Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

It will be interesting to see what happens now with the T-mobile and Sprint merger being approved officially; what that will do for the small number of small regional players that are still left. What will happen with them, only time will tell for example US Celluar, C-Spire, etc. 

52 minutes ago, joshnys8913 said:

It will be interesting to see what happens now with the T-mobile and Sprint merger being approved officially; what that will do for the small number of small regional players that are still left. What will happen with them, only time will tell for example US Celluar, C-Spire, etc. 

I am thinking that they will honor the roaming agreements with them before they expire. There are some that Sprint is leasing spectrum in return for free or very low cost roaming. Those will also be honored. Before the agreements expire they will look at them carefully to see if they still make sense. 

Now as to whether it makes economic sense to have some of the larger regionals around, as long as they make money and get sensible roaming agreements from the big 3 or Dish they will still be around. Did might also sign roaming agreements with them.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

So is T-Mobile going to buy the b41 licenses for the remaining areas where Sprint doesn't have them? If yes, I presume not anytime soon since they just spent a ton of money on merging with Sprint? 

They probably will, otherwise they will have to deal with speculators later on that will ask an arm and a leg. But I am not sure they will buy/lease really rural 2.5GHz licenses unless they are really cheap.

Edited by bigsnake49

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I just don't see them being interested in a 5x5 sliver not even being nationwide. T-Mobile might be if the price is right. Speculators that acquired AT&T's 600Mhz might be interested in selling to T-Mobile to shore up their 600Mhz spectrum position.

Another spectrum play for T-Mobile down the line particularly if they can shore up their 600Mhz position further is selling their 700Mhz band 12 to AT&T. It's not nationwide and AT&T has some 700Mhz A already plus B&C. If they also get Dish's 700 E block they could own the whole lower 700Mhz band (30x30).

Why does it need to be nationwide?  Rural areas will be served plenty fine with existing holdings.  They need holdings for populated areas, just so happens where Comcast owns a lot of stuff.  There are many deal possibilities between Comcast and VZW. I can see VZW picking up 600 only if is extremely favorable price wise and I think Comcast is the only one that could offer them some type of deal. 

No need to sell 700A.  TMobile will be ready for when USCC falls. :) 

Until inter-band CA in 700 is possible, B12+B29 won't be possible. Though I think we are almost there.  Just saw a report of successful 700+800 CA across LTE and DSS 5G.  

I know that a lot of us are gungho about this merger but once the excitement dies down you are faced with the reality of it. Here are some sobering thoughts:

1. The combined company will be approximately $70B in debt

2. They need to integrate the two companies from the business point of view

3. They have to put T-Mobile equipment on 10-11,000 Sprint sites

4. They have put new Sprint/T-Mobile equipment on another 10,000 brand new sites

5. They have to subsidize new handsets that contain all frequencies

6. They have to subsidize 5G handsets

7. They need to deploy 5G nationwide on the combined network

That's just off the top of my head. I am sure we can come with additional expenses. That's a lot of money!!! now they sold Sprint's 800Mhz spectrum to Dish and Boost also to dish for about $5B so that will help but they will still need a lot of money.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 4

I know that a lot of us are gungho about this merger but once the excitement dies down you are faced with the reality of it. Here are some sobering thoughts:
4. They have put new Sprint/T-Mobile equipment on another 10,000 brand new sites
That's just off the top of my head. I am sure we can come with additional expenses. That's a lot of money!!!
On LTE most devices these days have all frequencies so that's a none issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

Why does it need to be nationwide?  Rural areas will be served plenty fine with existing holdings.  They need holdings for populated areas, just so happens where Comcast owns a lot of stuff.  There are many deal possibilities between Comcast and VZW. I can see VZW picking up 600 only if is extremely favorable price wise and I think Comcast is the only one that could offer them some type of deal. 

No need to sell 700A.  TMobile will be ready for when USCC falls. :) 

Until inter-band CA in 700 is possible, B12+B29 won't be possible. Though I think we are almost there.  Just saw a report of successful 700+800 CA across LTE and DSS 5G.  

