Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

On the other hand, who would loan them the money? The sentiment right now is that the merger will not be approved and that Sprint's options are limited to declaring bankruptcy, spectrum sales and shrinking their footprint to only those markets they are making money in, like MetroPCS. 

https://www.fiercewireless.com/operators/what-will-sprint-do-if-t-mobile-deal-fails

Edited by bigsnake49

T-Mobile is doing well, they are expected to score $11.8B in revenue for their 4th Quarter and about $44B for 2019. The only fly in the ointment for T-Mobile would be 5G. Yeah I know about their 600MHz but there is just not enough bandwidth there. However if they can hold off until both CBRS band and C-band become available then they can come away with some really nice spectrum. Sprint on the other hand...their market cap is now $18B. Come on cable cos, or Amazon or Google! While you're at it, bring Dish's spectrum into the bargain and let them be an MVNO. Both the cable cos and Dish have something to lose with all the cable cutting. Why not cannibalize their own cable instead of letting somebody else cannibalize them? 

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

Interesting info from the T Mob earnings call... our friend Craig Moffett asked the  question that "IF" the merger does not get approved, is there any ideas of entertaining a network sharing agreement with Sprint  and utilizing the 2.5G spectrum.       T Mobile execs are firmly saying that the merger WILL be approved, but in case it's not, there are other options available to pursue with Sprint, including Spectrum sharing.     If anyone is interested in hearing it, it's about 3/4 into the earnings call.   

• Like 7

The head of the U.S. Justice Department's Antitrust Division expressed his concern that the cohort of states suing to block the proposed merger between Sprint Corp. and T-Mobile US Inc. would "undercut federal enforcement decisions."

U.S. District Court Judge Victor Marrero is expected to deliver a decision later this month on the antitrust trial brought by 14 attorneys general. The AGs argue that the deal will not benefit consumers, despite efforts by Sprint (NYSE: S) and T-Mobile (Nasdaq: TMUS) to create a viable fourth carrier by selling brands and assets to Dish Network Corp. (Nasdaq: DISH) and promises of nationwide 5G services.

"Unfortunately, the scenario that has unfolded here is incompatible with the orderly operation of our antitrust merger laws and telecommunications regulations," Assistant Attorney General Makan Delrahim said in a Wednesday speech in Washington. "It creates the risk that a small subset of states, or even perhaps just one, could undermine beneficial transactions and settlements nationwide."

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2020/02/06/sprint-tmobile-merger-doj-delrahim.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

That's what I have been saying from the beginning. States have no standing in blocking a merger. That is the bailiwick of the feds. Hopefully the federal judge makes the right decision.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

On 2/6/2020 at 9:17 PM, bigsnake49 said:

The head of the U.S. Justice Department's Antitrust Division expressed his concern that the cohort of states suing to block the proposed merger between Sprint Corp. and T-Mobile US Inc. would "undercut federal enforcement decisions."

U.S. District Court Judge Victor Marrero is expected to deliver a decision later this month on the antitrust trial brought by 14 attorneys general. The AGs argue that the deal will not benefit consumers, despite efforts by Sprint (NYSE: S) and T-Mobile (Nasdaq: TMUS) to create a viable fourth carrier by selling brands and assets to Dish Network Corp. (Nasdaq: DISH) and promises of nationwide 5G services.

"Unfortunately, the scenario that has unfolded here is incompatible with the orderly operation of our antitrust merger laws and telecommunications regulations," Assistant Attorney General Makan Delrahim said in a Wednesday speech in Washington. "It creates the risk that a small subset of states, or even perhaps just one, could undermine beneficial transactions and settlements nationwide."

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2020/02/06/sprint-tmobile-merger-doj-delrahim.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

That's what I have been saying from the beginning. States have no standing in blocking a merger. That is the bailiwick of the feds. Hopefully the federal judge makes the right decision.

Not only that.. but its along party lines, just to give another middle finger to the president... And if I am not mistaken.. most of them are union workforce states??  I am sorry but unions are not useful anymore, for anything more, then creating a lazy workforce

• Like 5

1 hour ago, floorguy said:

Not only that.. but its along party lines, just to give another middle finger to the president... And if I am not mistaken.. most of them are union workforce states??  I am sorry but unions are not useful anymore, for anything more, then creating a lazy workforce

Let's leave politics out of this forum.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

Let's leave politics out of this forum.

A. putting your head in the sand wont make it go away

B. Thats EXACTLY what this is. Sadly enough.

C. Unless you can come up with a viable reason/excuse why the states did this?? Something that is under federal purview, not state..

• Like 4

5 hours ago, floorguy said:

A. putting your head in the sand wont make it go away

B. Thats EXACTLY what this is. Sadly enough.

C. Unless you can come up with a viable reason/excuse why the states did this?? Something that is under federal purview, not state..

Unions are certainly a factor.  Attempting to get a better deal for your state was another, such as Texas (Republican) etc. General views on enforcement of merger deals is another.  Rewarding a firm (Dish) that skirts the rules is yet additional factor.  Basically a urban/rural divide both in search of lower prices. The rural areas often only have two real carrier choices while the urban have four.

The irony is the FCC decision on 2.5 licenses no longer having to set aside a small percentage of the usage for non-profit use and in fact being saleable will have a much greater impact on prices in urban areas over time. Yet this seems uncontested.

Bringing politics into this forum? Not needed and against the rules.

3 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Unions are certainly a factor.  Attempting to get a better deal for your state was another, such as Texas (Republican) etc. General views on enforcement of merger deals is another.  Rewarding a firm (Dish) that skirts the rules is yet additional factor.  Basically a urban/rural divide both in search of lower prices. The rural areas often only have two real carrier choices while the urban have four.

The irony is the FCC decision on 2.5 licenses no longer having to set aside a small percentage of the usage for non-profit use and in fact being saleable will have a much greater impact on prices in urban areas over time. Yet this seems uncontested.

Bringing politics into this forum? Not needed and against the rules.

I don't think that Sprint employs unionized labor. They might have had at some point or another but they outsourced it to outside contract firms. There is/was a worry that the merger would lead to loss of Boost franchises. However Dish will probably absorb most of them. There is still a genuine concern that the merger will lead to higher prices. That has already happened to the top three. It is only Sprint that is lagging behind but even they have increased their prices on the truly unlimited plans. Now they had some really stupid promotions that cost them money. 

I think that the other three carriers pretty much ignore Sprint's pricing. Sprint is no longer a price setter. They know that no matter what Sprint does they don't need to compete on price with Sprint. The perceived quality of their network will overcome whatever price. So basically Sprint is competing against itself denying itself the money to improve its network.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

I think that the other three carriers pretty much ignore Sprint's pricing. Sprint is no longer a price setter. They know that no matter what Sprint does they don't need to compete on price with Sprint. The perceived quality of their network will overcome whatever price. So basically Sprint is competing against itself denying itself the money to improve its network.

Maybe in Sprint's weak markets that might be the case, but definitely not in there strong ones..

• Like 1

There is an article in Blooberg about the price that T-Mobile will pay if the merger is approved. As you probably know Sprint's price per share has gone down since the merger was announced to the point that its market cap is $20B from the $34B the day prior to the announcement of the merger. If T-Mobile is too tough in extracting the best price, I could see other potential suitors appear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedSpark said:

God dang, this has been a long wait for me buying, selling, buying, selling, buying but mostly holding shares of Sprint since 2011.  I might be tens of thousands of dollars richer in the morning...

• Like 8