Official Tmobile-Sprint merger discussion thread

What's the point in jumping ship if they look too weak if the merger doesn't go through? They have looked weak and everyone has been calling for their bankruptcy for like a decade now. If the merger doesn't happen, they will still be around. If you like the service and your plan no need to leave really.

Im jumping ship now because Im adding a third line and want to save money. 

39 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

What's the point in jumping ship if they look too weak if the merger doesn't go through? They have looked weak and everyone has been calling for their bankruptcy for like a decade now. If the merger doesn't happen, they will still be around. If you like the service and your plan no need to leave really.

Im jumping ship now because Im adding a third line and want to save money. 

I'm going to jump because my contract will be up... before I buy another phone, I want to be with T mobile.    Better coverage for me personally, and much cheaper for a single plan.   Even if I have to go to Metro... I don't care.   I've been with Sprint since  2000.   I've had enough of them and their continual  struggling and many incomplete promises.  Just me... guess I'm just frustrated with them personally.    

Edited by dro1984

4 hours ago, dro1984 said:

I'm going to jump because my contract will be up... before I buy another phone, I want to be with T mobile.    Better coverage for me personally, and much cheaper for a single plan.   Even if I have to go to Metro... I don't care.   I've been with Sprint since  2000.   I've had enough of them and their continual  struggling and many incomplete promises.  Just me... guess I'm just frustrated with them personally.    

2000! Wow. Celebrate your 20yrs by paying off that contract and bouncing sooner rather than later! lol .

I've got one line with a lease on it and actually paying it off today so that phone can get sim unlocked and I be on my way. 

• Like 1

I might do the opposite of you guys and bring my small herd of MVNO phones to Sprint gambling that a good upgrade discount will be made available upon merger.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 12:22 PM, dro1984 said:

So... what do you all think if the merger actually doesn't happen?   Do you think T Mobile and Sprint will enter into a network sharing situation or???   Just say'in.    The investment analysts are saying it has a little over a 50% chance of getting cancelled as the state's attorney's generals have a pretty good case...   Thoughts?

If they don't merge I would say that network sharing is the next best thing. Hell they might just include Dish in it.

Edited by bigsnake49

If they don't merge I would say that network sharing is the next best thing. Hell they might just include Dish in it.

I don’t see why they didn’t do that from the start. This merger has been nothing but a long in the tooth journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, derrph said:

I don’t see why they didn’t do that from the start. This merger has been nothing but a long in the tooth journey.

I have been advocating this for at least 5-7 years now if not earlier.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

From some of the latest articles, Wall Street Journal, NYT....  detailing the proceedings today, the Judge doesn't want a long drawn out case.   Short and to the point.  Something tells me this may be good?   IDK.    He didn't want anyone to hold opening arguments as he said that is pointless.   He instructed both the states and T Mobile Sprint to start calling witnesses...basically lets get this show on the road...   Good or bad, I hope it's short and not a 6 month trial.    

If he goes in favor of the states, it will throw the entire business merger structure into question in how mergers are reviewed, processed and approved or denied.    It could have very long lasting implications for any future companies eyeing a combination.   

T-Mobile and Sprint head to court to defend their merger  

Edited by dro1984
insert news link
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

From some of the latest articles, Wall Street Journal, NYT....  detailing the proceedings today, the Judge doesn't want a long drawn out case.   Short and to the point.  Something tells me this may be good?   IDK.    He didn't want anyone to hold opening arguments as he said that is pointless.   He instructed both the states and T Mobile Sprint to start calling witnesses...basically lets get this show on the road...   Good or bad, I hope it's short and not a 6 month trial.    

If he goes in favor of the states, it will throw the entire business merger structure into question in how mergers are reviewed, processed and approved or denied.    It could have very long lasting implications for any future companies eyeing a combination.     

So apparently there are rumors that Sprint and T-Mobile got absolutely slaughtered today. Don't know if those rumors are true or not.

5 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

So apparently there are rumors that Sprint and T-Mobile got absolutely slaughtered today. Don't know if those rumors are true or not.

Where are you getting this?   I looked, I didn't see anything in the news pool that would suggest this...?

Worst I heard was the Judge chastised both sides for the amount of witnesses both side have to argue (some 14 or more)  and asked that the list be pared down substantially.    He also did not allow opening arguments.   See news link above.    I wouldn't call any of this a "Slaughter"...   on day one??!   

Edited by dro1984

Geeze...Sprint is always caught in some. Some like this is self inflicted. I just don’t see how he can really clean that up too much. That’s feeding into the hands of the AGs. I wonder now what other blunders Sprint has now. I wouldn’t be shocked if more come out. Sprint ALWAYS show their hand.

