Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

Closure as soon as April 1st. I will be interested to see what is performed on both sides in relation to capital outlay plans until that date. Will things slow down? Will both come together to start the integration process? Can integration happen before April 1st? All very exciting. Frankly, I am glad it has finally happen.  Either way it landed, I just wanted it to end.

• Like 2

My service will only get better.    T Mobile around the Motor City has 600, 700, 1600/1700 and 1900 mHz all around as well as all the spectrum (800, 1900, 2.5G )  Sprint will provide.  Getting excited for things to come!!    When the closing happens (hopefully) I might get a new phone later this year to celebrate!!   🙂

• Like 1

Does anyone think that T Mobile will hold a press briefing in the next couple of days or do you think they will make us wait until April 1st?  Hopefully it won't have an "April-Fools" prank built in.  

7 hours ago, S4GRU said:

And what will this all mean for S4GRU?  We are in a wait and see mode before we decide how to adapt.  Until then, we will be here every day with you all, plotting our wireless destiny.

Robert

Perhaps a rebirth as T5GRU? 

• Like 2

Yeah I am looking forward to seeing T-Mobile fill in the holes in their network using some (10,000) of sprint's sites as well as adding another 10,000 new sites. In my neck of the woods T-Mobile has a really solid network mainly due to Metro's network. Lately I have seen them deviate from Metro's sites but they are doing OK. Much better than Sprint. They can just move over Sprint spectrum and deploy M- MIMO 2.5GHz panels and we're good to go.

7 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

My service will only get worse. Coverage won't change. Data service will plummet as will call performance. Good thing I have VZW and AT&T to do all the heavy lifting now. 

How is it going to get worse. They will let you roam on either network as soon as the merger closes. They will add 10,000 Sprint sites to T-Mobile's network. Then they will add brand 10,000 new sites. Now will they ever match the coverage of AT&T and Verizon? talk to me in 3-5 years.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

They will let you roam on either network as soon as the merger closes.

That does me no good when both carriers coverage here is trash.

7 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

How is it going to get worse.

Both have very little spectrum. No b41 here. Congestion is already terrible on T-Mobile as it is. The non-contiguous 10x10 b25 they get (yep, that's all they're getting because that's all Sprint has here apart from b26) isn't going to be enough to offset bringing everyone on to one network. T-Mobile's VoLTE performance here is terrible as well. No VoLTE from Sprint yet, just ol' reliable 1x. So call performance is going to plummet. That's how it's going to get worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad The Beast said:

My service will only get worse. Coverage won't change. Data service will plummet as will call performance. Good thing I have VZW and AT&T to do all the heavy lifting now. 

You've clearly made the change to what works best for you. It's not constructive to continually come here to tell us how bad service is where you are. You've made your point. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

It's constructive in that it's managing expectations. If you don't agree then that's fine. Let's agree to disagree. 

Your situation is pretty unique to your area. Most of the rest of the Sprint and T-Mobile coverage areas perform better and have more flexibility with spectrum. You've made it clear that service is not great in your area in many, many posts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

Your situation is pretty unique to your area. Most of the rest of the Sprint and T-Mobile coverage areas perform better and have more flexibility with spectrum. You've made it clear that service is not great in your area in many, many posts. 

So question for you. Why is most post "not constructive" when the "my service will get better" posts are even less constructive?

7 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

So question for you. Why is most post "not constructive" when the "my service will get better" posts are even less constructive?

It's the number of times you've complained about "trash" service or coverage. We get it. That is all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Comcast does not have nationwide spectrum, only in places they offer service. 

As you can see from the map they only own a 5x5 slice everywhere except one market. Not exactly worth deploying it. They can sell/lease to T-Mobile or Dish or to speculators. No Comcast selling it to Verizon will not ease Verizon's spectrum crunch. Verizon will vigorously participate in the CBRS and C-band auctions. That will ease the crunch. I do not anticipate T-mobile participating in those two auctions but I anticipate AT&T, Verizon and the cable cos participating.

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 10.17.41.png

I do think VZW pushed themselves into a corner. They have a fantastic network, being the most spectrum constrained, having 65million more customers than uncarrier and still delivering speeds on par with uncarrier.  But damn, New-TMobile is going to have 50 to 80MHz of 5G SA here soon.  😮

It'll take time for TMobile to merge and optimize the additional ~45million and spectrum.

I only see VZW getting this 600 from Comcast if they get some kind of great agreement. But yeah, I think VZW will go big on CRBS and then go even bigger making sure they secure the first available 100MHz in C-Band.

Only 10x10 and 5x5 respectively. Only 5x5 of b2 is used for LTE. B4 is for LTE. 
That depends on the market. Where I live TMobile currently has 15x15 on B2 they can use part of Sprints A block to go to 20x20. Then when and if they shut down H+, they can do 20x20+10x10 for B2/25

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, red_dog007 said:

I do think VZW pushed themselves into a corner. They have a fantastic network, being the most spectrum constrained, having 65million more customers than uncarrier and still delivering speeds on par with uncarrier.  But damn, New-TMobile is going to have 50 to 80MHz of 5G SA here soon.  😮

It'll take time for TMobile to merge and optimize the additional ~45million and spectrum.

I only see VZW getting this 600 from Comcast if they get some kind of great agreement. But yeah, I think VZW will go big on CRBS and then go even bigger making sure they secure the first available 100MHz in C-Band.

I just don't see them being interested in a 5x5 sliver not even being nationwide. T-Mobile might be if the price is right. Speculators that acquired AT&T's 600Mhz might be interested in selling to T-Mobile to shore up their 600Mhz spectrum position.

Another spectrum play for T-Mobile down the line particularly if they can shore up their 600Mhz position further is selling their 700Mhz band 12 to AT&T. It's not nationwide and AT&T has some 700Mhz A already plus B&C. If they also get Dish's 700 E block they could own the whole lower 700Mhz band (30x30).

I just don't see them being interested in a 5x5 sliver not even being nationwide. T-Mobile might be if the price is right. Speculators that acquired AT&T's 600Mhz might be interested in selling to T-Mobile to shore up their 600Mhz spectrum position.
Another spectrum play for T-Mobile down the line particularly if they can shore up their 600Mhz position further is selling their 700Mhz band 12 to AT&T. It's not nationwide and AT&T has some 700Mhz A already plus B&C. If they also get Dish's 700 E block they could own the whole lower 700Mhz band (30x30).
The E block is B29 so not sure where you are getting the 30x30 from

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At this point, the most interesting thing to me would be a map of proposed 'sprint keep sites'.

Numbers I have seen indicate ~11,000 sprint sites that would be kept (and I am assuming subsequently bolstered with tmobile equipment as well).

My interest is completely personal - the area where I live is where Sprint bought out spectrum and customer-base from US Cellular years ago, and generally speaking, the Sprint coverage here is very good to great.  There is VERY weak tmobile coverage though, if any at all.  My personal hope is that there are a considerable number of 'Sprint keep sites' located around rural Central IL.  Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 4