago for a top line device.   Now it's becoming $1300-$1400 a pop.     That's a lot of money for me, on a device that I might accidently "flush".     ... unless you were born with a trust fund.      

I too have great confidence in T-Mobile's network team.   Look at what they did with Metro.   It is real how well they handled that.   They proposed a 3-4 year integration and I believe they completed in about 1.5 years if not, quicker!      I'm sure they have had 2 years to figure this one out... I'm sure they have a great plan... I'm dying with excitement to hear it.   I'm sure it's been modified from the one proposed 2 years ago.   They've had some prep time to map and plan!   

Waiting to hear the news.   Like I said earlier... I hope we don't have to wait until April 1st for the plan.   🤞

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rackhivee said:

The only thing that's going to happen is they will cut down on goodies and keep the same prices, which doesn't go against what they promised the DOJ.  Pretty sure we'll start seeing our unlimitted plans throttled a few months after the merger and Dish just sucking and staying an MVNO until VZ, ATT and the new tmobile paying a premium for their wireless licenses.  Not anything diff6from the previous mega mergers from airlines,  ATT/Time Warner, ATT/DirecTV and ATT/Cingular.  All just fluff.

Yeah, I can see TMobile enabling that 1.5Mbps video throttle asap on plans that are no longer available.  My last unlimited plan was 8Mbps video.  TMobile's network would initially get crushed if all these new Sprint subs can steam full HD, lol.  Will not surprise me at all if TMobile does this. 

T-Mobile Parent Is Said to Seek New Terms for Sprint Deal

“The German carrier, the majority owner of T-Mobile, is seeking a lower price because Sprint’s shares have been trading below their level when the deal was proposed in 2018, said the people, who asked not to be identified as the deliberations are private.”

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, twospirits said:

Wow

I believe Masa and Marcelo’s combined incompetence and arrogance managing Sprint post-acquisition rivals Gary Forsee’s during Nextel. There, I said it.

At this point, I’m for the merger to close quickly so I get better coverage. I’ve now crossed that inflection point because it’s abundantly clear to me that that Masa and Marcelo had no intention of and still have no intention of making the changes or investments necessary to make Sprint competitive.

• Like 6

I believe Masa and Marcelo’s combined incompetence and arrogance managing Sprint post-acquisition rivals Gary Forsee’s during Nextel. There, I said it.
At this point, I’m for the merger to close quickly so I get better coverage. I’ve now crossed that inflection point because it’s abundantly clear to me that that Masa and Marcelo had no intention of and still have no intention of making the changes or investments necessary to make Sprint competitive.
Now there is the problem that TMobile wants to renegotiate price and it sounds like he's not willing.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Just now, Tengen31 said:

Now there is the problem that TMobile wants to renegotiate price and it sounds like he's not willing.

Then Masa can ride that train off the rails as far as I’m concerned. I hope he loses every penny possible until the deal closes.

• Like 2

Wow the backstory on Masa Son's ignorance and arrogance is amazing. His refusal to invest in the network and his choice to invest in small cells instead of full sites doomed Sprint. You can use small cells to supplement, not to replace full sites. He thought that the same strategy that worked in Japan would work in the US. He did not understand that strategy would not work besides NYC, maybe San Fran and the downtowns of large cities but would not work in the large suburbs and exurbs.

• Like 3

Maybe the "Sprint" name does need to go away...   

It's been since the middle 2000's, one mistake after another. Up until then it meant innovation and good rate plans.   Masa and his huge ego and lack of listening skills were just another one on the chart.#1.    Small cells, #2...  Magic box idea was ok for what it was,  but his plan was to create a virtual network off these and small cells... #3.    Backfire... all of them.    I thought it was bad news even with my lack of expertise.  Going back a little further...   Nextel was handled very badly.    Very slow to even have a network plan on that one!  (years) until they lost all the premium subs and basically were left with the Boost Mobil subs ( Prepaying / no contract)...and a broken and weak network that they ended up having to write off the books.   WiMax #4!.  - Nothing ever really became.  Bad choice when everyone was choosing LTE.  Some on here will argue that it was available before LTE. (not really in real terms)   I say bull. While all the talk was WiMax, there was equal talk of LTE.  (within a month or two)...     I clearly remember lamenting about Sprint choosing it when everyone was going to LTE.  I kept saying, why can't Sprint do an about face and change the build out plan to LTE??    No more roaming ability I said.   as it turned out... major fumble!   Network was very tiny only in a couple of areas, never amounted to anything other than Protection sites, (around me, there was nothing) even though I bought a WiMax phone.  All done in order to not loose the licenses to the FCC.     Broke and out of money from Nextel purchase  and a lousy network.       ...and lastly... the most famous one that actually was painful for many of us...  Network Vision "The Power Network!"  LOL...  "Rip and Replace all the tower tech"...  OUCH! #5!  at the time, famous bylines:    "Can you hear me now?" = Verizon.    Sprint:  "Hello"? .... "hello, I can't  hear you very well with all that buzzing... but you can't hear me?"....   "Hello?"...opps, dropped the call!"     