7 minutes ago, derrph said:

Geeze...Sprint is always caught in some. Some like this is self inflicted. I just don’t see how he can really clean that up too much. That’s feeding into the hands of the AGs. I wonder now what other blunders Sprint has now. I wouldn’t be shocked if more come out. Sprint ALWAYS show their hand.

The spin cycle is warming up.

There’s more where that came from. I guarantee it.

Put stuff like this in a phone call. Not a text/email.

The spin cycle is warming up.
There’s more where that came from. I guarantee it.
Put stuff like this in a phone call. Not a text/email.

Oh I believe it. Sprint digs their own holes. It gets hard to stand behind them then they do ish like this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, derrph said:

Oh I believe it. Sprint digs their own holes. It gets hard to stand behind them then they do ish like this.

I agree.

Personally, I want this merger to fail because as a Sprint Shareholder I was lied to by Marcelo/Masa for years about Sprint. Aside from the loss of competition that I believe will happen with a Merger, since Marcelo/Masa want the merger, I don’t.

I want to see Masa open that checkbook of his and be forced to put some real capex into Sprint. This is SoftBank we’re talking about here and they own nearly 85% of Sprint. That seems easily forgotten when Sprint is referred to as the #4 Carrier.

I agree.
Personally, I want this merger to fail because as a Sprint Shareholder I was lied to by Marcelo/Masa for years about Sprint. Aside from the loss of competition that I believe will happen with a Merger, since Marcelo/Masa want the merger, I don’t.
I want to see Masa open that checkbook of his and be forced to put some real capex into Sprint. This is SoftBank we’re talking about here and they own nearly 85% of Sprint. That seems easily forgotten when Sprint is referred to as the #4 Carrier.

I agree but sadly they had no intention on fully owning Sprint but grabbed the low hanging fruit, prep it up and sell it off. The Apple of their eye was T-Mobile from the start. Sprint is easily forgotten they’re either the #4 carrier or just not mentioned at all and it’s sad that Sprint has gotten to this point. What is needed is a CEO/Owner who is serious about righting the wrongs and making Sprint a serious competitor besides on price. I don’t want the merger to go through in some aspects but truth of it is that Sprint will struggle with the people who are running the show. We are at the point now where we are seeing Sprints true with asset wise but will never see it fully blossom under the Sprint brand due to bad choices, CEOs and past mergers(nextel, not executed well) and full network upgrades (good old network vision——what a time)

• Like 2

Before Masa opens up the "checkbook", pigs will grow wings and fly.    He has an attention span of 5 mins.   He just keeps investing in anything crazy and unusual...

SoftBank’s Masa Son still trusts his gut and isn’t done splashing billions on ‘crazy’ entrepreneurs

With this kind of flakiness, there is no hope for him to come back to Sprint to spend money.    He'll just let it wither to the point of bankruptcy.     So Redspark, wishing for a no merger is a waste of time.   You will end up getting nothing either way.    Unless your stance was to "punish" Masa .... It's pocket change to him.   He could care less!  You stock is what it is... only possibly worthless in bankruptcy.    You're only hope is the stock swap of a merger.   

Edited by dro1984

41 minutes ago, derrph said:

Yeah, eventually the prices will rise. They have already risen from the bottom reached couple of years ago. Those lower prices are what have driven Sprint to the edge of bankruptcy. If you can't have enough of a cash flow, you can't invest in capex, if you don't have enough of a capex, you are going to fall further behind on the network side, if you fall further behind, customers will leave. Sprint can show them what low prices have led to. How many jobs were lost in order for them to be marginally afloat. How much capex was foregone, how  bad their back end systems are. How much they have to invest in order for them to be competitive on the network side.Show them that due to their lower customer numbers they don't have the scale. Due to smaller scale, the cost per customer goes up.

Prices will eventually rise because the new T-Mobile will have to invest in infrastructure to increase its coverage and capacity. If you want ubiquitous coverage you have to pay for it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I agree.

If the merger fails, Sprint will fail.  Masa has no intention (nor, in hindsight, has he ever had any intention) of actually investing in Sprint.  If the merger fails, he will either sell Sprint off in pieces, or will sell it wholesale to someone like Dish who will run it into the ground (even further than it already has been run into the ground).  Sprint has no future as a stand-alone company. The question will be:  Will Sprint be sold from Chapter 11?

I have hung on this long as a Sprint customer only because I hope that the merger will provide a low-cost path to new phones and decent price plans.  If the merger fails, my only questions will be which carrier I can afford and what phones I can afford.  Sprint will die sooner or later (probably sooner).

• Like 3