Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

55 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

There are only 3 options so take your pick.

You are on a ship you don't want to be on and will only jump after a failed merger? Why not just jump now, or a long time ago?

I jumped ship myself recently, but not because of the merger. I had a great post-paid plan but it still sucks paying $102.53/mo for two lines for essentially internet where combined less than 12GB/mo are consumed.  Moved to save money.  Now have 3 lines, pay for Hulu and still save $67/mo. 

Edited by red_dog007

I will move also.   My decision will come once the merger is decided.  If approved, I will likely take one of the cheaper New T Mobile plans.  

If Merger is rejected, I will probably have to go to an MVNO like Google  or Mint Mobile.    I have a 1 person plan (1 line) and there are no deals. Yes, I know places like Mint have $15 plans now...but I want to stay with a major carrier for international travel and for other personal reasons.     Family plans get all the deals.    I can't justify paying $71 / month with little under 1 gig of internet used each month.    I just bought out my phone (Samsung 9+ from Sprint) and it's now unlocked.    I'm just waiting for the decision.   I'm hoping it goes through, because I too, believe the combined network will be incredible and I would like to use T Mobile's home wireless video service once it gets off the ground.  

Edited by dro1984

47 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

You are on a ship you don't want to be on and will only jump after a failed merger? Why not just jump now, or a long time ago?

I jumped ship myself recently, but not because of the merger. I had a great post-paid plan but it still sucks paying $102.53/mo for two lines for essentially internet where combined less than 12GB/mo are consumed.  Moved to save money.  Now have 3 lines, pay for Hulu and still save $67/mo. 

I see the value in a combined network, for the past few years Sprint has just stalled and hasn't improved much. So if the merger fails and Sprint just becomes a small carrier in specific areas it has no value to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

I see the value in a combined network, for the past few years Sprint has just stalled and hasn't improved much.

That is a total lie based on Ookla data from the past two years. Took themselves from last place to second place. https://imgur.com/a/uvn9sBC

• Like 1

I will move also.   My decision will come once the merger is decided.  If approved, I will likely take one of the cheaper New T Mobile plans.  
If Merger is rejected, I will probably have to go to an MVNO like Google  or Mint Mobile.    I have a 1 person plan (1 line) and there are no deals. Yes, I know places like Mint have $15 plans now...but I want to stay with a major carrier for international travel and for other personal reasons.     Family plans get all the deals.    I can't justify paying $71 / month with little under 1 gig of internet used each month.    I just bought out my phone (Samsung 9+ from Sprint) and it's now unlocked.    I'm just waiting for the decision.   I'm hoping it goes through, because I too, believe the combined network will be incredible and I would like to use T Mobile's home wireless video service once it gets off the ground.  
I hear you!

Right now I have two [emoji3577] lines on my plan, my father and I...I will be adding my wife to my plan either with Sprint/T-Mobile or one of the other two [emoji3577] carriers. So I will have 3 active lines of service, but I will have no choice but to actually have a 4 Line account since there are no such Family Plans with only 3 Lines.

Looking at all the plans with all of the carriers, I will actually pay less for Family Plan with 4 Lines then a plan with only 3 lines. The extra 4th line is a complete waste, but what can you do

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Speeds are good when LTE is available, coverage on the other hand not so much.

I'll agree with you that coverage hasn't improved much. But "Sprint has just stalled" is definitely not true. They've been working hard on upgrading and improving what they've got and it shows in the speed test data. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

I'll agree with you that coverage hasn't improved much. But "Sprint has just stalled" is definitely not true. They've been working hard on upgrading and improving what they've got and it shows in the speed test data. 

Speed isn't everything unfortunately.

• Love 1

It's funny how much goalposts get moved as time has gone on. For years people complained that Sprints greatest downfall was how slow their network is. Now that they're faster than both Verizon and T-Mobile speed doesn't matter?

Within their current footprint, Sprint is the most competitive carrier there is. They're a lot like T-Mobile at the start of "Uncarrier". They offer a great combo of speed and price.

Sprint is stuck because their brand is ruined. No one wants to join Sprint no matter how many good things people say about them and because of that Sprint can't get the revenue to do meaningful coverage expansion (which is what I'm assuming most of you who are complaining want).

That's why they're so focused on beefing up their current network and deploying 5G. They're hoping that more people within their current footprint will join and stay and when they have a solid foundation of users and a strong urban/suburban network they can finally focus on building out their network everywhere else. 

It's literally the T-Mobile formula.

• Like 7

It's funny how much goalposts get moved as time has gone on. For years people complained that Sprints greatest downfall was how slow their network is. Now that they're faster than both Verizon and T-Mobile speed doesn't matter?
Within their current footprint, Sprint is the most competitive carrier there is. They're a lot like T-Mobile at the start of "Uncarrier". They offer a great combo of speed and price.
Sprint is stuck because their brand is ruined. No one wants to join Sprint no matter how many good things people say about them and because of that Sprint can't get the revenue to do meaningful coverage expansion (which is what I'm assuming most of you who are complaining want).
That's why they're so focused on beefing up their current network and deploying 5G. They're hoping that more people within their current footprint will join and stay and when they have a solid foundation of users and a strong urban/suburban network they can finally focus on building out their network everywhere else. 

If the merger fails, they need to rebrand and get their hands on Dishes spectrum. Sprint does need 600 MHz, some people have complained about them not getting that.

• Like 1

The other thing is now people are claiming that Sprint will be sold for parts if the merger fails.

Brad!    NO... There is no time table.    The judge said he will try to make a decision as soon as possible.

You picked up Phone Arena's headline ... that's their opinion.

Here is what the judge said: (Feburary was not what was said.)    It may be, but it's not concrete.  

What's next

Judge Marrero opened Wednesday's hearing reminding attendees that, "there is life beyond the merger of T-Mobile and Sprint." He declined to say when he will return with a final ruling on whether to approve the merger, but said he would "endeavor to decide as quickly as possible."

Sprint and T-Mobile make a final argument for why their massive merger should be allowed to go through

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 8:53 AM, Paynefanbro said:

This is my opinion of Sprint based on my having at least 1 line of service with them since 1999. Their coverage is not up to par with the other 3. I'm not talking about coverage on a rural road in South Dakota. I am talking about coverage inside one's home in a suburban setting. They need to thicken their coverage so that that it is consistent. If I am getting 50MBits outside my house and .5Mbits inside then the network is not consistent. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 3:57 AM, Tengen31 said:

If the merger fails, they need to rebrand and get their hands on Dishes spectrum. Sprint does need 600 MHz, some people have complained about them not getting that.

If it fails, not only do they need that spectrum.. they should merge with dish, and create a whole new name for both companies.. because BOTH have had brand issues. And both are fine. I have dish, and live them 10x over the other 2 (direct and Comcast)

And let Ergan either BE or find a legere type face and hey aggressive

1 hour ago, floorguy said:

It's been reported in the past that they're just waiting until the lawsuit ends and will follow the federal court's lead. They don't want to step on the toes of Xavier Becerra.

1 hour ago, RedSpark said:

They have to assume that the merger isn't going through and conduct themselves as such. 

• Like 1

They need money.      Merger or not.    If it happens they can reinvest it or absorb it somehow back into the business or worst case ... cash it out.        If the merger is rejected... they will need something to operate with.  

3 hours ago, RedSpark said:

It's only $1B and they will use it to refinance debt. Not a big deal ether way. Now if it was $10B and it was going to be used for anything other than refinancing debt then we're talking.

• Like 2