I can't wait to be on a better, at least more positively positioned network.                

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 2

One thing that I did not address is the status of the MVNO agreement that Sprint has with Altice and the ongoing efforts of Sprint to deploy small cells on the cable plant networks of Comcast and Charter. I think that it would behoove T-Mobile to take a fresh look at that agreement. Now I know that T-Mobile's network in the NYC/Long Island area is much better than Sprint's so they might not need those small cells as much as Sprint did or might not need as many as Sprint did. It will be interesting to see T-Mobile's thinking vis a vis small cells. I am thinking that they probably think of of small cells as supplementary to the macro site network. Only where there is no other way to deploy a network (NIMBY regulations, no tall buildings around) should small cells replace macro sites.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Wow the backstory on Masa Son's ignorance and arrogance is amazing. His refusal to invest in the network and his choice to invest in small cells instead of full sites doomed Sprint. You can use small cells to supplement, not to replace full sites. He thought that the same strategy that worked in Japan would work in the US. He did not understand that strategy would not work besides NYC, maybe San Fran and the downtowns of large cities but would not work in the large suburbs and exurbs.

It’s simply incredible isn’t it? I wonder who the Sprint “source” is in the article.

“Our government affairs team made it very clear at the time it was the wrong move,” a former high-ranking Sprint executive with direct knowledge of the talks said. “It never occurred to us that he would not listen.”

If I had to guess who the source is here, I’ll bet it’s Kevin Crull: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/12/06/sprint-crull-chief-strategy-officer-leaves.html

People talk about Nextel being a business failure case study. This should be as well.

Edited by RedSpark
Narrowed my guess and clarified
  • Like 1

Nextel was just a bad fit all around.Sprint should have rounded Alltel and Leap instead easy transition since both of them were CDMA and then later acquired Metro. Thicken their network around where they had coverage. They go sidetracked and basically added only 10,000 sites to the network between 2000 and now. T-Mobile added 35,000. They were part of of SpectrumCo that acquired  10x10 AWS spectrum that was then sold to Verizon. Clearwire was the one that brought EBS into the equation. Sprint had 30Mhz of BRS and Nextel brought another 30Mhz. 

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, derrph said:

Son clearly didn’t study the US market before buying up Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All he cared about was his ego and making $$ ... a lot of $$.      Didn't care about the company and didn't care much about the customer.    

• Like 2

Son clearly didn’t study the US market before buying up Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All he cared about was his ego and making $$ ... a lot of $$.      Didn't care about the company and didn't care much about the customer.    
That is clearly obvious [emoji57]. They need to stop this greedy crap

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Came back to bite him on the butt. Didn't SoftBank have a net loss of $100B the quarter before last?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

One thing that I did not address is the status of the MVNO agreement that Sprint has with Altice and the ongoing efforts of Sprint to deploy small cells on the cable plant networks of Comcast and Charter. I think that it would behoove T-Mobile to take a fresh look at that agreement. Now I know that T-Mobile's network in the NYC/Long Island area is much better than Sprint's so they might not need those small cells as much as Sprint did or might not need as many as Sprint did. It will be interesting to see T-Mobile's thinking vis a vis small cells. I am thinking that they probably think of of small cells as supplementary to the macro site network. Only where there is no other way to deploy a network (NIMBY regulations, no tall buildings around) should small cells replace macro sites.

All I will say is that around here, at least, some of Sprint's strand-mount gear is in areas where T-Mobile's service suffers from lack of macro sites. 

- Trip

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trip said:

All I will say is that around here, at least, some of Sprint's strand-mount gear is in areas where T-Mobile's service suffers from lack of macro sites. 

- Trip

I am anxiously waiting to see how expertly the new management team handles the proper blending of macro and small cells. I know that in my area Sprint decommissioned some macro sites and replaced them with small cells and Magic Boxes.

1 hour ago, bigsnake49 said:

I am anxiously waiting to see how expertly the new management team handles the proper blending of macro and small cells. I know that in my area Sprint decommissioned some macro sites and replaced them with small cells and Magic Boxes.

What Sprint did doesn't sound good.   How was the user experience when that happened?     I think T Mobile from what I see and hear has their Network team pretty together.   They really move on getting 600 up and increasing 700 around here.   

Edited by dro1984