Who knows what AT&T can do if it owned both B12+B29? They could consolidate into 1 band. One of the reasons I am advocating that they sell 700Mhz block A is they own just a 5x5 sliver. Consolidate on 600Mhz. Buy Comcast's 600Mhz plus whatever the speculators have. They did a great job offloading 800Mhz to Dish. Ofload 700Mhz to AT&T. I am not talking about right now, I am talking in 2-3 years.

Edited by bigsnake49

12 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

On LTE most devices these days have all frequencies so that's a none issue.

Maybe the top of the line devices but I just chose a Motorola g8+ and lo and behold no band 66 no band 71 and no band 25:

4G: FDD LTE band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/18/19/20/26/28, TDD LTE band 38/40/41 

Maybe the top of the line devices but I just chose a Motorola g8+ and lo and behold no band 66 no band 71 and no band 25:
4G: FDD LTE band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/18/19/20/26/28, TDD LTE band 38/40/41 
I don't think that is a American phone since it doesn't show barely any of the bands used here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tengen31 said:

I don't think that is a American phone since it doesn't show barely any of the bands used here

Agreed, no Band 12 (T-Mobile, AT&T, US Cellular) or Band 13 (Verizon).  If it's aimed at the American market, I'm struggling to figure out who the target carrier is.

- Trip

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Who knows what AT&T can do if it owned both B12+B29? They could consolidate into 1 band. One of the reasons I am advocating that they sell 700Mhz block A is they own just a 5x5 sliver. Consolidate on 600Mhz. Buy Comcast's 600Mhz plus whatever the speculators have. They did a great job offloading 800Mhz to Dish. Ofload 700Mhz to AT&T. I am not talking about right now, I am talking in 2-3 years.

There is no point.  They already have 700 gear up using it.  They can still grab more 600. They won't gain anything from selling it but some cash which they don't need.  The offloaded 800 to help please those needed to make this merger happen. 

AT&T already has B12 and Lower 700D. They could go ahead and moved forward with this new LTE band you want or push for B12+B29 CA.

Edited by red_dog007

I thought device subsidies were dead outside exceptions?

So we know TMobile will push updates to Sprint phones to brand them TMobile and enable VoLTE for the new network.

I'm curious how far can we expect TMobile to go?  I have the LG V30+ the US998U.  It supports VoLTE on Sprint but not on TMobile.  I fully expect it to get VoLTE update.  However, the US998U and TMobile's V30, the H932 vary on their supported LTE bands.

US998U has B2,4,5,12,25,26,41

H932 has B2,4,5,12,41,66,71

Can we expect TMobile to recertify these devices to enable all New-TMobile's LTE bands?

So we know TMobile will push updates to Sprint phones to brand them TMobile and enable VoLTE for the new network.
I'm curious how far can we expect TMobile to go?  I have the LG V30+ the US998U.  It supports VoLTE on Sprint but not on TMobile.  I fully expect it to get VoLTE update.  However, the US998U and TMobile's V30, the H932 vary on their supported LTE bands.
US998U has B2,4,5,12,25,26,41
H932 has B2,4,5,12,41,66,71
Can we expect TMobile to recertify these devices to enable all New-TMobile's LTE bands?
VoLTE is literally just a config file. If a phone supports it in general (and really, anything based on a version of Android from the last few years does unless they stripped it out), then it can be added for any carrier. If you had root or Qualcomm tools you can take the config file from a supported phone and add it to a non supported phone and it'll work. I've seen this done a lot in Europe (and can be done on the Pixel 2 and maybe 3, at least pre Android 10).

