Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

11 hours ago, cyclone said:

If Son didn't do anything wrong, Sprint would be buying T-Mobile. That was his plan all along, right? Instead he has made wrong choice after wrong choice. Now he's rummaging through the rules of the capitalist business playbook to get a ROI through this merger attempt by trying to attach himself to the combined entity to leech off it's assumed success. Should have just played the short game by setting up his direct purchase, Sprint, for success instead of playing the long game of merging. Isn't that how capitalism works? You spend money to make money?

No.  Capitalism + Freedom = Spend your money the way you want to. 

Even if other people want you to do it differently.  Lots of rich people fail.  He is allowed to make less returns on his money then you would, or lose all of it.   There is not only one road map allowed.

I am not endorsing his decision.  I wouldn't have done it his way.  

Robert

• Like 1

It seems that the Justice Department and FCC filed an amicus brief supporting the merger:

"In their filing, the Justice Department and FCC argued that if the states, led by New York and California, succeed in killing the deal the end result will be that rural areas of the United States will be slower to get access to 5G, the next generation of wireless."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u-justice-department-fcc-fight-152453519.html

• Like 4

The press views this merger as win or lose while the DOJ and FCC say this: "Thus, the key question is whether any
additional relief is necessary to protect competition and advance the public interest." ( from the above source). 

You can also see that other carriers (AT&T and Dish) and cable companies (Comcast and Altice) were trying to keep info out of the public eye.  They appeared to be about 1/2 successful.

A real treasure trove of documents.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 1:50 PM, bigsnake49 said:

It seems that the Justice Department and FCC filed an amicus brief supporting the merger:

"In their filing, the Justice Department and FCC argued that if the states, led by New York and California, succeed in killing the deal the end result will be that rural areas of the United States will be slower to get access to 5G, the next generation of wireless."

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u-justice-department-fcc-fight-152453519.html

TMobile is moving a long pretty quick with nationwide 5G.  I don't think a merger will speed up their nationwide expansion at all.

Plus, what is more important than 5G is rural areas is full spectrum deployments.  Especially for coverage, and if you want to offered home internet. Everywhere I go that is rural and has newer TMobile coverage, they don't deploy all their spectrum and in some cases deploy HSPA for whatever reason and don't deploy their B12 for whatever reason. 

I think what makes 5G lesser of a deal, especially for rural, is competition from services like Starlink. 

Looks like there is still another month+ left for this judge. 

I am curious how the judge is going to view T mobiles ads about nationwide 5g deployments without the merger and how the merger will help them go faster. Tmobile is in a tough position to talk in to different direction and hope they don't look at the other. 

2 hours ago, Flompholph said:

Looks like there is still another month+ left for this judge. 

I am curious how the judge is going to view T mobiles ads about nationwide 5g deployments without the merger and how the merger will help them go faster. Tmobile is in a tough position to talk in to different direction and hope they don't look at the other. 

5x5 of 5G does not a usable 5G network make. They need Sprint's spectrum to deploy 5G to its full glory.

5x5 of 5G does not a usable 5G network make. They need Sprint's spectrum to deploy 5G to its full glory.
The are actually doing 10x10 no much difference in know

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The trial is over by the way. Now we have to wait for the judge's opinion. Of course I think the merger will be approved without any or minimal changes to the agreement. I thought that the states missed an opportunity to settle with T-Mobile. They still have time to save face.

Edited by bigsnake49

2 minutes ago, bigsnake49 said:

The trial is over by the way. Now he have to wait for the judge's opinion. Of course I think the merger will be approved without any or minimal changes to the agreement. I thought that the states missed an opportunity to settle with T-Mobile. They still have time to save face.

Closing arguments in January, likely set to encourage a deal.

4 minutes ago, dkyeager said:

Closing arguments in January, likely set to encourage a deal.

Yeah but it's a formality. The judge is already writing his opinion (well his clerk is :)). I think of closing arguments as theater particularly when it involves an experienced judge and not a jury.

The untouched areas where the judge could step in are likley the coverage distance/ building penetration between 1x800 and VoLTE, the handling of customers CDMA phones, billing transition, and a few areas where the new T-Mobile would totally dominate the spectrum licenses. These were all basically dictated in the Shentel nTelos merger.

No way they are writing the opinion this week. January 15(almost a month) is closing arguments and I am giving them at least a week for anything to be written and filed. 

Has there been made a distinction between Tmobile 5G and new Tmobile 5G in court? I have not seen any mention of Tmobile 5G being not real high speed 5G in their ads. 

36 minutes ago, Flompholph said:

No way they are writing the opinion this week. January 15(almost a month) is closing arguments and I am giving them at least a week for anything to be written and filed. 

Has there been made a distinction between Tmobile 5G and new Tmobile 5G in court? I have not seen any mention of Tmobile 5G being not real high speed 5G in their ads. 

Since my wife is a judge I know exactly how the system works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/cowen-sees-court-blocking-t-mobile-sprint-deal

Key quote:  "The court set post-trial arguments for January 15, with each side having two hours to make their closing arguments. New Street expects the court will rule sometime between mid-February and mid-March."

- Trip

• Like 3

Beings that Dish is still supposed to do business as usual as if there was no merger talks, what is the likelyhood the FCC will approve Dish's AWS4 request for extension? Can the FCC take the merger into consideration if they approve the extension or not (if the merger fails).

Can the Judge consider this as part of the case?  With the possibility of the FCC not approving the extension on a failed merger and the FCC revoking 40MHz of spectrum, this would make things interesting. It would also give TMobile other opportunities to acquire more spectrum below 6GHz.

No merger, FCC revoke licenses, TMobile could pick up Dish for super cheap after their stock tanks from losing 40MHz of spectrum.

A Dish without AWS4 will still have nationwide 40MHz and up to 60MHz of 600, AWS-H and AWS-3.  That would put TMobile closer to AT&T holdings with an acquision of Dish, net them 10 million TV subscribers and increase yearily revenue by $13billion.

Edited by red_dog007

Why couldn't Att or Verizon buy Dish instead of Tmobile?
No just no. TMO or Sprint do something but not those two.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1