There may be FCC recertifications required, but from a technical standpoint there's nothing really stopping them. The config can even be rolled out via a device independent app in the Play Store, but I've never heard of a provider doing it. That being said, Android supports it, so it's possible.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Why would they need to buy more B41 licences?   B41 is not a "Rural frequency"...I thought Sprint pretty much had nation-wide licences for B41?   Am I missing something here?      I think you folks are stressing over details really.    Only certain phones, probably a small percentage will require replacement, mostly older flip phones and such.     Most tech-savvy people usually upgrade their equipment at least every 3-4 years...   Mine is in that group and I get all the frequencies.  Besides, with the sale of a newer fancier phone, comes the opportunity to up sell to a different plan.   it will all work out.  Just my thoughts.         On the debt issue, the new company actually has the subs and income to pay debts unlike the old Sprint.       Don't rain on the parade!  This is a positive event.    

Did anyone  catch the article that one of the agencies interview Masa... he was happy the judgement went his way because "he was afraid if it was rejected, he'd have to  bail out Sprint"!!     Where the H*LL was he for the past 6 years?!     Good riddance!  

Snake:  Why you buying those cheap Walmart phones for?   LOL  (Kidding)

Edited by dro1984
  • Like 1

Why would they need to buy more B41 licences?   B41 is not a "Rural frequency"...I thought Sprint pretty much had nation-wide licences for B41?   Am I missing something here?      I think you folks are stressing over details really.    Only certain phones, probably a small percentage will require replacement, mostly older flip phones and such.     Most tech-savvy people usually upgrade their equipment at least every 3-4 years...   Mine is in that group and I get all the frequencies.  Besides, with the sale of a newer fancier phone, comes the opportunity to up sell to a different plan.   it will all work out.  Just my thoughts.         On the debt issue, the new company actually has the subs and income to pay debts unlike the old Sprint.       Don't rain on the parade!  This is a positive event.    
They lack B41 in the Dakotas

1 minute ago, Tengen31 said:

They lack B41 in the Dakotas

Wouldn't it be better to use B25 (1900 mHz) that Sprint and T-Mobile  both have or AWS spectrum for the Dakota's due to the population and terrain?   

Wouldn't it be better to use B25 (1900 mHz) that Sprint and T-Mobile  both have or AWS spectrum for the Dakota's due to the population and terrain?   
Yes but B41 can work in alot of areas there too. Sprint has 15x15+5x5 there. The area in SD that actually has a Sprint signal does currently have 10x10+5x5

12 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

That's just off the top of my head. I am sure we can come with additional expenses. That's a lot of money!!! now they sold Sprint's 800Mhz spectrum to Dish and Boost also to dish for about $5B so that will help but they will still need a lot of money.

The only thing that's going to happen is they will cut down on goodies and keep the same prices, which doesn't go against what they promised the DOJ.  Pretty sure we'll start seeing our unlimitted plans throttled a few months after the merger and Dish just sucking and staying an MVNO until VZ, ATT and the new tmobile paying a premium for their wireless licenses.  Not anything diff6from the previous mega mergers from airlines,  ATT/Time Warner, ATT/DirecTV and ATT/Cingular.  All just fluff.

13 hours ago, dro1984 said:

My. main phone is the latest iPhone so it's covered but that's on Spectrum on my main line. I buy the cheap Android phones for my Sprint line. 🤣

I have been one of the biggest supporters of the merger. But I still think they will need to subsidize phones to get people to upgrade. While enthusiasts may upgrade their top line phones every year or two and the top line lines phones support all the bands  common for don't replace their phones for 3-4 years. Now combined with the 5G upgrade they might save some money if my pest control man is any indication. He was so gung ho to get a 5G phone he would not need any subsidy upgrade. He obviously bought all the hype about the miraculous 5G. Maybe they can subsidize some journalist to hype up 5G if only to beat China to it (that was one of the selling points of the merger). So maybe just may they can get by not subsidizing handsets by hyping 5G. But then they might actually have to accelerate  5G deployment on 2.5GHz.

Sprint does not own all 180 Mhzof 2.5GHz in all markets. They might own 100-120Mhz in certain markets. Or they might not own spectrum in what used to be rural areas but now are suburbs or exurbs. They will look at it and make wise purchases. They have not told us what spectrum they will use for their fixed wireless. Possibly 2.5Ghz in rural areas?

BTW I have the utmost confidence in T-Mobile's management and particularly their network team.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2